Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. New Sienna owner here. I know there is only one USB / Data port on this model. Why, I have no idea. According to the manual you can connect two devices with a two port only splitter. Well, I purchased one and the head unit does not recognize the second port. I plug in my phone to use Android Auto and I want the second port for a USB stick to play music. The head unit defaults to Android Auto for music and does not recognize the music stick.

Has anyone had any success using a two port splitter and if so, please provide some details. For over 50k this seems like a gross oversight by Toyota. Not everyone streams their music..

Thanks for any useful input...

·
Registered
211 Posts
I tried a splitter, no Joy. The last two vehicles I owned had multiple USB data ports. I don't know why Toyota went so cheap with just the one. I moved my music over to Samsung Music, and play it through Android Auto. The head unit is capable of two inputs, but the splitter doesn't get the job done. If anyone can find where the USB inputs are on the head unit, you can probably run a cable from there, but I'm to old and dis-inclined to tear apart my brand new van to look for it.

·
Registered
2022 Sienna Platinum
111 Posts
Hello everyone. New Sienna owner here. I know there is only one USB / Data port on this model. Why, I have no idea. According to the manual you can connect two devices with a two port only splitter. Well, I purchased one and the head unit does not recognize the second port. I plug in my phone to use Android Auto and I want the second port for a USB stick to play music. The head unit defaults to Android Auto for music and does not recognize the music stick.

Has anyone had any success using a two port splitter and if so, please provide some details. For over 50k this seems like a gross oversight by Toyota. Not everyone streams their music..

I just shared this without researching, and saw your thread. I saw that information in the owner's manual also. It is quite an oversight to not be able to utilize the Apple Carplay and play music from an USB source at the same time
Line Font Parallel Rectangle Poster

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you jimmypwilson. If I wanted to use Android Car Play (phone ONLY connects via USB not Bluetooth), the phone holds the priority on splitter, and you can't access your USB for music. It is quite a simplistic system for a vehicle that has some complicated tech. it's very sad.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I just submitted a support ticket on this issue. I'll let you all know their answer.
So I got a response back from Toyota. With what I am sure was zero research, they want me to take my van to a service department to, and I quote "Toyota dealers’ technicians are specialized in the diagnosis and repair of Toyota vehicles. They are provided with extensive training and have access to state of the art equipment to help in the accurate diagnosis of your vehicle. "

I'll lay odds no one there will have a clue. Anyway, I have an appointment set up for Tuesday afternoon, so they can shrug their shoulders and elevate it to a higher level.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Here's the skinny: You can have two USB sticks plugged in, and both will be recognized (I verified this). If however, Android Auto or Apple CarPlay is launched, the 2d USB connection will be terminated. See the following in the Entertainment System users manual:

Font Rectangle Material property Parallel Screenshot
Font Line Rectangle Material property Parallel
Font Rectangle Material property Parallel Screenshot

Not sure if this is due to data throughput requirements, or poor programming, but clearly Toyota went cheap. I hope they add a second USB data port with MY23, but I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you JohnHartshorn. I think they did go "on the cheap" with this one. Too many assumptions that everyone uses Spotify, Pandora, etc to listen to music. I've decided that my music is more important Android Auto and I'll use directions on my phone, just not plugged into the system. Pretty annoying.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Funny they went so cheap on this. I was just looking into the same thing about my wife's '22 Sienna, and I must say I'm disappointed.
FYI - my '22 Honda Insight has 2 data ports standard, AND I can play music from one while running Apply Car Play from the other. Toyota really has some blind spots when it comes to user experience.

And yes, they are both the same model year. Had to replace a vehicle that was a road hazard 6 months after we expanded our fleet due to teenage drivers (who are driving the 3rd vehicle which is 12 years old).

·
Registered
46 Posts
I haven't tried usb playing while my AA is running but i so use AIMP player which is great for the integrated. I also use a motorola m1a for wireless Android auto. I may plug a hub in to test if both usb will work

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks for sharing this information -----
I bought just a new 2022 Sienna 2 weeks before and I would really think about this USB which can not support same-time AA with music play via USB.
Does anyone have any idea that we can utilize simultaneously?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts