Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
But I guess if you want to spend thousands of dollars on big ass racing brakes, and that makes you happy... so be it.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
234 Posts
I cannot say my experience can apply to a new Hybrid. But, I had a 2002 Sienna which I was forced to replace when I got permanent residence in Mexico. Once, coming south into Puebla city, there is a long stretch where every so often there is a major speed bump. The only way to make time is go come off the speed bump and go full throttle until the next one, then brake hard. After quite a few of these, suddenly I had virtually no brakes, faded out. Sort of scared me and I do not scare easily. I talked to my very clever son-in-law and he got new rotors "slotted and drilled". He calls them racing rotors. He also put on ceramic pads. I never had another fade during the rest of the 222,000 miles. Yes, these rotors are to eliminate fade. Been there done that. I think he put them on my 2009 Mexican Sienna too when I was back there last year. And, it did not cost thousands of dollars. Does this supply any usable information for a new hybrid? I do not know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Upgrade the electric motors, then tires and then pads. Lol… jokes aside the motor/s are doing a lot of our braking. Regen braking is part of the reason why our vans don’t stop as quickly as our ICE counterparts.

Also, tires are what connects your car to the pavement. With the OE tires your ability to stop with a big brake kit is just wasted. With the OE tires and a big kit you’ll just end up locking up your tires and understeering into something.

Like everyone else has said, tires first then brakes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Don’t let the posters here dissuade you, HCasado. So many people have opinions on things they never personally venture to try themselves. Better brakes make a worthwhile performance difference. Big brakes take that difference up to another level.

I’ve upgraded tires, wider as well as different seasonal/performance ratings, added higher quality brake pads, even upgraded rotors from stock. Tires and pads would be the first place to start but none of this compares to getting a big brake kit, which I have also done on my 2013 Sienna. Rotora 8-piston 405mm fronts and 4-piston 380mm rears is what I have. The stopping power with them on this van is now tremendously improved over all of the above upgrades. Not to mention I don’t have to worry about premature rotor replacement anymore as the stock rotors are underpowered for the heft of the van. And forget anything using the OEM tires, those are the first things to get replaced anyway.

Yes, the van doesn’t “need” a big brake kit, but does anyone really “need” all of the bells and whistles that come on upgraded trims and make the Sienna into a $45-$50k van? Not really. It’s all personal preference. Basic upgrades like tires and pads will incrementally improve braking performance and be way less expensive. You may not ever use the full potential of the big brakes on the street, and you’re going to spend a lot of money for a big brake kit but it’s so worth it if that’s the performance you’re looking for. Some driver’s preference for their money are brakes and other performance upgrades that those who’ve never had them would never understand.
Great Write great Info. I have been in touch with ROTORA, I concur Bell and whistle upgrades are al personal choice... Thanks

21 - 24 of 24 Posts