Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Just wanted to say outstanding post bullfrog! My van has 83K and I'm planning on doing this service now that I got the door cable replaced. Your detailed photos make it easy!

Factory spec shows 30 lb-ft for the drain plug, and 36 lb-ft for the fill plug. :)

I sold my Scangauge last year with my Excursion, so I don't have a good way of measuring transmission temperature. So I plan on accurately measuring what I take out and putting that much back in the transmission. I see why you did Step 7, but I would NOT do that again. Running the pump without fluid in the pan could cause permanent damage. You probably didn't hurt anything by quickly doing it once, but I would highly recommend against doing so in the future.

Once again, THANKS!!!
What is your source for factory torque specs? I haven't been able to find a service manual anywhere. Just wondering where to find them for future reference.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just did a drain and fill on my sienna 2005 with 112k miles on it....the old transmission is the original, never changed or anything..... Old tranny oil looked pretty good for 112k miles on it... was kind of dark and pink at same time... I did a refill with 4 quarts and fluid level looks okay but might need to add little more...Although owner's manual states, drain and refill to be 3.7 quarts.... in about another 1-2k miles....I plan to do a full flush through the tranny cooler lines...
I don't want to do the transmission filter or magnet clean up as the old fluid didn't look that bad to justify it.... besides I don't want to take chance of stripping any threads and possiblity of leak.... Keep it simple philosophy.... don't want things to turn into major projects...
I had previously turned a simple motorcycle oil change into a oil pan drain stripped into major project requiring replacement of oil pan...which required exhaust headers, gas tank, radiator/hose and others just to get oil pan out....instead of riding, I was wrenching...

BTW.... Autzone is having Valvoline max lift ATF...its full synthetic transmission oil for $10.99 sale....reg price is $15.99
its gallon jug but has 4 quarts inside total...
and join autozone rewards program....earn $20 for every 5 purchase of $20 or more total.... I just bought 4 total in 2 separate transaction of 2 each....

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Valvoline-1-gal-high-mileage-Dex-Merc-automatic-transmission-fluid/_/N-25aaZ1z13x94?itemIdentifier=819367_0_0_

amazon reviews.... http://www.amazon.com/MaxLife-773775-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid/product-reviews/B007VWRUQC/ref=cm_cr_pr_top_recent?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

·
Registered
61 Posts
What is your source for factory torque specs? I haven't been able to find a service manual anywhere. Just wondering where to find them for future reference.
I subscribe to www.alldatadiy.com. It's the factory service information at a really great price. I think it's around $20/year if I remember right. It's not written for the DIYer though, there are lots of references to factory special tools as well as the Toyota Techstream system. Sometimes it's confusing...if I were to print out the section on adjusting the transmission fluid level it would take 15 pages!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I subscribe to www.alldatadiy.com. It's the factory service information at a really great price. I think it's around $20/year if I remember right. It's not written for the DIYer though, there are lots of references to factory special tools as well as the Toyota Techstream system. Sometimes it's confusing...if I were to print out the section on adjusting the transmission fluid level it would take 15 pages!
Could you add the pan bolt torque specs just for everyone's reference if they decide to go that route. I think it's 48 inch-lbs (at least that's what I saw in a Camry thread), but it'd be good to have the actual number.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Could you add the pan bolt torque specs just for everyone's reference if they decide to go that route. I think it's 48 inch-lbs (at least that's what I saw in a Camry thread), but it'd be good to have the actual number.
There are two specs, I'm assuming the non-precoated bolt spec applies if you reuse the fasteners.

2011 Sienna shop manual said:
Precoated Bolt (*1) - Torque 7.0 Nm (71 kgf-cm, 62 in-lbf)
Except Precoated bolt - Torque 7.5 Nm (76 kgf-cm, 66 in-lbf)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
There are two specs, I'm assuming the non-precoated bolt spec applies if you reuse the fasteners.
Coating could also refer to the fact that I think that Toyota traditionally puts Blue LocTite on the transmission pan bolts. Either way, you're probably better off starting with 62 and increasing if there's a leak. That a pretty immaterial difference between the 2 torque specs. Probably approximates the margin of error on most consumer-grade torque wrenches.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just a quick reference on the diminishing returns that you'll get with each drain and fill (assumes 2.5 qts drained each time with 7.1 quarts and 6.9 quarts for AWD and FWD, respectively):
Capture.JPG

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just a quick reference on the diminishing returns that you'll get with each drain and fill (assumes 2.5 qts drained each time with 7.1 quarts and 6.9 quarts for AWD and FWD, respectively):
View attachment 4352
THANKS for posting this. I've never been taught how to do this, but after playing with Excel I was able to recreate the same thing. I learned something today. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
ooo goodie, my sienna is at 36k miles and your 38k mile fluid still looks pretty clean. I guess ill change it when im at 50k

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you don't have new crush gasket handy you can just reuse the old ones as I did on both my 2006 4RN last year and 2011 sienna awd recently.I don't have any leak so far.
Here is why I did that.I went to Toyota dealer asking for some overfill and drain plug gaskets/washers.The parts selling guy told me that I don't have to buy new just reuse it as they do in their service/repair department.Surprise!but it is true.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
To the folks who have done this...... How did you push the tranny fluid in the pan?
Sorry, I admit that I'm a lay-mechanic, but I have no clue what you mean by "push the tranny fluid in the pan."

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I mean how do you refill the tranny fluid. Holding the tranny fluid bottle up (gravity) or a pump will push the fluid in but how did you get it through the fill tube?
Hose/funnel (i.e. gravity). That being said, a pump would work fine. I prefer to use gravity when I can because pumps tend to waste a lot of fluid (can't get quite all of it out of the bottle, more to clean up etc.).

·
Registered
279 Posts
I havent done this yet but this DIY is just partial drain and refill so isnt it diluting with old & new fluid?
Yes, the theory being do it regularity amd it keeps things better. I opted for the flush and fill letting it pump old stuff out while adding new stuff.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Could you have removed the transmission? Would one of the bolts prevented you from removing pan because it was blocked by the frame?

21 - 40 of 61 Posts