Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I’m thinking about purchasing a Toyota 2014 Sienna SE with 125k miles. Second owner who used it for daily commuter to work - majority highway miles (suburban). Says no accidents and services done at Toyota.

It’s priced about $5k under market but there are a ton of things to repair:
  • New tires
  • Chrome on the rims has been peeled off significantly - about 30% - likely due to road salt
  • New brake pads, maybe routers
  • front passenger side CV axle boot leaking
  • spark plug maintanence not done
  • air conditioner not working (not diagnosed)

I’d probably also end up changing the accessory belt, water pump and probably the oil lines (those rubber ones I keep reading about on this forum).

I figure the cost of repairs above, even if done at a mechanic would be decently below $5k. I’m going to get a mechanic to check it out before I go see it (3 hr drive away). The peeling chrome has me worried due to accelerated rust damage in places I can’t see.

Is this way too much to bite off? Anything else to let the mechanic know to look out for?

thanks and happy Easter!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi!

I’m thinking about purchasing a Toyota 2014 Sienna SE with 125k miles. Second owner who used it for daily commuter to work - majority highway miles (suburban). Says no accidents and services done at Toyota.

• New tires
  • Chrome on the rims has been peeled off significantly - about 30% - likely due to road salt

I’d probably also end up changing the accessory belt, water pump and probably the oil lines (those rubber ones I keep reading about on this forum).

I figure the cost of repairs above, even if done at a mechanic would be decently below $5k. I’m going to get a mechanic to check it out before I go see it (3 hr drive away). The peeling chrome has me worried due to accelerated rust damage in places I can’t see.

Is this way too much to bite off? Anything else to let the mechanic know to look out for?

thanks and happy Easter!
What is the actual price?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Eh, sometimes people just want to get rid of their cars and want to offload them at a reduced price for a quick sale. I wouldn't be overly suspicious of the price.

Nothing you mentioned would steer me away at the right price. New brake pads, rotors, and tires are items that need to be done every few years and once it's done, will last you awhile.

I wouldn't be too suspicious of the peeling chrome on the wheels either. I, for one, never wash the wheels of my car. Be sure to inspect the undercarriage for signs of extensive rust when you see it, but I wouldn't necessarily assume that the car will be rusty because of the peeling chrome wheels.

The leaking axle will cost a few hundred to replace, not a big deal.

Spark plugs, due at 120K, aren't a big deal - as long as it's priced into the purchase price.

A/C issues can be expensive, budget ~$1,500 for this in case a few parts need to be replaced.

Accessory belt and water pump are probably a good idea at this mileage. Don't worry about the rubber oil lines - that was on the older Siennas - VVT-i line went to all metal by 2009, and the oil cooler hose went to all metal by 2012. A 2014 model shouldn't have any problematic rubber oil lines.

I would negotiate a lower price, but nothing mentioned would scare me away.

Reactions: honda coaster

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi!

• New tires

thanks and happy Easter!
I paid 10k US for 2011 LE with 90k miles in 2019. A bit high. I have a bit of chrome peeling on the rims no biggie. I changed the oil pressure hoses everything else besides AC is what you would do with any used purchase. I would get it. I love mine and they're getting a bit rare down here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi!

• New tires

thanks and happy Easter!
Watch out for the undiagnosed AC. I have a 2011 Limited AWD with 150K miles that I have owned since new. The AC went out in the Fall of 2019, and since it was the evaporator coil, it was an 11.5 hour job and cost a little over 2K USD at an independent shop. They have to take apart the entire dashboard to get to the evaporator coil.

I have also had 3 out of 4 wheel bearings done, a CV boot and the lower control arms done as well in the past 1.5 years.

The lower control arms are simple on most cars, but not the Sienna because one of the bolts is directly under the engine mount. There is a short cut (several YouTube videos show it) but the book labor time for it is a long time. I wound up paying about $1900 to get them done in January at the same independent shop. They ran into some other issues on the way and it took them the full time anyway.

It is a great car, just beware that you are heading into a timeframe where there will be a number of things that wear out and need to get fixed.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
The lower control arms on my 2004 XLE were the breaking point for me. The repair bills kept getting bigger every year - this year brought a quote of $3k for a batch of needed repairs (including the lower control arms) - that was when I decided it was time to retire the '04.

The suspension repairs are a long, slippery slope once they start. You fix the first thing that breaks, then the next thing in line goes, then the next, and so on.

For me, it came down to reliability of the vehicle vs. how much I really like not having a vehicle payment. I had to bite the bullet and let the old van go so I can rest easy knowing I'm not facing huge repair bills every 6-12 months.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd offer 8k and see what happens, if you have a good mech, meaning cheap, the brakes/rotors, cv, tuneup/plugs should be about 1000, another 1000-1200 for the AC, tire/wheel costs can be low if you want to get a used set on kijiji. personally, i get some winter tires, as you'll need them anyway and put them on the old rims, and buy new rims/rubber if thats important for you. Always check for rust like the the above mentioned. before i purchased my '16 SE, few vids said to check right underside of engine beside right tire for any poss oil leaks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts