Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m planning to exchange transmission oil and I need to assess how much oil I need to do a static exchange
To be honest it’s not going to be myself but it will be done by a mechanic and I need to know if he’s telling me the truth?
So can anyone give me a hint?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
by "static exchange" do you mean drain and fill the pan only? If so it'll take between 2 and 3 quarts to refill.

note that you only change less than 1/3 of the total fluid in the transmission this way

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,560 Posts
There is a very exacting method for refilling the UA80 transmission to ensure that it's right. Draining and refilling with the exact amount that drains out (whatever that might be....) is an OK method - it restores it as it was. But was it optimized to begin with?

There is a drain and leveling plug / dip tube in the pan and a fill port up on the casing. As Toyota WS ATF has a coefficient of thermal expansion (TCE), the procedure has you monitor the fluid temperature and top off while keeping the drain open to remove the overflow. On level ground.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've heard they hold 7 quarts, maybe 8.
The older ones like mine are in the 10 to 12 .
I would have to see what my manual says.
My 2015 took 10.5 quarts when removing the old fluid at the return line and adding new fluid through the transmission fill. It takes a few steps but this gets all of the old fluid out.

Reactions: pjksr02

·
Registered
122 Posts
There is a very exacting method for refilling the UA80 transmission to ensure that it's right. Draining and refilling with the exact amount that drains out (whatever that might be....) is an OK method - it restores it as it was. But was it optimized to begin with?

There is a drain and leveling plug / dip tube in the pan and a fill port up on the casing. As Toyota WS ATF has a coefficient of thermal expansion (TCE), the procedure has you monitor the fluid temperature and top off while keeping the drain open to remove the overflow. On level ground.
Correct. ATF level should be checked with the engine running, transmission in Drive, fluid temp between 104-113 F, plug removed but not the straw.

Reactions: TheTruthHurts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for hints - ATF exchange done, gearbox working a bit smoother, no delays during gear's changes observed. The only difference I see is a bit higher fuel consumption then before. Could it be caused by reset of gearbox and the adaptation phase (exchange done 6 days ago). Any clue how long the grearbox will be adopting to the driving style ?
I exchanged spark plugs at the same time , so could it be the reason for fuel consumption increase ? IMHO it shouldn't have any influence, it may even help to reduce it ( exactly same type of DENSO spark plugs used). Is there anything to be set/configured with spark plugs exchange ?
Any idea what could cause fuel consumption increase?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A week after transmission fluid exchange and one longer drive with higher speed like 80mph, fluid started leaking most probably through the pan gasket, new gasket was used
My mechanic says it could be faulty gasket, I hesitate between low quality gasket or mean job done by screwing the oil pan bolts.
What do you think?
I plan to visit them tomorrow but before that any suggestions what to check will be highly appreciated :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
A week after transmission fluid exchange and one longer drive with higher speed like 80mph, fluid started leaking most probably through the pan gasket, new gasket was used
My mechanic says it could be faulty gasket, I hesitate between low quality gasket or mean job done by screwing the oil pan bolts.
What do you think?
I plan to visit them tomorrow but before that any suggestions what to check will be highly appreciated :)

I did not know you had to change the gasket with a tranny oil exchange.

·
Registered
'11 Limited FWD
263 Posts
Regular fluid exchange is just removing the standpipe. If you do the "fluid exchange plus" method you drop the pan to get the old fluid that is in it, plus clean the sediment out of the pan.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did not know you had to change the gasket with a tranny oil exchange.
As they changed the oil filter they had to unscrew the pan, hence the new gasket used
Normally you buy the oil filter with the pan gasket as one set.
I wonder why ATF is leaking, any ideas what went wrong
Gonna nail the mechanic to the wall tomorrow ;)

·
Registered
'11 Limited FWD
263 Posts
When I asked at my dealership's parts counter about a transmission filter, I was told, "It's not really a filter, more of a strainer, and doesn't need to be changed." They didn't even want me to do a full flush. The shop that did the work ended up pretty much doing a full flush, though, so I may as well have dropped the pan to clean it, but I didn't.

As far as I can tell, the "don't flush" thing is all about keeping debris in the system in case it's helpful for clutch plates that are nearly worn out. Not exactly my way of doing things, but it's a very popular viewpoint.

·
Registered
122 Posts
What do you think?

How did they measure the level of the transmission fluid? That sounds like it is overfilled and leaked out of a seal. A pan gasket would leak even when sitting since the fluid level is above the gasket with the engine off.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Regular fluid exchange is just removing the standpipe. If you do the "fluid exchange plus" method you drop the pan to get the old fluid that is in it, plus clean the sediment out of the pan.
removing the straw should drain all of the oil from the pan

1 - 20 of 26 Posts