Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi out there
I have a 2015 Sienna SE and took it with me from California to Europe. There is a chance I might have to upgrade to turn signals on the mirrors due to registration issues at the DMV.
Does someone know if I can install maybe XLE mirrors with lights and is the wiring ready up to the connector under the door panel?

Thank‘s for the tips!

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
There have been past threads about installing aftermarket mirror covers with turn signals and maybe one about installing OEM Limited mirror covers that have turn signals. Try using the advanced search feature.

One forum member - coasterfan - installed Sienna Limited mirrors on his Sienna XLE. I don't think he posted information about it on this forum but he said on his blog that he had to install wiring on his XLE to handle the signal and power folding functions. His blog about it - in German - is at https://toyota-sienna-in-germany.blogspot.com/2014/03/neue-spiegel.html

You might be able to get a waiver on having side turn signals. I see plenty of new Sienna being sold in Germany without side turn signals ... here is a link to some: https://www.auto.de/search/vehicle/c5e9cc40-d79d-4ba1-99c3-681cea8872c3?utm_source=12gebrauchtwagen.de&utm_campaign=premium_partner&utm_medium=content_integration

The front parking lights also might not meet EC regulations and you might also need a rear fog light. I installed the same rear fog light that coasterfan is using on his Sienna in Germany. There's a link to a thread about it in my signature.

Also, some people have installed side turn signals in the front fenders on Sienna imported into Europe. There's at least one thread on this forum about that.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have a 2014 XLE and installed turn signals on the side mirrors by buying the Limited mirror covers and some aftermarket LED turn signals, from the big Taiwanese company, MIT. They look and work great, over 3 years now since I installed them. The MIT mirrors came with a wiring kit and it was overall not a difficult installation; the hardest part was getting the wires through the mirror stalk/neck into the door, but I don't think I did it the proper way (I just fished them in pretty much which was very difficult but there apparently is an easier way). I originally wanted to install OEM Limited LED turn signals but wasn't sure how tricky the wiring would be and went with the MIT mirrors, but always kind of regretted it a little, even though the MIT ones do look and work just fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome thank you for all the infos! I had the safety inspection done today and no complains about anything except the VIN. They claim it needs to be somewhere else on the frame of the car, not just in the lower left corner under the windshield and the sticker on the driver side. As far as I found out Toyota stamped the VIN up to 2008 models in the frame in front of the passenger seat on the floor where the carpet is cut. After 2008 not anymore. Do you have any idea, is there no other location with the VIN?
Thank‘s for all the help really appreciate!

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
On my 2014, the VIN is also shown on the underside of the hood and on the door jams at the back of both sliding doors. It's probably in other places too.

What country are you in or can you disclose that, LOL? Did you get local number/license plates?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes ours has the VIN stickers all over the place. The problem is they want to see it stamped or engraved in the body of the vehicle like it used to be. Switzerland. Not yet first the VIN issue then once that is solved I could get plates.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Switzerland, eh. I retired after 31 years with a Swiss company and have been to Zurich.

Swiss Toyota dealers officially imported the generation 3 Sienna for several years ending in around 2015 when it was replaced by a ProAce version of the Citroën Jumpy. A Swiss Toyota dealership should be able to tell you where an acceptable VIN is located on your Sienna.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool, yes they stopped importing them in 2015. Good idea I‘ll talk to a local dealer and see if they can tell me. The Toyota importer is Emil Frey AG and they have been useless so far when it came to answer questions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey so a little update on our Sienna. It passed the DMV checks and we got Swiss plates without any problems. I had the VIN professionally engraved in the frame and they are happy with it.
Thank´s for all the help!!

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Hey so a little update on our Sienna. It passed the DMV checks and we got Swiss plates without any problems. I had the VIN professionally engraved in the frame and they are happy with it.
Thank´s for all the help!!
Switzerland is especially easy on imported vehicles and nothing like countries in the European Union. Some of my Swiss coworkers at the company I retired from took American vehicles home with them when they finished their assignments at our U.S. offices and weren't required to make any modifications at all to them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts