Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2015 with 85k miles. The automatic transmission is slipping going from 3rd to 4th gear. No codes have ever popped up. Dealer said area around fluid is dry, so likely not a leak. Said I need to replace the transmission for $7k :cry:. Steep for a car w 85k miles!

1) the master tech said since fluid dry he didn’t want to waste my money w a drain and fill. I don’t think the transposition fluid has ever been changed
2) is it best to go to an independent shop and see if they can take apart and fix?

Any advice would be welcomed, did not expect this from my Toyota! Thanks

· Registered
862 Posts
Well... Sorry to hear that but since it's already slipping why not try a drain and fill. You probably won't hurt it any more especially if you already need a new transmission. Diy , plenty of videos on YouTube on how to do it. It's pretty easy and $11/quart , you will only need 2.

On that note, how about trying to find a low mileage used transmission, I'm sure it's only in the low thousand dollar , not $7000. That's the route I would go if I were you.

Best of luck

· Registered
2016 Toyota Sienna LE FWD
304 Posts
Well... Sorry to hear that but since it's already slipping why not try a drain and fill. You probably won't hurt it any more especially if you already need a new transmission. Diy , plenty of videos on YouTube on how to do it. It's pretty easy and $11/quart , you will only need 2.

On that note, how about trying to find a low mileage used transmission, I'm sure it's only in the low thousand dollar , not $7000. That's the route I would go if I were you.

Best of luck
Usually you'll need 3 quarts, what came out on my sienna was around 2.5 quarts and that is how much I refilled it with using a scan tool to check level as well.

· Registered
424 Posts
Check the fluid level before adding fluid. Level the vehicle, warm the transmission to 104-113F (use obdII scanner or IR thermometer) and remove the drain plug while vehicle is running. Trickle of fluid should come from the hole (if not, fluid is probably low). If not, stop engine, remove dip tube from drain hole, and fluid should drain from the hole. If not, you have empty fluid.

Based on what you describe, it could be a dirty filter or shift solenoid. As they say at AAMCO, "only half the vehicles that come to AAMCO need a new transmission."

· Registered
Old Sienna
863 Posts
1) the master tech said since fluid dry he didn’t want to waste my money w a drain and fill.
1) the master tech thought, why risk losing a $7,000 repair by "wasting" a $70 repair? Be side's, the tech can do the $70 repair then charge for the $7000 repair. His wisdom is worth something!:censored:
That said, I might be full of it, transmissions do fail.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts