Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Sienna LE and today my back/trunk rear door wouldn't open. I pull on the black latch in the back and there is a clicking sound, but it won't open. When I click the lock/unlock button on the FOB or in the car, there is no locking/unlocking sound from the back door. I have removed the plastic cover from inside and tried connecting and reconnecting the wires associated with the locking mechanism, but nothing worked. I have also tried to manually to open the door from inside, but when I flip the latch inside (gold pin) nothing happens. Any suggestions would be really appreciated!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
It sounds like the rear door lock actuator is shot. If you have the rear interior panel removed, can you see the cable that is attached to the rear handle?

I usually try to access that with my hand. If that doesn't work you'll need some needle nose pliers to reach it. Then you should be able to open the rear hatch. I have a 1st Gen sienna, so it might be a little different.

Here is a video for rear handle replacement on a second gen. It might provide some tips.

Regards, JC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response JC. I definitely think the rear door lock actuator is the issue, didn't know it was called that :). When I removed the rear interior panel I can see the cable attached to rear handle, in the second generation models there is no metal rod to lift up and open. When I pull the rear handle, I can see the actuator move, but the door doesn't not open.

Do you think replacing the actuator would fix the problem? Thanks for the video, it helped me get the panel off previously. If you fast forward to 7:27 in that video, you can see that there are 3 black bolts that hold the actuator. I tried removing it to see if I could open the door, but with the door in the closed position I can only access 2 of the 3 bolts. Any suggestions?

If I was able to get the third bolt off, would the actuator come free from its attachment to the latching mechanism or is there another step to disengage it? If so, can I do that step with the door close to try to manually open it?

Thanks again for any suggestions/help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the part link. Anyone with any ideas on how to remove the rear actuator with the rear door closed???

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue yesterday, actuator sounds like it's working but the door remained locked, but we just got it open hoorayyyy

The mechanism can be pried open with a well placed flathead screwdriver! There is a lever mechanism you can flip, the arms in mine were out of line. Have someone open the door while you're looking at it from the inside (after taking the panel off) so you can see what's going on

·
Registered
125 Posts
For what it’s worth, here’s a picture of the rear door actuator from the top, looking down. The small lever is the manual release. Pull up on the lever and it should pop open.
89D19F7E-6339-4705-B384-8925F52DA4DE.jpeg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the picture. Mine looks slightly different. I see the the bar move but it doesn't open and I can't move it farther than the actuator. Maybe something is blocking it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Interesting... yes, that pic was from a 2008 XLE. Well, that sure is a dilemma... Have you tried a little judicious "tapping" on the mechanism? Maybe if you loosen the one bolt that you can get to, you'll have a little room to get in there and force the latch catch over. Does kind of sound like something is jammed. If you need any more info/pictures, etc. from a working version while I've got this one open, just let me know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Finally had time to further trouble shoot. I was able to remove 3 bolts from actuator but still wouldn't open. I then vacuumed and wiggled and jammed a screw driver in and disliked a piece of glass. Turns out after the broken back window glass was bouncing around inside the tailgate. Anyway afterwards the actuator wouldn't push the mechanism far enough so I improvised by drilling hole and adding a screw. It works but I dont know for how long.
20190629_132155.jpg
20190629_133008.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have exact the same problem, can't open the door AND I had rear glass shattered about a year ago.
I removed the panel, trying to stick flat screwdriver there the lock is, but it doesn't help... tried to wiggle.
I'm trying to manually force-release the latch but it holds really strong. Do you have a picture showing how it locks?

Finally had time to further trouble shoot. I was able to remove 3 bolts from actuator but still wouldn't open. I then vacuumed and wiggled and jammed a screw driver in and disliked a piece of glass. Turns out after the broken back window glass was bouncing around inside the tailgate. Anyway afterwards the actuator wouldn't push the mechanism far enough so I improvised by drilling hole and adding a screw. It works but I dont know for how long. View attachment 43848 View attachment 43849

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have exact the same problem, can't open the door AND I had rear glass shattered about a year ago.
I removed the panel, trying to stick flat screwdriver there the lock is, but it doesn't help... tried to wiggle.
I'm trying to manually force-release the latch but it holds really strong. Do you have a picture showing how it locks?
Here is a picture but I dont think it will help. I just forced a flathead screw driver in the mechanism moving it slightly back and forth until the glass piece was broken smaller or let loose.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok, in the end I fixed it. Not sure what caused it though. I didn't see any piece of glass (though I had it shattered a year ago and replaced). What I found out is that lever - lock is a metal piece, wrapped in thin plastic. It was somewhat damaged and I'm not sure it was because of me poking it with a screwdriver))) I'm thinking it was old and worn out and a small piece of plastic stuck and the lock couldn't work anymore (car has 260k miles. I have another Sienna, older, over 420k and no such problem). I sprayed WD-40 generously and was removing that plastic piece by piece.
Here are 2 pics. 1 shows plastic on lever still on, 2nd - removed.

All of this took me about 3 hours. So I guess clean your lock with wd-40 at least once in 10 years)))

1 - 14 of 14 Posts