Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know what to do here.

I wiped out where the tracks slide. Yet nothing...

What is wrong with this? please help! We need to drive kids to school in the morning!

·
Registered
328 Posts
What happens if you turn off the power doors and try to manually close?

The button to turn off the power doors should be on your lower left as you sit in the driver's seat. It should be marked "PWR Door Off" and found to the left of the steering wheel and the right of the small cubby with a door.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Sienna XLE Premium 8 Passengers 🚐
101 Posts
make sure that the fuel door is seated all the way. Happened to me before when I forgot to fully close that door. There's a plunger switch that the fuel door interacts with.

i fixed it by popping the fuel door release then closing it fully again.. been years. never happened again.

Have you tried locking and unlock the door and then also turning off the power doors and then slowly closing the door?? what happens if you do?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What happens if you turn off the power doors and try to manually close?

The button to turn off the power doors should be on your lower left as you sit in the driver's seat. It should be marked "PWR Door Off".
So when i press button to "Turn off power doors" it wont budge. Like something stopping it. My wife was able to Manually close it once today. Then aftarwards it just keeps doing like in the video..

Right now i have disconnected batter for 5 minutes in hopes that it will "reset" door batteries. I read this somewhere

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
make sure that the fuel door is seated all the way. Happened to me before when I forgot to fully close that door. There's a plunger switch that the fuel door interacts with.

i fixed it by popping the fuel door release then closing it fully again.. been years. never happened again.

Have you tried locking and unlock the door and then also turning off the power doors and then slowly closing the door?? what happens if you do?
Matter of fact the last thing we did before we came come was get gas but gas door is closed.

I will try your next suggestions next!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Big problem...

I disconnected black terminal of battery for 5 min then reconnected it. and now there are NO BEEPS, the door is not doing ANYTHING..

I did open and reopen the gas door, it seemed to be fine.

Just to repeat, no matter what this door will NOT close, manually or otherwise.

·
Registered
2009 le awd
222 Posts
Can you close it with the battery disconnected ? Can it be switched to manual mode ?
Mine has a switch lower left under gages that can change it between power and manual.

As far as the fuel door goes if i open it, it limits the sliding door travel so you don't take out the fuel door. It still allows it to close though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Have you contacted a dealer because there are several TSBs and a recall for the sliding doors and it may be covered by an extended warranty/TSB/Recall due to the many problems they have had with these doors. Have your VIN when you call. Use this link to check for recalls, and service bulletins etc Recalls | NHTSA

·
Registered
'11 Limited FWD
173 Posts
I just tried to close my left slider with the fuel flap released, and it stopped in pretty much that exact same spot.

The seemingly inoperable power door button sounds strange to me. The button doesn't move that much; maybe 1/16" or so. Just enough to show or hide the orange strip at the top. But if it really is broken, I'd try to pry it out and unplug it, then see if you have manual door operation.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looked at your video. It may be the broken cable that is covered by the recall.

Thank you for this!

I looked into recall vs my service records, it appears the wiring recall (only wiring) was repaired just prior to us purchasing it in 2018.
The recall and lawsuit looks pretty expansive and shows recalls for other parts besides wiring too like door mechanics but only our wiring was repaired.

• So if wiring was repaired, why are my doors breaking?
  • And if they already repaired it would they cover the repair again?
  • Anyone familiar with this settlement/recall chime in as well here?

Toyota shows no active recalls for my VIN on my 2015 XLE, and only 1 record of wiring recall repaired, which makes me nervous

·
Registered
'11 Limited FWD
173 Posts
I would check the fuel filler flap. Release it and make sure that the little device at the front of the lower track moves. If it does, it means the filler flap cable is OK. If it doesn't, it means the cable is broken which will stop the door exactly where yours stops.

The device is partially covered by a black plastic surround, which isn't present on the right slider. It's just out of sight in the bottom of the video you posted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ws recalls for other parts
FYI the car is at Toyota getting diagnostics but i'm 85% sure now i know whats wrong.
In this video:
you'll see a lever under the driver side sliding door that engages/disengages when you close the gas door. As other people said in this thread, that's where this problem probably started.
Then i beileive that while we attempted to force door shut/open, and whilst pressing power door buttons, the fuse blew.

I believe i have to trip the lever from the above video, then change power door fuse, and problem SHOULD be fixed.

Unfortunately Toyota is going to charge me $160 for Diagnostics on this, for a CERTIFIED Toyota with a recall, with less than 80k miles! they should be ashamed. I'm outta work due to cancer, so little funds.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ask Toyota Corporate for help on this repair. You can try doing it thru the dealer.
According to the Toyota Master Tech who is known as the car care nut on youtube and has many videos on Toyota issues and repairs etc, any time you have a Sienna sliding door problem you should first ask the dealer for help and to check for outstanding technical service bulletins etc that may cover all or part of the repair cost.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I looked into recall vs my service records, it appears the wiring recall (only wiring) was repaired just prior to us purchasing it in 2018.
The recall and lawsuit looks pretty expansive and shows recalls for other parts besides wiring too like door mechanics but only our wiring was repaired.

• So if wiring was repaired, why are my doors breaking?
  • And if they already repaired it would they cover the repair again?
  • Anyone familiar with this settlement/recall chime in as well here?

Toyota shows no active recalls for my VIN on my 2015 XLE, and only 1 record of wiring recall repaired, which makes me nervous
All dealer repairs are warrantied for 1 Yr/12K miles so if you are within these parameters, the repair cost to you should be zero unless the dealer gets creative with the reason for this issue or if it is indeed a different issue.
I think the earlier vehicles(2011-15/16) were the ones where a lot of parts were swapped out as part of the recall. If this issue is identified as one of those parts and the dealer is not willing to help, your best bet is Toyota.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
All dealer repairs are warrantied for 1 Yr/12K miles so if you are within these parameters, the repair cost to you should be zero unless the dealer gets creative with the reason for this issue or if it is indeed a different issue.
I think the earlier vehicles(2011-15/16) were the ones where a lot of parts were swapped out as part of the recall. If this issue is identified as one of those parts and the dealer is not willing to help, your best bet is Toyota.
Dealer Said they did do the recall and that no they wont repair it for free the recall repair was done in 2018 and they want $1500 to fix so i brought it home.
Edit: so per your guys' suggestions i tweeted to Toyota corporate, and i called the toyota corporate customer service, and they gave me a case number.
They were pretty shocked to hear the door was stuck open while kids were in the car. Anyways, they are supposed to call me by noon tomorrow.

Now i want to check the fuses just in case, because when you press the power sliding door buttons for left side, it doesnt even make the beeping noise, leading me to beleive that i may have a fuse blown for the door motor.
Could anyone point me to where the fuse is located for the left side (driver) sliding power door is?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Dealer repairs are typically only warrantied for 12K/I year and any repairs past that period/mileage is at their discretion.

The 2012 & 2013 XLE User Manual indicates, #33 (10A) for right and #16 (25A) for left side sliding doors, in the fuse panel under the driver side knee panel. Check the UM for your year to confirm its the same fuse location & #

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dealer repairs are typically only warrantied for 12K/I year and any repairs past that period/mileage is at their discretion.

The 2012 & 2013 XLE User Manual indicates, #33 (10A) for right and #16 (25A) for left side sliding doors, in the fuse panel under the driver side knee panel. Check the UM for your year to confirm its the same fuse location & #
Thanks!
I have the full (fat one) manual and in fuse section it only describes how to replace fuses but I see no diagram for which fuses go where... strange.
Though after some Google searching I found that mine is also #16 fuse under the steering column just like yours. So thank you

1 - 19 of 19 Posts