Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've ordered a small 8" under-seat powered subwoofer (Rockville 100W SS8P). It will take a pre-amp signal from my new aftermarket head. I've never installed an amp before so I'm looking for tips.

1) Where to install? My understanding is these usually go underneath the passenger seat, but does it matter?

2) Run power and audio cables separately? Crutchfield suggests running the amp power line on the opposite side of the audio. This seems challenging. For example, how does one easily run the cable under the carpet across the floor without having to remove the entire carpet?

3) Can someone direct me to some instructions for how to remove the trim of the lower front console? The trim at the base of the door opening? I have a bad habit of breaking these types of things when I try to remove them.

Many thanks,

MIke

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was able to install the subwoofer this weekend. So in case anyone else out there is interested...

1. Put the subwoofer under the passenger's seat, in part out of concern of someone trying to lower drivers side seat onto it. It just barely fit, but was snug enough that I didn't need to secure it (or so I think). A large sub would not have fitted.
  2. Ran the power cable through the firewall by clipping a small rubber nipple just below where the other cables go through the rubber seal on the driver's side near the top.
  3. Was able to run power cable under the edge and then under the center console. Was able to remove some of the center console by first removing the cup holder in the front. Didn't break anything!
  4. Ran the RCA, power on, and remote cables behind the glove compartment and under the foot of the passenger side door. The trim just pulled up.
  5. Was able to use one of the screws that held the old dash speakers in place to ground the amp. Perfect size and fit.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Have any photos of this?

I couldn't do an underseat sub due to the JBL amp, so I mounted a pair of leftover shallow mount 8's between the middle row for now until I can build the stealthbox in the 8th seat storage are.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was able to install the subwoofer this weekend. So in case anyone else out there is interested...

1. Put the subwoofer under the passenger's seat, in part out of concern of someone trying to lower drivers side seat onto it. It just barely fit, but was snug enough that I didn't need to secure it (or so I think). A large sub would not have fitted.
  2. Ran the power cable through the firewall by clipping a small rubber nipple just below where the other cables go through the rubber seal on the driver's side near the top.
  3. Was able to run power cable under the edge and then under the center console. Was able to remove some of the center console by first removing the cup holder in the front. Didn't break anything!
  4. Ran the RCA, power on, and remote cables behind the glove compartment and under the foot of the passenger side door. The trim just pulled up.
  5. Was able to use one of the screws that held the old dash speakers in place to ground the amp. Perfect size and fit.
modifiedmike, thanks for the info; I just purchased a similar compact sub from crutchfield and am looking to install most likely under the pass seat as you did. Did you have any problem with the ac vent ducts under the seat? Sounds like you just slid it between the underside of the seat and the top of the ducts? Any sub vibration complaints from your passengers since they're right on top of it?
Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
i'd like to see as well. there are a few out there, but it's a big interior, so i'd be more afraid that it didn't give enough output. not basshead levels, but enough to justify installing it in the first place.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i'd like to see as well. there are a few out there, but it's a big interior, so i'd be more afraid that it didn't give enough output. not basshead levels, but enough to justify installing it in the first place.
I purchased the Kenwood KSC-SW11, which is pretty close in size to the Rockville one mentioned above. Gonna try some fit tests under the driver and pass seats when it comes in this weekend and will try to post some pics once I'm sure of a good location. As far as the sound goes, these compact subs are not gonna blow the doors off as we all know, but I just need something to fill in the bottom of my system. I'm a musician and got the van to haul gear and not so much people, so not too worried about filling up the entire van with bass.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Got my Kenwood KSC-SW11 Sub in the mail today and did a quick fitment check under the front seats- it fits nicely under the driver's seat and doesn't get in the way of the airbag wiring or seat rail movement (clearance about 1.5"). Pass side was not as neat and could potentially pose a problem with vibrations, as it was right up against the seat rail on the side and also didn't sit completely flat on the floor because of the air vents. I guess if you played with the pass side a little, you can make it work, but I'm going with the driver's side; it will probably be a good preventive idea to also put some good grade rubber or dampener between the sub side and seat rail as a precaution, too. Not sure exactly when I'll get everything done, but I'll try to post updates/pics as I move forward.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts