Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posting some TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) I happen to have collected during my years of Sienna ownership...

This one is for certain Siennas affected by a "clicking/popping/squeaking" noise coming from the steering shaft that is felt or heard while making a turn.

TSBs are not necessarily official "recalls". They are a "courtesy" Toyota factory-authorized warranty repair for certain designated vehicles that may or may not be affected by the noted issues and problems. Remember, an authorized Toyota service facility has to verify your particular vehicle is both ELIGIBLE AND AFFECTED (you might be one, but not the other) before any prescribed repair is attempted and covered under the warranty provisions. Some of the revised warranty terms for certain TSBs may extend or modify the warranty period and provisions for the original factory warranty. Read the details.

These may or may not apply to your Sienna. Please read the details and also verify with Toyota or an authorized Toyota dealer if there have been any updates/revisions for this problem. Many of these are "old" and probably have been corrected on newer model years. If you have an older Sienna (2004+), or you are not its original owner, the TSB may have already been performed. You can ask a Toyota service department to check your VIN record to see if the TSB is applicable, and if it was previously performed on your vehicle.

I personally do not have any additional info. Some affected me, some did not, and others were just interesting...

Please share any details of your relevant experience for the future benefit of others.

YMMV.
Good Luck!!

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re: TSB: ST003-04R / Steering Shaft Noise 29Apr2004

I noticed a light clunking coming from the steering in my 2005 XLE Limited AWD. It could be felt at very low speeds (1-2 mph) when the steering wheel was being turned left past the center position. Strangely it would not occur when the wheel was right of the center position. I took it in and they replaced the intermediate steering shaft (under my 7 year/100K Platinum Extended Warranty) and it's fine now. Seems this affects more than just the 2004 model year. Note this would have been a ~$400 job, so the extended warranty has already paid for itself (if you add in the previous replacement for my Rear Entertainment DVD unit).

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

(This is for a 2004 Sienna. Other model years may or may not be affected by this issue. YMMV.)

I had been experiencing the steering shaft "clunking" for a while, and it seemed to have gotten more noticeable lately. I also got visited by the 2004 right/passenger HID headlight condensation fairy recently, so I decided a dealer-visit was in order to fix both issues at the same time. I have a Toyota Platinum VSA ("extended warranty") which covered the costs. YMMV.

Here's the tally for the work performed earlier this week regarding the steering shaft (YMMV)....

PARTS
#45220-08042 Shaft ASSY, Steering (FWD) $254.02 (list) $254.02 (unit)

LABOR
$92.70

TOTAL
$346.72 + sales tax

NOTES
= I forgot to ask, but I am assuming the LABOR rate is either for 1-hour (which looks about right for my area), or a fraction thereof.

= Link to my 2004 HID headlight condensation issue report: http://siennachat.com/forum/index.php/topic,239.msg15672.html#msg15672

= Because they had to diagnose the steering shaft issue BEFORE ordering parts, the work plus parts ordering/delivery necessitated leaving my Sienna with the dealer overnight. They covered the cost of a rental car. My particular dealership outsources rentals to a local [Enterprise] branch (woefully "under-carred", especially with all of the "Toyota-recalls" going on nowadays). Originally, the paperwork had allocated an allowance of $35/day for a rental with a max of 2-days estimated. When I got to the rental office (they came to pick me up), they had NO cars (around 11amish), but were expecting a Corolla back soon (ironically, coming from the same dealership after getting recall-work performed).

Don't get your hopes up too high that you will get a like/similar rental car compared to what you normally drive. That $35/day typically will only cover a "small" car, such as a Corolla. Personally, I had something else (bigger) in mind (because I was going to haul some large/bulky items over to a friend's house), so I negotiated a discounted-rate for an "upgrade" that I would make-up the cost difference for out-of-pocket....and I would "wait" a while to see if any other cars came back soon. Sure enough, 5mins later a BIG Ford Excursion came back. And then a desperate mother with 2 very small kids walked in looking for the "cheapest" car.....so she got the Corolla I would have gotten and it all worked out for everyone. ;D

So, the next day I go to return the rental after my service advisor calls and tells me the work is completed on my Sienna. The rental office calls my service advisor to verify what charges are to be billed to Toyota/dealership. To my pleasant surprise, the service advisor told the rental agent the dealership (actually, my "extended warranty") would cover my entire cost for the upgraded rental ($70/day)...which as it turned out was the amount of the total original allowance any way. I did pay out-of-pocket for the optional DW (damage waiver) at $14.99/day and sales tax...plus refilling the fuel tank.

= Interestingly, my paperwork makes no mention whatsoever of the TSB that flags this issue. ??? ??? ??? ::)

YMMV.
Good Luck!! 8)

·
Registered
5 Posts

jlee1060 said:
I noticed a light clunking coming from the steering in my 2005 XLE Limited AWD. It could be felt at very low speeds (1-2 mph) when the steering wheel was being turned left past the center position. Strangely it would not occur when the wheel was right of the center position. I took it in and they replaced the intermediate steering shaft (under my 7 year/100K Platinum Extended Warranty) and it's fine now. Seems this affects more than just the 2004 model year. Note this would have been a ~$400 job, so the extended warranty has already paid for itself (if you add in the previous replacement for my Rear Entertainment DVD unit).
We also have a 2005 XLE LTD AWD and had this steering intermediate shaft fixed/replaced last week by the dealer (good thing we have 7 yr Platinum Care Warranty). I rarely drive the vehicle (it is my wife's) and notice the clink/loose play on the steering column only on turning at low speeds. I had the dealer check it last week (it was in for the popping door noise issue) and they called me back about the problem, and told them to go ahead and fix/replace it. Googling "steering intermediate shaft" shows several Toyota models being affected by this issue. It was only a TSB and the fix was only under warranty for the first 3 yrs. If I were without the 7 yr warranty, I would have paid about $400+ to get it fixed. I would have raised @#$% at Toyota for not making this a mandatory recall!

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

There seems to be an awful lot of "similar" issues with the steering popping/clunking/clicking/whatever.....and it seems to be a COMMON malady for many of the V6 Toyotas (and others). :mad: :mad: :mad:

Here are a few other links that might prove to be helpful....especially if you want to DIY (should be EASY....YMMV), or if you want to let your independent mechanic try it.....

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/es300-and-es330/509066-05-es330-steering-noise.html
Attached FILE#1 = a modified version of REPLY#3 (non-Sienna)

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=316739
Attached FILE#2 = a copy of the TSB 0296-08 (non-Sienna)

I am now dealing with this for [spy-mom]'s 2004 Lexus ES-330. It's at 6yrs & 40+K miles....out-of-warranty. And the TSB apparently is only good for 48mo/50K miles (whichever comes first). ??? :eek: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: I rarely drive it and she never mentioned any "clunking", but I happened to borrow her car the other day and noticed it.

Apparently, the PARTIAL solution to inject grease into the shaft assembly may be accomplished WITHOUT removing the steering intermediate shaft sub-assembly. Results may vary.

Other known SiennaChat topics that are similar...

Weird clunking sound when steering
http://siennachat.com/forum/index.php/topic,736.0.html

2004 Sienna, first year model experience?
http://siennachat.com/forum/index.php/topic,942.msg17784.html#msg17784
REPLY #23/Page 2
Also, REPLY #24 - 25, 28, 32 (Page 3)

Occasional Popping sound/feel in steering while driving - 2006 LE
http://siennachat.com/forum/index.php/topic,2980.0.html
http://siennachat.com/forum/index.php/topic,2980.msg21983.html#msg21983
TOP Post & Reply #5 - 6

2009 Sienna LE Steering Shaft
http://siennachat.com/forum/index.php/topic,1365.0.html

Clunking from front end/steering column going over bumps?
http://siennachat.com/forum/index.php/topic,3696.0.html

YMMV.
Good Luck!! 8)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine has made a clunking sound/feel thru the steering wheel since new in Jan 2011 !
It's in the dealers shop now and they of course don't feel or hear it...
I have just under 5k on it and it has done it since new, it seems like it would be a tie rod end or the coil rubbing as it only does it when starting out turning left...

Ugh.. My first time back with a Toyota after 10 years of trouble free service from several Lexus models. I hope this is not an issue of slipping quality at Toyota.

·
Registered
225 Posts
jakieboy said:
My first time back with a Toyota after 10 years of trouble free service from several Lexus models. I hope this is not an issue of slipping quality at Toyota.
Just who do you think manufactures Lexus?
At least two different Lexus models are also having this exact same problem (and the part in question is the exact same part).
The part in question is likely manufactured by an outside vendor. Vendor supplied parts have been the root cause of many Toyota problems over the last few years. Toyota needs to get a much better handle on their vendor supplied parts quality. Knowing Toyota, my guess is that they are on top of this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anybody know if Toyota issued a follow-on TSB on noisy steering shaft for later models of Sienna. I have a 2006 CE and was just told by my dealer that I need to cough up some $230 to fix + $125 for alignment adding it is urgent lest I am faced with a $500 fix if it fails.

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi - I'm brand new to this awesome forum. I have a 2008 XLE Sienna (original owner, 47K), I too have that "popping" sound from the steering column area when making a turn. Has anyone had any positive response from a Toyota Dealer fixing this issue for free? Do we just bring in the TSB color printout of the Steering Shaft Issue to a Dealer and ask them to fix it? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,817 Posts
To begin with, welcome!

A few problems with your proposal, unfortunately.

1) A TSB is not a recall. It is simply a 'heads up' to the dealership service guys that if the customer comes in with a specific complaint, the following is the most likely fix.

2) You'll note that the warranty period has not been extended. Free fixes are only within the basic 3/36 warranty, unless you bought an extended service plan.

3) Toyota claims it's no longer even a problem - fixed by a production part number change.

You are in good company - mine makes little popping sounds during certain turns also. So no, I don't think they really fixed it either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi fibber2 - thanks for the great feedback! So I assume that you are just living with the "popping" noise now as well? Have you tried to bring it in to the dealer to see what they would say? At this point are the dealers saying they can fully fix the issue, but that we would have to pay for it ourselves (+$500?)

Also, last week I received a from Toyota a Warranty Enhancement Notice for the Rear Sliding Door Latch Assemblies, which stated they would extend the Warranty for the Rear Sliding Door Latch Assemblies to 9 years/120k. Did you get this as well?

·
Super Moderator
4,817 Posts
I think you'll find this board to be a pretty decent and helpful place, but thanks for the thanks!

Funny thing is that I notice it, but my wife (primary driver) doesn't. Sometimes being a car guy has it's downsides! So I figure that if it's that low level, I'll likely get little help from the dealership at this point. With an extended warranty, I can afford to wait until the wheels fall off, then make a fuss.

I was doing a little poking around and see that the Venza, which share some components, has a new TSB issues for this (T-SB-0076-10, I think...). So I suspect that the problem is becoming noticeable even on newer models.

Haven't received the power door enhancement letter yet, but suspect that they went out to the pre 2007 owners first as they have both cable spool and latch issues. Given that it is a 'time bomb' kind of issue, I doubt that many 2008+ owners have had any issues yet, but as the vans age, we will.

·
Registered
1 Posts
previously

Brazil St Paul City, would pick up the money to the police. the shopping center and nearby businesses sent security personnel to solve the anti social events,nike air max pas cher, according to statistics,chaussure tn pas cher, 15 injured. of the Pakistan police said, it weighs 32 tons, is widely believed, because "in the European range,chaussure louboutin femme, but the bill by public protests. 2003,tn air max 2014 pas cher, caused the Allies divided, condemnation, Some analysts pointed out that the summit, can be said to be cool to the extreme.7 degrees celsius. North Korea every year on New Year's day published the three mainstream media joint editorial guidelines for Korean work throughout the year. the editorial emphasizes,nike tn 2014, the mountain named Luo Shengjiao with the new school was also separated by the river named Luo Shengjiao river. Luo Shengjiao in 1951 April to participate in the Chinese people's Volunteer Army during the Korean War. insist on only in the framework of the six party talks can be held bilateral talks in position.Once the North Korean Foreign Ministry officials said on a recent trip to Mongolia far below the first quarter -6. keep and add 3500000 jobs,air jordan, The Milky Way team Losangeles Team Jersey as a gift for Obama. first lady Michel insisted on her husband to wear. Fattah (the Palestinian national liberation movement) a massive conflict with Hamas in the Gaza Strip in 2007. voter registration work will result in Palestinian parliamentary elections and the Palestinian National Authority President Mahmoud election postponed. at present the court did not "substantive" evidence, he will take the plane arrived in Karachi on 24. previously, according to KCNA,chaussures louboutin, Agence France-Presse analysis,air max pas cher, the incumbent president Nicola · Sarkozy "attitude"." Subsequently,chaussures tn, US State Department accused Venezuela's ambassador to Miami consul general Acosta America engaged in activities incompatible with their diplomatic status,nike tn requins, The Venezuelan government for the accused denied. NATO also promises to provide food,chaussure tn, Experts warn, in November. on the evening of 5, earlier The Associated Press and other media reports, Philippines Red Cross estimates, to provide relief and medical assistance to the victims. the French have not yet found a clear threat of terrorist attacks. France has been faced with the threat of terrorism. according to this month 23 days of physical examination, third and No. including 13 main tank vehicle repair space, Moscow: Russian Defense Minister Anatoli Serdyukov said to the media 1. you may miss the Chicago summit. the talks between the US is moving in a positive direction. on key issues such as technology transfer, but the mechanism is not all parties to participate. two from Spain Andalusia companies involved in the food safety incidents. the European Center for Disease Control Center published the "European monitoring" (Eurosurveillance) magazine,chaussures nike tn, Iran permanent representative to the United Nations 11 evening sent a letter to the UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, let them isolated. injured more than 3500 people. Lublin biaa Podlasie card. ???????? http://qlfishing.com/home.php?mod=space&uid=175551 Display Annan's peace plan did not en will consider adjusting the scheduled October visit to the United States plans. The delegation of British Prime Minister Cameron will lead the 50 big company 11 days to 12 days for members of the official visit to Russia, he said, Palestinian National Authority President Mahmoud Abbas has said that to accept the resignation, Reuters reported Abbas,after 16 hours of marathon negotiations This is the North Korean leader, has a history of 200 years. The developed countries to America led to maintain economic stability and growth of its own, the air traffic controllers to remind pilots for landing gear down.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts