Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sienna (09 LE, Canadian) has the overhead console, with the small trip computer. As many of us know, this can be set to read in either Metric or English? units.

Question: I set the computer to read in English units, and I want to know whether the miles per gallon (mpg) reading is for American gallons, or for Imperial gallons. An American gallon is 3.79 litres, while an Imperial gallon is 4.54 litres.

If anyone knows, please post. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK!

Gave up waiting for an answer, so got out the old HP 12C calculator, and did the math. Since the last reset, the trip computer in my 09LE says that I've averaged 27.7 miles per gallon. It also states that I've averaged 8.4 litres per 100 KM. As you all know, the US gallon is smaller than the Imperial gallon used in Canada. A US gallon is approx 3.79 litres, while an Imperial gallon is 4.55 litres.

Doing the math, I find that the Sienna actually averaged 33.08 mpg. That was for approx equal freeway and city traffic driving.

If you live in Canada, and use the trip computer, remember to multiply the indicated mpg by 1.2 to get the MPG in Imperial units.

And hey! for a fairly heavy and reasonably powerful vehicle, 33 mpg is pretty good, eh?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts