Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
I have a toyota sienna 2014 with 200k.the transmission fluid was never replaced and my question is should I replace it along with the filter or leave it alone. I know the risk by changing the fluid and what is the right way to do it without having any problems

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Welcome to the site. You are going to get mixed reviews on this.

As far as me. I would drain it into a measuring container and replace the same amount of fluid. Drive it for 500 miles and change it again. That's just me.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Welcome! At 200k, I would replace the filter and fluid in the pan. The process for partial fluid change is readily available on YouTube.

If the fluid doesn't look and smell terrible, I'd then start replacing 3qts of fluid at every oil change. If the fluid looks to be in really bad condition, I'd change it twice per oil change interval.

Please let us know what you find when you get in there 🙂

·
Registered
28 Posts
If replacing and you do not use the recommended way to use the OBD to set the correct level when the fluid is in the temperature range, would suggest doing the change with a cold engine so the ATF fluid that goes in is the same as temp as the fluid that came out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If replacing and you do not use the recommended way to use the OBD to set the correct level when the fluid is in the temperature range, would suggest doing the change with a cold engine so the ATF fluid that goes in is the same as temp as the fluid that came out.
I did not know about the emperature range. Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
803 Posts
Check out this DIY for some good info....tranny fluid diy
If you have never done a flush or a drain/refill, use the temp method as the fluid measurement methoumes that the previous fill level was correct which may or may not be correct.

Tip:
You do not need to remove the driver side wheel. On a level surface like a garage floor, turn the wheel all the way to the left. That gives you enough clearance to access the fill plug.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts