Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I just accidentally had the back door(or hatch or liftgate etc) stuck(jammed) by placing a little rag at the latch part and closing the door...
My husband's soooo mad.
There is a Youtube video by someone with 2007 Sienna opening the jammed back door manually by opening the little tiny access window on the inside where the lock mechanism is and,
pulling a small handle up inside and his son pulling the door from the outside.
Well, I tried that, but the auto lock system seems to prevent that.

I thought the auto system for the back door must be turned off to manually open it from inside...??? So I searched the manual to see if there is any button for that,
but I only found a button but it just says "Sliding Power" and seems to be just for the sliding doors...
I cannot find the button that turns off the entire auto lock system.

I appreciate it sooo much if someone can HELP ME ASAP!!!
Thank you!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not an expert on this but I have had problems with my lift gate. Mine (2006) has separate buttons left side of driver's knee to disable power to sliding doors and lift gate. They are next to each other. Perhaps Toyota combined button functions into one button on next year model like yours?

My lift gate rarely works (manually or with power). At least in mine, the mechanism inside the little access window works regardless of button setting. The trick is making sure you are pulling up on the correct handle, which can be a little tricky, especially if the locking mechanism isn't in its final locking position (which may be the case if a rag is preventing it from fully locking).

·
Registered
2009 Sienna LE
253 Posts
Here's something you can try. Lean into the door hard before trying to open it. This may relieve the pressure on the latch mechanism and allow it to function.

I have used the manual switch, and it didn't require turning anything off. You just reach in and squeeze it...pulling it up, if I remember correctly.

You could also have someone outside the van lean into the door hard, while another person inside pulls the manual lever.

Hope you get it open! Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi bencahill,
Thanks! yes, looks like the "Sliding door power" button just disables the sliding door auto lock system, not the back hatch.
All I had to do is just a little stronger push from inside and voila! the door opened just like that.

Thanks!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts