Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Apple CarKey does not support Toyotas but connected services appears to work with the Apple Watch app - so can you just leave one of the Sienna keys hidden in the car (so it will start) and lock/unlock using the Apple Watch? I have a ‘22 XLE with push to start button.

searched the forums and did not find a relevant thread, apologies if this has been addressed before.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE
699 Posts
The car will not lock (even from the app) with the fob in the car unless it is either put in sleep mode or hidden well enough that the antennas cannot pick up a signal from the fob. If the antennas cannot pick up the signal, the car also cannot be started until the fob is put where the car can detect it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car will not lock (even from the app) with the fob in the car unless it is either put in sleep mode or hidden well enough that the antennas cannot pick up a signal from the fob. If the antennas cannot pick up the signal, the car also cannot be started until the fob is put where the car can detect it.
Interesting! So basically get a mini faraday cage to put the fob in, then take it out when you want to start the car. This has the added benefit that someone can’t just drive away if they break in, unless they find the box and take the key out.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Way too complicated for something that should be straight forward.
This reminds me when cars push start button and proximity keys started rolling out of assembly lines and the aftermarket world went berserk trying to add a button to start your car.\
It involved putting your regular key into de ignition, switch the car on (but not start it) then push your aftermarket button to start your car.
TBH, I miss the regular key days.
I had my 3rd gen sienna for 10 years........ and never did I ever changed the alarm fob battery. I sold the sienna to a friend and the remote still works as intended with the OEM battery.
My new sienna? 6 months after delivery I had a msg pop up in the dash telling me to replace the battery.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This reminds me when cars push start button and proximity keys started rolling out of assembly lines and the aftermarket world went berserk trying to add a button to start your car.\
It involved putting your regular key into de ignition, switch the car on (but not start it) then push your aftermarket button to start your car.
I had my 3rd gen sienna for 10 years........ and never did I ever changed the alarm fob battery. I sold the sienna to a friend and the remote still works as intended with the OEM battery.
My new sienna? 6 months after delivery I had a msg pop up in the dash telling me to replace the battery.
You’re right, it’s an extra step, but it turns out that the “faraday cage” is just a little zipper bag that costs $10. I checked on Amazon and apparently there’s a ton of these available. One interesting reason they make these is because in the UK there’s a problem with thieves stealing cars by cloning RFID signals and then driving the cars to Eastern Europe- by the time you realize the car is stolen it’s out of the country.

Anyway that little zipper bag should work nicely for my situation - what I’m really trying to do is go out on trail runs and swims without having to carry anything but the Apple Watch.

To your point though, with my 97 Camry it was just a small metal key so I didn’t have to worry about it getting wet…

·
Registered
423 Posts
You’re right, it’s an extra step, but it turns out that the “faraday cage” is just a little zipper bag that costs $10. I checked on Amazon and apparently there’s a ton of these available. One interesting reason they make these is because in the UK there’s a problem with thieves stealing cars by cloning RFID signals and then driving the cars to Eastern Europe- by the time you realize the car is stolen it’s out of the country.

Anyway that little zipper bag should work nicely for my situation - what I’m really trying to do is go out on trail runs and swims without having to carry anything but the Apple Watch.

To your point though, with my 97 Camry it was just a small metal key so I didn’t have to worry about it getting wet…
OR, OR, hear me out
Amazon.com : DRYFOB Waterproof Car Key Container, Case, Holder - for Scuba Diving and Watersports. Rugged Aluminum. Rated to 330ft(100m) : Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com : DRIPAC KP01 Floating Waterproof car Key FOB case Waterproof Wallet Waterproof Holders/Pouches for Earbuds ID Badge Credit Card Money Coins drivers' license Palm Phone(Black) : Sports & Outdoors
there are tons of options for this, I have a hybrid corolla, one time I swam with the fob on my swim gear.... nothing happened....
I see what you want to achieve, but the sienna is not able to do this, yet. Maybe in a newer iteration it will adopt the tech

·
Registered
423 Posts
Also, hypothetically speaking you are relying on toyota connected services to operate all the time with zero downtime. if you put your fob in an RFID cage, the sienna will never know its inside. It will let you lock the van.
let's say that you come back and can't unlock from the watch and the fob is inside.......
also remember that Toyota is years behind technology. this is because they roll out tech when they are certain it will be reliable. soooo theres that.

·
Registered
2014 Sienna LE
568 Posts

One option is to pull the small metal key out of your fob, leave the fob inside, and use the key to lock/unlock your doors, just like your 97 Camry. :)

Or at least have it as a back-up in case something happens to your watch, or it fails to unlock the doors as expected for some reason.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If we’re being honest, what I’m trying to do here is justify the purchase of an Apple Watch, but you guys keep coming up with all these practical viable reasonable alternatives. 😀

fair point about the risk of outages with the connected services, but who doesn’t want BMW reliability to go with the Toyota hybrid driving experience…

thanks for the suggestion to just take the metal key out, I hadn’t realized you could do that! Guess I could put that metal key in a magnetic box under the bumper as a backup… and we’ve come full circle to my 97 Camry setup.

·
Registered
240 Posts
i can honestly not figure out why anyone would want to leave their keys in their car. if someone breaks in, rummages around, finds it, they got your car. your insurance will not cover you if you leave your keys in your car. My insurance for both my 2020 highlander hybrid(personal policy), and my 2021 toyota Sienna(commercial policy) both had requirements for the keys. the insurance company specifically said that if the car is stolen, and I don't have both keys, then its not covered. read your policy. many policies used to have this covered under comprehensive coverage, but due to new keys, the keys no longer need to be in the ignition, so you can't even have the key in the car anymore because its still close enough in most cases for the car to start and drive. my insurance agent also suggested that i make sure they key is at least 20 feet from the vehicle when parked, not in the same room(garage), and not hung up near the door to prevent relay attacks/thefts. new cars are expensive, and extremely easy to steal, insurance companies are more and more denying claims of theft coverage because of careless and/or negligent owners. the keys don't even need to come out of your pocket FFS, my van key hasn't left my pants pocket except to wash my pants. I don't need it to get in, get out, lock the doors, start the car, ect. its literally easier than a regular old keyed ignition.

·
Registered
423 Posts
If we’re being honest, what I’m trying to do here is justify the purchase of an Apple Watch, but you guys keep coming up with all these practical viable reasonable alternatives. 😀

fair point about the risk of outages with the connected services, but who doesn’t want BMW reliability to go with the Toyota hybrid driving experience…

thanks for the suggestion to just take the metal key out, I hadn’t realized you could do that! Guess I could put that metal key in a magnetic box under the bumper as a backup… and we’ve come full circle to my 97 Camry setup.
Ohhhh............... now that you say so, it makes perfect sense! yes, please go that route, to stormleads wife: "He NEEDS the apple watch for the van to operate correctly, if you look closely on the owner's manual it clearly says so... "
Im amazed they let you out of the dealership without an apple watch, you could sue for damages.

·
Registered
44 Posts
the insurance company specifically said that if the car is stolen, and I don't have both keys, then it's not covered. read your policy. many policies used to have this covered under comprehensive coverage,
Interesting on insurance. I have not heard of that. We have had a rash of stolen cars in my area. Cars seem to be stolen when keys are left inside. I had not heard of the insurance limitation. (I think its great).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Both of my Toyotas are too old. Straight up key ignition . Thought it was just fine till I picked up my new Harley. As long as I have the fob in my pocket, just fire up and go. Love it. This is the second Harley I've had that didn't have a kick start... Replace fob battery every year just in case.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts