Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it is time to say goodbye to my 14 Model S ... I know I know you probably thinking if he had Tesla he can probably afford Model X but not in my case. I still need a true minivan and something I can just pay cash and never deal with loan payments, VANKULTURE YO :) :)

we are expecting second baby and we are family of 5 now :) two strollers and tons of baby stuff just won't fit in my Tesla

so I found 06 Sienna Limited, all options - GPS, Navi, auto folding rear seats and even horribly looking steps etc, it has 70k miles and asking price is $9500, I'm in NorCal btw.

is that a good price? Is it worth too look for 07+ or 06 was good too? Is engine noticeably weaker than 3.5? Anything else? I know steering boots leak, anything else?

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
only few things that I don't actually like is the look of the 2nd gen Siennas compared to my sister's 07 Odyssey it looks like it was designed for someone in their 80s to haul grandkids and no aftermarket support :( but yet it is the best option I found so far :(

·
Registered
94 Posts
One note to factor into your decision process. Starting in 2007 Sienna's came with the 3.5l V6 that has a timing chain rather than a timing belt. Not a major deal breaker (both are very reliable engines). The 3.3l in the 2006 will require a timing belt change at around 90k (at which time most usually get their water pump replaced as well). The cost of that preventative maintenance will be around $1000.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I purchased my 06 LE with 134K miles .. for $7000 - 7 Years ago. So that 06 better be a 2012 at that price.

So it is time to say goodbye to my 14 Model S ... I know I know you probably thinking if he had Tesla he can probably afford Model X but not in my case. I still need a true minivan and something I can just pay cash and never deal with loan payments, VANKULTURE YO :) :)

we are expecting second baby and we are family of 5 now :) two strollers and tons of baby stuff just won't fit in my Tesla

so I found 06 Sienna Limited, all options - GPS, Navi, auto folding rear seats and even horribly looking steps etc, it has 70k miles and asking price is $9500, I'm in NorCal btw.

is that a good price? Is it worth too look for 07+ or 06 was good too? Is engine noticeably weaker than 3.5? Anything else? I know steering boots leak, anything else?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wow - I am looking at the California prices - they seem to want more than the vehicle is really worth. After my comments regarding 06 considerations .. I have posted some search results..

Some things to consider an 06 is 14 years old and as such falls into that category of obsolete parts .. OEM does not need to make the majority of parts anymore -
2007 the engine had a transition to the 3.5L - that means the 3.3L is out dated.
2010 the body style changed - so body panels and interior/exterior parts for 2007-2009 might possibly work with 2006.
On the plus side - second manufacturers produce parts too at a reduced cost.

06 Has a timing belt that will need to be changed at around 100k or so (130k to 150k is pushing the life of the belt but has been done) @72000 you will have basically 2 years before this should need to be done. Your power sliding doors - there is a tiny motor in the door that will eventually go out - you can get the motor for $10 online - but it is a Job to replace - 4 to 8 hours.

There are other components that should be tended to at the same time (Spark Plugs $40, PCV Valve $10, Valve Cover Gaskets$25 - VVT screens replaced $30, Coolant Bypass hose $20, knock sensor wires $40, Thermostat $10 and Thermostat housing $30 - they are in there for plugs so all these other things should be done too - while these can be done by an individual - they do take time to do. The hardest of these is the Timing Belt / water pump - all of the other things can be done by an individual in about 1 day to 1 day and a half - but will save you a good $1500 - $2000.
If you invest $200 in parts and DIY you can do all but the timing belt and water pump for about $200 and a weekend.
Timing Belt and water pump - is a bit more difficult - a dealer will charge about $1000.

In the Sacramento Area 2012 with reasonable mileage :

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow - I am looking at the California prices - they seem to want more than the vehicle is really worth. After my comments regarding 06 considerations .. I have posted some search results..

Some things to consider an 06 is 14 years old and as such falls into that category of obsolete parts .. OEM does not need to make the majority of parts anymore -
2007 the engine had a transition to the 3.5L - that means the 3.3L is out dated.
2010 the body style changed - so body panels and interior/exterior parts for 2007-2009 might possibly work with 2006.
On the plus side - second manufacturers produce parts too at a reduced cost.

06 Has a timing belt that will need to be changed at around 100k or so (130k to 150k is pushing the life of the belt but has been done) @72000 you will have basically 2 years before this should need to be done. Your power sliding doors - there is a tiny motor in the door that will eventually go out - you can get the motor for $10 online - but it is a Job to replace - 4 to 8 hours.

There are other components that should be tended to at the same time (Spark Plugs $40, PCV Valve $10, Valve Cover Gaskets$25 - VVT screens replaced $30, Coolant Bypass hose $20, knock sensor wires $40, Thermostat $10 and Thermostat housing $30 - they are in there for plugs so all these other things should be done too - while these can be done by an individual - they do take time to do. The hardest of these is the Timing Belt / water pump - all of the other things can be done by an individual in about 1 day to 1 day and a half - but will save you a good $1500 - $2000.
If you invest $200 in parts and DIY you can do all but the timing belt and water pump for about $200 and a weekend.
Timing Belt and water pump - is a bit more difficult - a dealer will charge about $1000.

In the Sacramento Area 2012 with reasonable mileage :

·
Registered
335 Posts
I would pass on the 06. 09 and 10 is the sweet spot on gen2 Siennas. All the kinks have been ironed out and they can still be had easily for under $10k. If going older, stick to 07 or newer to get the 3.5L with more power, more torque and timing chain for reliability and reduced maintenance. If older than 09, make sure the VVTi oil line has been replaced under recall and if it has towing package, replace the oil cooler lines with all metal as soon as you get it.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes but the Kids really are worth it. You can't take all of them at once out to the parks and on vacations in a Tesla.. but you can in a Sienna. I love my Sienna .. I like to drive it - it is comfortable on those long trips and has plenty of room.

Can't say I have had a Tesla - the nice thing about them is no ICE and Emissions stuff to be maintaining. When the newest X or Y comes out with a normal price tag - I am much more interested - I have been following Electrics since the late 90's and the advent of Li-Ion batteries. When electrics get 600 miles on a charge - I think they will be in my sweet spot - in the South like Florida AC is not really what I would call an option and for sure it will consume the batteries.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes but the Kids really are worth it. You can't take all of them at once out to the parks and on vacations in a Tesla.. but you can in a Sienna. I love my Sienna .. I like to drive it - it is comfortable on those long trips and has plenty of room.

Can't say I have had a Tesla - the nice thing about them is no ICE and Emissions stuff to be maintaining. When the newest X or Y comes out with a normal price tag - I am much more interested - I have been following Electrics since the late 90's and the advent of Li-Ion batteries. When electrics get 600 miles on a charge - I think they will be in my sweet spot - in the South like Florida AC is not really what I would call an option and for sure it will consume the batteries.
I put my deposit for 500 mile cybertruck :) that is going to be my family hauler in 2022 lol

Thanks everyone, I decided to pass on this one, even though it is in great shape and it had most of the stuff I needed, I'll be looking for newer Siennas or Odysseys

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’ll echo what everyone else is saying. If doing Gen 2, stick with ‘09-‘10. Thats what we did. Picked this up for $8591, 87k miles. Every option except AWD.

·
Registered
81 Posts
...timing belt that will need to be changed at around 100k or so (130k to 150k is pushing the life of the belt but has been done) @72000 you will have basically 2 years before this should need to be done. Your power sliding doors - there is a tiny motor in the door that will eventually go out - you can get the motor for $10 online - but it is a Job to replace - 4 to 8 hours.

Thanks for listing all these things together, and this list should be a sticky, if it isn't already.

About the timing belt/water pump change, how long does it take to do at home?

·
Registered
9 Posts

Hi Op, I’m in Central Coast cali, I have a ‘15 sienna limited premium awd (loaded). I also have a Tesla M3P. I believe your tesla Model S should have FUSC (Free Unlimited Supercharging)... just be warned that tesla usually cancels that when you change ownership on the title now a days (unless the original purchase order PAID for it and it shows up as a line item on the sticker). I would call up tesla and confirm about the FUSC is retained/lost upon transfer of title.

Tesla car insurance in cali is actually pretty inexpensive... I was paying about $190/mo on my all state for just the Tesla after all discounts (had a bunch of discounts). Last month I switched to tesla insurance and my rate is now just $73/mo for that car alone on a separate plan.

FUSC is money in the bank too if you can wait for super charging, plus its cheaper to charge at home with off peak rates. Consider keeping the model S as a spare ride (Those things are roomy like an SUV).

So one other factor to consider is, extended warranty on the sienna, So i got my van new and got the wheel/tire/pdr warranty and also got a 10yr/125k zero deductible platinum warranty. My rims have never been curbed but I have noticed these worm like lines on the face of the rims... I learned that this is wheel corrosion and is common on toyota/lexus machined aluminum wheels. My wheel/tire warranty will cover that. I have also had tires replaced with that warranty because they got a nail in it. I used PDR service twice as well... I think i got the moneys worth. As for the extended warranty, I am getting a bunch of little things fixed that are not major but its nice to be able to go to any toyota dealership and say “hey, fix it...” and they do it for free.

While car payments suck, maybe you should consider a higher price point and get a cpo ride from a dealership or a used car private party that is less than 3yrs old/36k miles (still in active factory warranty) and buy your own extended warranty from toyota.

Personally I am waiting for the sienna hybrid before i sell my sienna.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for listing all these things together, and this list should be a sticky, if it isn't already.
I don't know how to make that a sticky or I would and then just link to it...

About the timing belt/water pump change, how long does it take to do at home?
I have not personally performed that Job - my need for the vehicle and my time constraints prevented me from DIMyS. I had researched what was involved and determined it was too time consuming for me - I expected I would be on the car for 3 days - although I know the dealership can do it in about 8 hours, I don't have that wonderful lift, no air tools and also never attempted it on this vehicle before so I would be behind the 8 ball. I did the other work because the cost was more than I could justify at the time - the other work was about 6 hours - I have done the plugs before - so I knew the drill.

Here is a video of how it is done. https://Sienna Water Pump - Timing Belt youtube.com/watch?v=860E4CR_RzU

1 - 18 of 18 Posts