Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

61 - 61 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
I am approaching 300,000 miles on my 2001 Lexus IS300 and I do a full trans flush every 100,000. Never any drain and fills. The next flush in 8,000 miles. The transmission shifts like new with no slipping. Come back and talk to us when you get to 300,000+ miles on the original fluid in the original transmission.

the problem here is the people you are getting advice from work for the most reliable car maker In earth. The service dept doesnt make money if your van doesnt break down. Let me ask you this. Where in the universe can you find the concept that failing to maintain a mechanical device is the best practice?
I believe the key to getting your transmission to 300, 400, 500,000 miles without breaking down comes down to 3 factors: 1) keep it cool 2) refresh the fluid in total 3) keep the fluid clean between change intervals.

do that and you will not have any problems. #3 I am a big proponent of the Magnefine filter. Keep the wear debris from recirculating and destroying the internal parts.

#1 ATF breaks down very quickly above 180*F. If you are cooking the ATF the “Lifetime” of that fluid is greatly reduced. Running it above 200*F reduces the “Lifetime” to 30,000 miles. Degrade the ATF with heat, contaminate it with clutch material and plan on replacing the trans sooner than later.

take care of your tools and your tools will take care of you.

61 - 61 of 61 Posts