Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there ! New at this . Just got an '06 LE , 25000 on it . Trying to make up my mind what trailer hitch to go with . I read and saw the pic's of the Curt 13256 class 3 , what about the Curt 12212 class 2 ? Anyone know anything about it ? Here's where I have the biggest problem . If a class 2 is rated 3500 LB , and the van is rated 3500 LB , then why have the big class 3 hanging back there ? Am I missing something ? Even with a WD hitch the van is still rated at 3500 LB with trailer brakes , 1500 without . Lots of good stuff on this site . Thanks to all .

·
Registered
19 Posts
I see the biggest difference is the Tongue weight. Also if you are going to pull a camping trailer you may want a WDH (Weight Distribution Hitch) For that you need class III.

Since I only tow a Motorcycle trailer I purchased the Toyota Dual Port hitch for my 2005 and installed it myself. It was pretty simple.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that the Toyota class2 that you have / How do you like it ? Thanks for the comeback ! I have an F-350 crew cab Dully with the 7.3 L engine for heavy loads , my Sienna is for my 14' boat that is probably under a thousand LB's . Tongue wight on class 2 is 300 LB , 3500 LB pull , Sienna rated 350/ WD 525 -3500 pull . How far down from bumper is the bottom of your hitch , if you don't mind . I read one person said they had one and where going to get class 3 Curt because the Toyota hitch had the same ground clearance . I find that hard to believe , but , maybe their right .

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
I believe that the reason for a 2" receiver is to have more choice of accessories, including weight-distribution hitch systems. Since the Sienna's trailer weight limit is 3500 lb (the Class 2 limit), there is no "legal" Class 3 towing with Sienna, so I don't see how a Class 3 load rating has any benefit with this vehicle.

The 300 lb tongue weight limit for some Class 2 receivers is not a limitation of Class 2, only of that particular model from Curt (and perhaps other specific model). I have read the SAE J684 and VESA-5 standards which define the towing classes, and neither specifies a tongue weight limit. The original-equipment Dual Port System (DPS) receiver is good for the full 350 lb weight-carrying hitch weight limit of the Sienna.

I, too, find it hard to believe that any 2" receiver has the same ground clearance as my original-equipment DPS 1.25" receiver,
because mine fits right up against the bumper and the box extends down 3/4" less. The DPS "ports" (the angled flat plates which stick out for attaching accessories) don't really hang down.

·
Registered
19 Posts
On my old car I had a class II so I just stuck with that. The hitch sits up nice and close to the bumper. I got it for two reasons. I already had hitches for it....and if you get the Toyota wire harness it screws on the hitch and looks good. I did the full install myself. Took me about an hour or so.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I see the biggest difference is the Tongue weight. Also if you are going to pull a camping trailer you may want a WDH (Weight Distribution Hitch) For that you need class III.

Since I only tow a Motorcycle trailer I purchased the Toyota Dual Port hitch for my 2005 and installed it myself. It was pretty simple.
I installed a class III
I believe that the reason for a 2" receiver is to have more choice of accessories, including weight-distribution hitch systems. Since the Sienna's trailer weight limit is 3500 lb (the Class 2 limit), there is no "legal" Class 3 towing with Sienna, so I don't see how a Class 3 load rating has any benefit with this vehicle.

The 300 lb tongue weight limit for some Class 2 receivers is not a limitation of Class 2, only of that particular model from Curt (and perhaps other specific model). I have read the SAE J684 and VESA-5 standards which define the towing classes, and neither specifies a tongue weight limit. The original-equipment Dual Port System (DPS) receiver is good for the full 350 lb weight-carrying hitch weight limit of the Sienna.

I, too, find it hard to believe that any 2" receiver has the same ground clearance as my original-equipment DPS 1.25" receiver,
because mine fits right up against the bumper and the box extends down 3/4" less. The DPS "ports" (the angled flat plates which stick out for attaching accessories) don't really hang down.
I installed a Draw Tight class III on my 2006 Sienna Limited. It looks like it only has about 4 inches of ground clearance but I measured 8. The problem is how far it sticks out behind the van. Ground clearance is important but if it sticks out too far you will drag on every curb and driveway entrance any way. I worry too about the ground clearance after a 350 lb. tongue weight is applied. How low will it set the van and what will the hitch ground clearance be then? Will I have to purchase adjustable air shocks just to be able to pull a trailer? I have bought a 6 inch drop ball receiver that I install upside down to get the tongue of the trailer closer to parallel with the ground.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts