Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posting some TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) I happen to have collected during my years of Sienna ownership...

This one is for the infamous transmission hesitation that some Siennas (and other Toyota models with the same 3.3L engine/transmission combination) seem to be plagued with. It re-calibrates the ECM (electronic control module) that tells the tranny what to do. Note: Some owners in the past have had a difficult time getting a Toyota dealer to perform this TSB properly. Your personal results will vary on how successful or not this TSB is for your Sienna. Driving style, fuel, road surface/geography, temperature, traffic patterns, planetary alignment, and your zodiac sign may or may not be factors. YMMV!!

TSBs are not necessarily official "recalls". They are a "courtesy" Toyota factory-authorized warranty repair for certain designated vehicles that may or may not be affected by the noted issues and problems. Remember, an authorized Toyota service facility has to verify your particular vehicle is both ELIGIBLE AND AFFECTED (you might be one, but not the other) before any prescribed repair is attempted and covered under the warranty provisions. Some of the revised warranty terms for certain TSBs may extend or modify the warranty period and provisions for the original factory warranty. Read the details.

These may or may not apply to your Sienna. Please read the details and also verify with Toyota or an authorized Toyota dealer if there have been any updates/revisions for this problem. Many of these are "old" and probably have been corrected on newer model years. If you have an older Sienna (2004+), or you are not its original owner, the TSB may have already been performed. You can ask a Toyota service department to check your VIN record to see if the TSB is applicable, and if it was previously performed on your vehicle.

I personally do not have any additional info. Some affected me, some did not, and others were just interesting...

Please share any details of your relevant experience for the future benefit of others.

YMMV.
Good Luck!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Why does the date in the title and at the top of each page of the TSB read Nov. 7, 2003 ? How could it be dated a full year before the affected vehicle dates?

Just curious,

-b

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 2004 MY (model year) was actually released "early". Deliveries began in early 2003...late 1st quarter (??...not exactly sure??). Therefore, the TSB is covering all applicable Siennas built within the specified dates and/or VINs. It is also common for vehicle manufacturers to "pre-date" a model. For example, 2009 MY cars are often released for delivery to showrooms by approx Sep2008. Sometimes, they really turn the clock forward....2010 MY Siennas are already shipping in Canada and at least 1 member here in the USA has one ordered for mid-Jun 2009 delivery. This will vary from manufacturer and model and year...it all depends upon their sales/marketing/product planning strategy.

Regarding this TSB, do note that it is REVISED....it is the 2nd REVISION (3rd chronological version) and is dated for Jun2005. You may want to verify with your Toyota dealer if there have been any SUBSEQUENT revisions since then.

YMMV.
Good Luck!! 8)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Has anyone else had this TSB done and felt that it didn't change anything? I'm bringing in my '04 sienna tonight and I was going to have them apply this TSB as my car is pretty jumpy out of turns.

·
Registered
31 Posts
my sienna doesnt have any warranty or anything... will the toyota dealer fix this without any charge?

my sienna needs this TSB.... the steering shaft noise, and the rotten egg smell?.... any info on the rotten egg smell?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, this is my first post and I am also wondering if anyone has noticed an improvement after the reprogram.
Since it will cost me ~$100 to pay them, I want to make sure it is worth it.
Also just my 2cents, I think it is BS that Toyota will only cover this if the vehicle is <80,000 miles or 96months.

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Any success stories with this transmission Software update? I paid $80 hoping this resolve it and it didn't. I did notice the car was fine for a couple of days after update but then went back to it's old ways.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts