Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

101 - 106 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same here. My 9 year old Sienna 2006 start having this problem.
Don't know what to do yet. Toyota should get rid of dealership anyway.

Dealer was no help - just told me I was on my own and to take it to a body shop. I contacted Toyota, but they told me that I am outside the original warranty (of course 3/36k) as well as the Customer Support Program warranty enhancement (5 years/100k miles). Our van is only at 81k miles, but nearing 9 years old. Not happy about this, since it seems like a defective design from the start.

Anyone have an idea how much this will cost me at a body shop? We're also considering getting a new car (probably not a Toyota now); what's the likely resale value hit for something like this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I replaced the drivers side door check and this solved the popping noise problem. The problem was, the hinge on the door check assembly was worn so that when you close the door you will see the hinge move suddenly ( about a 16th of an inch ) and you will hear the pop at the same time.

This is not my youtube video but this is the exact same noise intensity as mine was. Also watch very carefully when you can see the door check hinge suddenly move causing the popping noise

·
Registered
1 Posts
I took my 2004 Sienna in and the dealer told me "Too bad, no warranty". The body shop wanted $450 for the repair and when asked indicated that they've done somewhere between 400 and 500 repairs. (Page Toyota, Southfield, MI). When I asked Suburban in Troy, their body shop said that they'd only replace the door and I was the one to "fight with Toyota". Upon calling, and after a 30 minute "run-a-round" I was told (in so many words) "Sorry Charlie" as it was my problem as they take no responsibility for their "manufacturing problems (my words not theirs) and go somewhere and get it fixed. I questioned on body shop who wanted the car for a day and figured a $150 would do the job.
My problem here is one of society in general "no body stand up and saz. that it's MY FAULT AND I'LL TAKE THE BLAME, NOW LET'S CORRECT THE PROBLEM" those words just aren't spoken in today's world I guess. Personally I'd like to start a class action suit and if a dealership has done some 400 to 500 repairs, and there are what 1,000 dealers - that's a lot of cars.
Just take responsibility TOYOTA

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did the fix on my 04 Sienna XLE, 250,000 miles (following the advice of smokey69 in post #73) using a STEEL pop rivet. I purchased an Assortment pop rivet pack from Lowes which contained 1/8" (with 1/4" grip) steel pop rivets. I did not take the door panel off.
While holding the door open and putting slight pressure on the door, I drilled two 1/8" holes using a Dewalt impact drill (because it is shorter than my regular drill to get between the door and door jamb). Had to drill the hole at a slight upward angle because there is not enough room to hold the drill level. The first hole I drilled directly into the spot weld location and the other just to the left of the spot weld. Inserted the two 1/8" steel pop rivets (1/4 inch grip). Done! No more pop noise. I would have preferred to use the larger 3/16" pop rivets as smokey69 suggested but they were not sold at Lowes.

101 - 106 of 106 Posts