Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gonna be replacing mine maybe next weekend if weather permits. I bought FELPRO VS50682 which came with other gaskets.
20200824_134033.jpg
Below is where I think these gaskets go. Please confirm or correct if not right.
1. Goes under the valve cover right about where the VVT solenoids are.
2. OCV Filter bolt.
3. Bolt that goes on top middle of valve cover.
4. Idk where these two go. I'm hoping you guys can tell me. I've searched google and watched YouTube videos but didn't see anywhere where they go, unless I missed it.
What's the best way to clean VVT solenoids? Spray it with brake cleaner?
Will also be replacing VVT screens, all 6 spark plugs, Bank 1 ignition coils and #4 in Bank 2 that I haven't done yet. Anything else I should do while in there? Greatly appreciate your input.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I double posted and idk how i did that. Please delete the other one. Thank you.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Currently at 430K miles. Decided to do this today...... just bank 2. I'm debating wether to do bank 1 or not. It needs to be done but looking at it makes me not want to do it. I still don't know where that #4 gasket on my original post goes.
Screenshot_20200903-215233_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200903-215541_Gallery.jpg
I also replaced all spark plugs and bank 1 coils. Plugs have 200K+ miles except #6. That has only 62K miles.
Screenshot_20200903-215255_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200903-215401_Gallery.jpg

New and old comparison.
Going to check driver side cv axle this weekend for the clunking noise when i shift to DRIVE or REVERSE.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did not finish putting everything back together last night so I tried replacing bank 1 valve cover gasket today. Got to the point where I start taking bolts off of the valve cover..... but I did not. Maybe when it's in dire need of replacement, I'll take on the job. I just put everything back together.
I replaced the front brake pads, discs, caliper guide pin bushing and dust cover. Started her up and it sounds real good. Took her for a test drive and she ran great. Got home and put it in PARK and i noticed she was idling high at 1500 RPM. I looked under the hood and there was a vacuum hose i forgot to reconnect.
Will be working on the CV AXLE tomorrow. Maybe I'll find where all the metal shavings in the transmission filter is coming from.
Will also drain and fill transmission fluid and change oil and filter. That's my LABOR DAY weekend project.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Did not finish putting everything back together last night so I tried replacing bank 1 valve cover gasket today. Got to the point where I start taking bolts off of the valve cover..... but I did not. Maybe when it's in dire need of replacement, I'll take on the job. I just put everything back together.
I replaced the front brake pads, discs, caliper guide pin bushing and dust cover. Started her up and it sounds real good. Took her for a test drive and she ran great. Got home and put it in PARK and i noticed she was idling high at 1500 RPM. I looked under the hood and there was a vacuum hose i forgot to reconnect.
Will be working on the CV AXLE tomorrow. Maybe I'll find where all the metal shavings in the transmission filter is coming from.
Will also drain and fill transmission fluid and change oil and filter. That's my LABOR DAY weekend project.
Wish I had a sienna and Prius friens like you to help me out sometimes. Beer and pizza included!

Hope you don't find a huge mess with your cv/transmission!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Driver side cv axle spline is good. So is the inside gear whatever it's called where the axle goes into. I guess the shavings and the clunking is internal unless it's on the passenger side axle.
Drained and filled the transmission and did the oil change while under there. Still wanna check the rear brakes but that'll be it for now.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Update - I decided to tackle Bank 1 valve cover gasket on Friday. It took me about 8 hours and that evening, my WHOLE body was aching. And as I laid there thinking about the whole ordeal, I realized there was one screw I'm positive I forgot to tighten. That long screw on top of the cover between coils 1 and 3. I haven't driven her yet and I didn't get to it yesterday so I will take it apart again today to check that. I'll try to take the intake manifold off without taking the cowl off.
The hardest part was the screws on the back left corner of the cover. There were also wire harness clips there that I end up breaking just because there was no room to pull them off the screw posts. Another hard part was lifting the cover off. To give me room, I disconnected as many connectors as I could and tied the harness to the hood prop rod pulling it up. I also removed wiring harness brackets and disconnected the fuel line.
I had a question in my original post about gasket #4. Looking at this picture, I see now where it goes now.
20201121_212259.jpg
20201120_133401.jpg 20201120_133431.jpg 20201120_133435.jpg
Also, order some sensor and coil connectors. They're brittle and you might break some of them. I did. I know this is obvious but cut wires one at a time and splice. These gaskets better last the life of the Sienna because I'm not doing this again. The aches and pain, and frustrations of dropping tools in the back was too much. Forget about torquing some of the rear screws. There's just no room.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, that bolt was loose alright. Was able to turn it by hand. And yes, i had enough room to access it without removing the cowl.
Turns out, that wasn't the only thing I forgot. As soon as i started the engine, i get knock sensor errors on both banks. I cleared it but came back right away. That connector is right under the throttle body. So i leave for work Monday morning and tried to wipe the condensation off the windshield. Forgot to reconnect the wiper motor too.
Have driven 300+ miles since then and all is good for now.

·
Registered
360 Posts
How bad was bank 1 leaking? I've got 190k miles and lately there is this burning smell when I turn on the A/C. I suspect bank 1 is leaking down near the exhaust and burning off.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Update - I decided to tackle Bank 1 valve cover gasket on Friday. It took me about 8 hours and that evening, my WHOLE body was aching. And as I laid there thinking about the whole ordeal, I realized there was one screw I'm positive I forgot to tighten. That long screw on top of the cover between cylinders 1 and 3. I haven't driven her yet and I didn't get to it yesterday so I will take it apart again today to check that. I'll try to take the intake manifold off without taking the cowl off.
The hardest part was the screws on the back left corner of the cover. There were also wire harness clips there that I end up breaking just because there was no room to pull them off the screw posts. Another hard part was lifting the cover off. To give me room, I disconnected as many connectors as I could and tied the harness to the hood prop rod pulling it up. I also removed wiring harness brackets and disconnected the fuel line.
I had a question in my original post about gasket #4. Looking at this picture, I see now where it goes now.
View attachment 47868
View attachment 47869 View attachment 47870 View attachment 47872
Also, order some sensor and coil connectors. They're brittle and you might break some of them. I did. I know this is obvious but cut wires one at a time and splice. These gaskets better last the life of the Sienna because I'm not doing this again. The aches and pain, and frustrations of dropping tools in the back was too much. Forget about torquing some of the rear screws. There's just no room.
Amazing work! 400k miles is awesome.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How bad was bank 1 leaking? I've got 190k miles and lately there is this burning smell when I turn on the A/C. I suspect bank 1 is leaking down near the exhaust and burning off.
Scroll up to the third post and look at the pic I posted of the old spark plugs. # 1 is pretty dirty with oil. And this pic shows leaks but not too too bad considering the mileage.
20201125_080142.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts