Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Removing the straw does not drain all the oil from the pan. There is still a lot left in the pan..

View attachment 53134
probably a pint or so out of 10.5 quarts, not significant enough for me to bother pulling the pan. The filter is only there to catch "big chunks" so that stays in place as well.

·
Registered
'11 Limited FWD
260 Posts
Changing 10.5 quarts is a flush, and beyond the scope of what was being compared. To me it's more like... I don't know, three quarts for an exchange vs. four for a dropped pan exchange. To me, the benefit of dropping the pan would be washing out the fines, not changing the filter. But some people feel strongly that the fines should stay in the system. Not my viewpoint.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just dropped my pan and replaced the fluid filter. It is not a strainer, it is a gauze filter. I’ve had Toyotas before with a metal strainer and those only filter out big chunks. The filter in this transmission is more in line with what you would see in domestic transmissions.

Including the filter, my service drained out 3 quarts. There’s no way you were getting 3 quarts out without dropping the pan and the filter.

my van had 60,000 miles on it and the fluid was definitely due for a change.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I change 3 quarts at a time via the return line to the transmission, until the fluid coming out of the return line is the same color as new fluid.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts