Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one upgraded their brakes in the 21 / 22 Model yr ?

Upgrading the Rotors and going with Drilled Disc ?

Like Brembo or Wilwood Drilled Disc brakes ?

Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Camera accessory Font

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sienna weighs in at 4600 lbs before luggage and people,
Im looking at PERFORMANCE
Stopping a 5,000+LBS Van is my consideration the way people now are focused on their smart phones while driving instead of driving safely.

Non even taking into consideration if your towing anything...
Braking from 70 to zero is 188 ft,
I like to reduce that, also Manufacturers rarely use top of line set ups unless your Porsche , or a Aston Martin

·
Registered
532 Posts
The F-Sport brakes from the Lexus IS and GS models. The dream brakes for Sienna, Camry, Highlanders! If only someone would retrofit them to fit.
Camera accessory Helmet Cameras & optics Audio equipment Output device

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wouldn't tires be the first place to look to reduce stopping distances though?
Not tires, they give you better traction, better steering handing , its the calipers, break pads and rotors that do the heavy lifting...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With all the SIENNAS in production for this GEN 4, let alone prior Generations some one must have retrofitted their brakes will have to check in on other GENS to see what they have done. Will UPDATE with what I dig up

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tires are CHEAP. pocket change compared to the cost of a Quality Brake upgrade like BREMBO or Wilwood , o_O I can explain it to you but I can not understand it for you.....

·
Registered
193 Posts
Tires are CHEAP. pocket change compared to the cost of a Quality Brake upgrade like BREMBO or Wilwood , o_O I can explain it to you but I can not understand it for you.....
I completely understand.

It comes down to how much you want to spend and diminishing returns. The best bang for the buck upgrades for stopping power are good tires and pads. From what I understand (could be wrong) big brake kits key benefit is repeated stopping power ON TRACK. You will see stopping power increased in an emergency situation, though still limited by tire grip.

If you want to just ball out and put a big brake kit on it then go for it. Something to keep in mind if upgrading the rotors and calipers is it might mess up your ABS and VSA. It could throw off the balance.

·
Registered
36 Posts
For towing or lots of mountain driving, they say semimetalic pads have more stopping power and heat distribution. They are also cheaper, but make more noise and more dust. We go up and over the highest year-round pass in the Sierras daily, at 8900', loosing up to 500 feet per mile, and several of our toyotas have had break vibrations once hot (not my '92 4runner, but keeping it in 5th minimizes the braking needed).

On snow and ice, the tires are easily the weak point. In emergency braking, when locking up the wheels on wet or dry pavement and potentially activating ABS, they are the weak point too. So it depends a bit on if you are mostly looking at the lock-up scenario, or if you want better high temp braking in non lock-up situations.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The other posters are correct. Your best option to shorten stopping distance in an emergency situation is better tires.

Where better brakes come into play is during aggressive and/or sustained mountain driving. Better brakes perform better when higher sustained heat load comes into play.

The stock brakes are sufficient to engage ABS. After market brakes will not provide any significant improvement in this area. Once ABS is triggered it all comes down to tires.

·
Registered
2022 Toyota Sienna XSE | Celestial Silver
35 Posts
There are a couple of people in this forum who have put the Rotora 6 & 8 Piston performance brakes on their Sienna. I don't have the information, but they are on this forum.

·
Registered
945 Posts
There are a couple of people in this forum who have put the Rotora 6 & 8 Piston performance brakes on their Sienna. I don't have the information, but they are on this forum.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for that info

·
Registered
66 Posts
A big brake kit won't do what you want...
But then again if you understood that you wouldn't be asking or being so dismissive to others.

Tires and pads are going to be more effective at way less cost for the panic stop situation you are worried about.

Big brakes like you are suggesting won't help anywhere near enough to justify the cost or efforts.

Honestly big brakes might not improve stopping distance AT ALL.

·
Registered
19 Posts
A big brake kit won't do what you want...
But then again if you understood that you wouldn't be asking or being so dismissive to others.

Tires and pads are going to be more effective at way less cost for the panic stop situation you are worried about.

Big brakes like you are suggesting won't help anywhere near enough to justify the cost or efforts.

Honestly big brakes might not improve stopping distance AT ALL.
Don’t let the posters here dissuade you, HCasado. So many people have opinions on things they never personally venture to try themselves. Better brakes make a worthwhile performance difference. Big brakes take that difference up to another level.

I’ve upgraded tires, wider as well as different seasonal/performance ratings, added higher quality brake pads, even upgraded rotors from stock. Tires and pads would be the first place to start but none of this compares to getting a big brake kit, which I have also done on my 2013 Sienna. Rotora 8-piston 405mm fronts and 4-piston 380mm rears is what I have. The stopping power with them on this van is now tremendously improved over all of the above upgrades. Not to mention I don’t have to worry about premature rotor replacement anymore as the stock rotors are underpowered for the heft of the van. And forget anything using the OEM tires, those are the first things to get replaced anyway.

Yes, the van doesn’t “need” a big brake kit, but does anyone really “need” all of the bells and whistles that come on upgraded trims and make the Sienna into a $45-$50k van? Not really. It’s all personal preference. Basic upgrades like tires and pads will incrementally improve braking performance and be way less expensive. You may not ever use the full potential of the big brakes on the street, and you’re going to spend a lot of money for a big brake kit but it’s so worth it if that’s the performance you’re looking for. Some driver’s preference for their money are brakes and other performance upgrades that those who’ve never had them would never understand.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Don’t let the posters here dissuade you, HCasado. So many people have opinions on things they never personally venture to try themselves. Better brakes make a worthwhile performance difference. Big brakes take that difference up to another level.

I’ve upgraded tires, wider as well as different seasonal/performance ratings, added higher quality brake pads, even upgraded rotors from stock. Tires and pads would be the first place to start but none of this compares to getting a big brake kit, which I have also done on my 2013 Sienna. Rotora 8-piston 405mm fronts and 4-piston 380mm rears is what I have. The stopping power with them on this van is now tremendously improved over all of the above upgrades. Not to mention I don’t have to worry about premature rotor replacement anymore as the stock rotors are underpowered for the heft of the van. And forget anything using the OEM tires, those are the first things to get replaced anyway.

Yes, the van doesn’t “need” a big brake kit, but does anyone really “need” all of the bells and whistles that come on upgraded trims and make the Sienna into a $45-$50k van? Not really. It’s all personal preference. Basic upgrades like tires and pads will incrementally improve braking performance and be way less expensive. You may not ever use the full potential of the big brakes on the street, and you’re going to spend a lot of money for a big brake kit but it’s so worth it if that’s the performance you’re looking for. Some driver’s preference for their money are brakes and other performance upgrades that those who’ve never had them would never understand.
It's not about need or want or whatever.

Do what mods you want. It's your car.

But don't put on huge brake rotors if you are expecting them to shorten stopping distances.

Also my comment is not opinion. Go do some searching. Big brakes are about limiting, preventing, lessening brake heat up over repeated stops to combat brake fade.

Larger rotors aren't going to just instantly create shorter stopping distances because you want to believe it.

Many many sources online will echo that.

Now can larger rotors, along with a crap load of other braking system and tire changes end up with shorter braking distances? Yep. After a crap load of other parts and money.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts