Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost the transmission out of my 2006 Sienna after a it blew a hole in the case. I put a used transmission with new fluid and filter in and seven months later the fluid is brown so I had new fluid and filter added. The old filter was full of crap. The next day the fluid is a little brown. Should I just drive it and hope it lasts a while?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Interesting. Looks like there was a lot of crud in that transmission. How is it shifting?
If I were you I would a drain and fill till it looks reddish . Are you using Toyotas T-IV fluid?

·
Registered
169 Posts
when i replaced my transmission, put a brand new oem atf filter and oem new gasket, then added 4 bottles of new transmission via dip stick, and have the return cooler hose disconnected at the radiator, start the engine and pumped out the old fluid to a bucket while continue adding, what came out was black and bubbly, i flushed in/out about 15 bottles all together, but the result was amazing, shift silk smooth, and transmission fluid color was cherry red for a year until i flushed out again.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I lost the transmission out of my 2006 Sienna after a it blew a hole in the case. I put a used transmission with new fluid and filter in and seven months later the fluid is brown so I had new fluid and filter added. The old filter was full of crap. The next day the fluid is a little brown. Should I just drive it and hope it lasts a while?
How many miles were on the used transmission and who did the work? Unless you are still within the junkyard warranty, at this point, change the fluid and hope it lasts is about all you CAN do. If it's a little brown, I would be inclined to do a drain and fill now and then another one at your next oil change. I would probably check it every 1000 miles to see if it's changing rapidly or just still flushing out the old junk. If it's changing rapidly, it's probably on borrowed time, unfortunately.

·
Registered
447 Posts
The old filter was full of crap. The next day the fluid is a little brown. Should I just drive it and hope it lasts a while?
Yes. My van hadn't had the fluid changed in 150K miles. Changed the filter and fluid, did a drain a fill a few thousand miles later, and in the 10K miles since the fluid is starting to darken a bit. Do another drain & fill now and again in a thousand miles or so. It takes a few drain & fills to get all that old fluid out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So hopefully drain and fill at shorter intervals than normal. I assume I don't have to change the filter every time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
After changing mine for the first time @150K miles, I don't see why a filter couldn't go 100K miles easily.
I'd really like more data on filters, some say add a filter, drop the pan, and the like. My 08 sienna has about 97k miles right now and each time I've drain and filled the transmission, the magnetic drain plug barely had any shavings. Can't help but think dropping the pan would be minimally helpful.

My 15 Prius has about 60k and bought the WS for it a few days ago. Very curious how the drain plugs magnet will look. The weather has been about 100f and avoiding this job in the heat.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Changing the filter is easy to do with hand tools. A major name brand filter and o-ring are <$20.

IMHO it makes sense to change the filter just to get rid of the inevitable buildup of non-magnetic clutch friction material shed over 100K miles, especially if the fluid wasn't drained/filled at regular intervals. Sticky, gunked-up solenoids are the most common problem on the U-150/U151 and they aren't cheap to replace.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I put a used transmission with new fluid and filter in and seven months later the fluid is brown so I had new fluid and filter added. The old filter was full of crap. The next day the fluid is a little brown
When I completely replaced the oil in my 99 transmission it took over 11 quarts. So your leaving a lot old oil in it if your only replacing 3 or 4 quarts.

·
Registered
201 Posts
That is why you do it several times. Each time there is less old fluid in there. If you do this from brand new, that 3 or 4 quarts every 20,000 miles, and it never gets cruddy. My 2002 Sienna at 222,000 miles, shifted and ran like new. It was almost all highway driving, and the fluid always looked like new fluid.

·
Registered
87 Posts
That is why you do it several times. Each time there is less old fluid in there. If you do this from brand new, that 3 or 4 quarts every 20,000 miles, and it never gets cruddy. My 2002 Sienna at 222,000 miles, shifted and ran like new. It was almost all highway driving, and the fluid always looked like new fluid.
This is what I have done with my 2005 Sienna. Drain and fill every 30,000 miles. Also change filter and clean magnets every 90,000 miles. Vehicle is now at 190,000 miles. So far, so good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts