Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
100 Posts
if you can find it, I have been using Mobile ATF 3309 (which meets the T-IV spec) for the last 15 years. Works perfectly and is usually less expensive than Toyota. I would not hesitate to use Aisin as DC_Dave recommends above. Aisin made the transmission in the Sienna.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if you can find it, I have been using Mobile ATF 3309 (which meets the T-IV spec) for the last 15 years. Works perfectly and is usually less expensive than Toyota. I would not hesitate to use Aisin as DC_Dave recommends above. Aisin made the transmission in the Sienna.
What are your thoughts about the Idemetsu TLS, (type iv) ? Or even the CASTROL trans max import stuff

· Registered
100 Posts
What are your thoughts about the Idemetsu TLS, (type iv) ? Or even the CASTROL trans max import stuff
I have no experience with either, so I don't have an opinion on them.

As a starting point I research what fluid specs they say they meet. If a fluid meets MANY specs that I believe to not be compatible (i.e. it is marketed as a universal or near universal fluid), I will not use it. For example, if a fluid says it can be used in place of both T-IV and WS, I don't believe it and don't use it.

If in doubt, I would suggest using the Toyota fluid. Nobody likes to feel like they are overpaying for ATF, but in the grand scheme of things, even full-price Toyota ATF is inexpensive to the transmission that it runs and protects.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In regards to the opening statement, reviews aren’t mixed for Toyota type IV fluid. Save money somewhere else.

Sixto
‘04 LE FWD 207K miles
Yeah, I just ordered 12 qts of Toyota type iv. A couple of months ago, I put WS in it, and I was desperate and the only thing I had was valvoline maxlife multi vehicle. So now I just want to put the right fluid in and be done with it

· Registered
2006 LE
2,254 Posts
No guess work involved. Just do it ,T-IV for me. Its not an every day purchase!

· Registered
2006 Sienna XLE with NAV 232k miles
493 Posts
I used Toyota T-IV transmission fluid in the beginning, then switched to Castrol Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid (synthetic) later. No issue so far with 231k miles on my 06 XLE FWD.

· Registered
28 Posts
I used Toyota T-IV transmission fluid in the beginning, then switched to Castrol Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid (synthetic) later. No issue so far with 231k miles on my 06 XLE FWD.
I'll throw in my experience for what it is worth: I have been towing a small pop up (2100lbs) for about the last 75,000 miles with my 2006 LE FWD, now with 195,000 on it. I have drained and refilled the Trans regularly. Once I started towing I noticed that my trans fluid was quickly turning brown. I assumed it was gettiing too hot with the towing. I started using Royal Purple due to it getting good reviews regarding tolerating higher temps. Since I made the swich, about 50,000 miles ago, I never get the fluid turning that brown color. Now, full disclosure I did add a trans cooler as well, but I did use the Royal Purple for several seasons priot to putting on the cooler. Trans still doing well, smooth shifts, no issues with towing.

· Registered
2009 Sienna LE
7 Posts
Yes. And by some miracle managed to get it back together, but I will never, ever do it again. Stripped threads in aluminum valve bodies, check balls falling all around my dirty garage floor.....a nightmare experience. It fixed the problem, however.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts