Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one is for the 2GR engine found in the 2007 -2010 Sienna. I assume this is not the start up ticking sound that goes away after the engine is warm, but a ticking sound that never goes away. See attached TSB PDF file for details.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Wow! After reading that TSB it sounds like they are tearing down the entire top end of the engine to get the variable valve timing mechanisms.  It seems there might be a problem with a few bolts that hold them together.  Hope I never have to deal with it, but then again it is nice to know Toyota is upfront about it.

BTW, here is a video of the 3.5L engine in an exploded view that I thought was neat from the Toyota website.  It shows the variable valve timing devices.  I know it is from the Venza but it is basically the same engine.  Just click on the "V6 Engine" icon..:

http://www.toyota.com/venza/demos.html

·
Registered
25 Posts
tbalon said:
Wow! After reading that TSB it sounds like they are tearing down the entire top end of the engine to get the variable valve timing mechanisms. It seems there might be a problem with a few bolts that hold them together. Hope I never have to deal with it, but then again it is nice to know Toyota is upfront about it.

BTW, here is a video of the 3.5L engine in an exploded view that I thought was neat from the Toyota website. It shows the variable valve timing devices. I know it is from the Venza but it is basically the same engine. Just click on the "V6 Engine" icon..:

http://www.toyota.com/venza/demos.html
Yeah, it's a pretty intensive job. The spring inside the VVTi controller is letting go, and the ticking that you hear is the cap hitting up against the timing chain cover. I've done one, but luckily only had to replace the exhaust vvti gears and camshafts. A few guys in my shop have had to do both intake and exhaust gears, and that requires dropping the engine and trans down with the subframe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wonder if Toyota upgraded the part or if its a replacement of the same part.

My van was built in March. With my luck was one of the last ones built prior to an upgraded part, if there was one!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Anybody knows how to determine if your vehicle is affected? Mine is 2009 LE that was manufactured at July, 2008.

Since TSB is not a mandatory factory recall, I would guess not all Sienna have this issue. Maybe only a handful?

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
TSBs are NOT official government mandated "recalls".

Generally, they are "courtesy fixes" for issues and problems that have been identified under certain situations on certain groups of cars.
It is possible that your vehicle is within the affected list of candidates (usually identified by VIN and/or production date or model), BUT you generally have to ALSO exhibit the specified problem characteristics. NOT ALL vehicles listed may be affected. It is also possible that you are not within the identified vehicle range and are affected, but you would have to further prove your case. Some TSBs will also effectively modify and/or extend portions of your warranty coverage.

You really need to read all of the details described within any given TSB to see whether or not you think you might qualify. The next step is to convince an authorized Toyota dealership/repair facility that you have the problem and qualify within the terms. Be warned....not all dealerships are as educated or aware about certain TSBs as we would hope that they would be. Sometimes it does require gentle prodding or multiple and persistent visits....or a different dealership.

We sometimes post and share certain TSBs as we find them and as a convenience to our valuable general membership and guests. Additional TSBs are also located within the [Supporter's] area of the forum that is available only to donating members. A link is located at the bottom of most pages.

topspy/Mod-Squad

·
Premium Member
498 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Nice find on the vid! ;)
Normal. Works as designed. LOL. ;D ;D ;D

Man....I have all kinds of ticks, pops, and "noises"/stuff happening then. This sure ain't my QUIET '85 Honda Prelude motor (except when the valves needed to be adjusted every 15K miles...or was that 30K???). And it ain't my relatively quiet '96 Nissan Maxima motor either (except when it got 100K++ miles). ??? :eek: :mad:

YMMV.
Good Luck!! 8)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2008 Sienns and would like to determine if my car is a being effected by T-SB-0094-09 Rev1 from March 19, 2009. (is Rev1 the most current)

It has a mild ticking noise that sounds like my really old 1974 Toyota Corona made when it needed a valve adjustment. My VIN falls into the range of effected VINs for this 2GR-GE engine ticking noise. But there have been no engine warning lights that I'm aware of. This was a Southern California rental car sold at auction to a local broker. We recently purchased from the broker. My wife noticed the "Tick" so I research online and discovered this TSB which applies to a boat load of Toyota models.

On page 1 in the introduction of this TSB it states. "It is mandatory that the VVT-i gear actuator bolts, actuator center section alignment, and actuator body be inspected BEFORE performing this TSB.”

My question is what would be the take to do this inspection listed above? Also if this is very involved and well on the way to making the actual repairs, what would be the next best test to knowing is this engine likely has the problem?

The odometer just rolled 50,000 miles so I have nearly 10,000 miles left to get this worked.

Thanks for any help
PSC

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
The way I understand TSB's is that you take your van to the stealership, tell them about the "ticking" and they should help you out. I imagine they will tell you that there may be a small charge if they don't feel it warrants repair. The fact that your van is listed in affected vin's probably means they are expecting you ;). If I'm wrong someone will correct me ;D I wouldn't mention that you know about the TSB right off... Sometimes the dealership gets a kick out of letting you think they are doing you a favour 8)

good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
To me it still seems they have to tear into it to meet their own criteria to even discover if it indeed has the problem.

Am I wrong about this? Is it a major effort for the dealership to comply with the TSB requirements about finding out if it's really this problem or not? Please advise.

Also others have suggested actually taking in the TSB to show them to help speed things along and reduce the diagnostics time. I'm not sure about the best strategy but it seems to me best to provide any and all information that I have.

One other bit of information, once my sienna is up to normal temperature the tick is much less noticeable. If I had found any dealship within a reasonable distance that had a majority of positive feedback then I wouldn't hesitate to take it in without asking so many questions on this forum. I have six or seven dealerships within 40 minutes of my house and all I can find is lots of complaints about every one of their service departments.

Actually what I wish is that I could hear other Siennas with this same engine running when cold then up to temp so I could compare. I heard a 2006 with the 3.3L belt not chain which was really smooth and quite but I can't compare that.

Thanks
PSC

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
PSC said:
To me it still seems they have to tear into it to meet their own criteria to even discover if it indeed has the problem.

Am I wrong about this? Is it a major effort for the dealership to comply with the TSB requirements about finding out if it's really this problem or not? Please advise.

Also others have suggested actually taking in the TSB to show them to help speed things along and reduce the diagnostics time. I'm not sure about the best strategy but it seems to me best to provide any and all information that I have.

One other bit of information, once my sienna is up to normal temperature the tick is much less noticeable. If I had found any dealship within a reasonable distance that had a majority of positive feedback then I wouldn't hesitate to take it in without asking so many questions on this forum. I have six or seven dealerships within 40 minutes of my house and all I can find is lots of complaints about every one of their service departments.

Actually what I wish is that I could hear other Siennas with this same engine running when cold then up to temp so I could compare. I heard a 2006 with the 3.3L belt not chain which was really smooth and quite but I can't compare that.

Thanks
PSC
The reason I say not to mention the TSB is that they may think you are fishing for problems. Regardless, you need to have it (the ticking) investigated or at least have been to a dealership regarding the tick (make sure you have a work order showing it was investigated). This would/could cover your butt a little further down the road when you are actually out of warranty. I think you need to get a dealership's opinion on the matter and go from there. That is not to say that I think you should hand them hundreds of dollars for investigative work but I would think that $100 would be money well spent to make sure that this is not an issue with your van. The $100 would have to be refundable if they did find the problem and it did need to be fixed (at least it would be if it was me they were doing the work for). Again, if your vehicle was within the vin numbers listed I would have to think that the dealership would have a little more investigative leeway (i.e. toyota would allow for whatever time is needed to conclude whether it actually needed repairs). Just my opinion... :)

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I've been trying to diagnose my knock/ping/click/tick for some time. Mine is after cold startups and during acceleration at 1500 - 2000 rpm. After the engine completely warms up to normal operating temperature, the sound goes away.

Is this VVT ticking temperature dependent??

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
The ticking noise in the TSB is caused by a failure in the VVT and should be present at all times the engine is running regardless of engine temp. Most people who have experienced noises in the engine-ticking/knocking/clattering-say they do go away once the engine has warmed up, this is usually considered normal operation for many Toyota engines.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Thanks tbalon ....Mine definitely subsides after the engine has completely warmed up.

The latest explanation for my "clicking/ticking" was one or more noisy fuel injectors. Toyota says they're all noisy in this engine, but some are noisier than others. But they don't replace them just because they're noisy.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
I have the same symptoms on my 07 and have had it since I bought it w/ 35K mi on it . I now have 82K and the noise is still the same. I have noticed that when I switched from a 5w-30 oil to a 15w-50 that the noise was much less noticeable.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Yes, an oil analysis will give you a good indication of your engines overall health and would point out any abnormalities based on average wear patterns for engines in your range. Based on what others have posted, there does not appear to be any unusual wear metals caused by the piston slap issue. Please post your results if you are planning on having an analysis done.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I was actually referring to wear metals from the VVT-I, but likewise piston slap. I recently had my oil tested at 20K miles. The report is attached.

Aside from the twice than normal moly, everything looks good. I'm hoping the moly is an additive and not from piston ring coating or the like.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts