Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found out some disturbing news today about certain model year Toyota / Lexus 3.5l V6.

check out this site http://sites.google.com/site/toyotav6oillinescandal/

Apparently Toyota has used a rubber hose external oil line that fails with time and can cause serious engine damage.
I have not visited SiennaChat for a while as busy with work, but this is worth the time. Has anyone experienced this issue with their Sienna's??

TM

EDIT: corrected typo in title to assist accuracy in future searches, and fixed hyperlink
BY: topspy/Mod-Squad

·
Registered
109 Posts
Re: Varible Valve Timing Oil Line Failures 3.5l V6

I have not experience it, but needless to say I'm now concerned. I don't know where I'd even find this in my '08.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts

This has been going on since 05 in the Avalons & 07 in the siennas

·
Registered
109 Posts

I took a look and I "think" I have the metal oil conduit, rather than a rubber hose.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts

scary :eek: :eek:
Toyota is having a PR nightmare lately....::thumbsdown!!:: :mad: :mad: :mad:

YMMV.
Good Luck!! 8)

·
Registered
347 Posts

My Sienna was built in May 2008, one month after the production switch-over from the problematic rubber oil line to the all metal one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

We have 2 local dealers. I have spoken to one and they have a seen a few oil line failures themselves. They have no updated replacement part available and expect in the near future some kind of recall from Toyota. (Hopefully they are not just blowing hot air) I plan to keep an eye on it and keep in touch with the dealers. Even if Toyota does not relace, I believe it is worth doing it myself or having them do so in the near future. It is far cheaper than an engine. I assume the current 2010 models will have an all metal line that should fit my 2007.

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts

I spoke to my dealer about this. They told me that the campain is now in effect. They have some stock at the dealer. How much they would not say. I am not sure who goes first or IF you have to wait for the notice in the mail. They hinted to me that they did 2 avalons today. The campain is official here in Canada. It may take some time for the dealers to get stock on this line depending on location. As it is a campain there is no charge.

Curious on what is going on in the USA? As far as a time table? My brother owns a US 2008.

·
Registered
617 Posts

Anyone know if the 3.3l has a similar hose/pipe thing?

·
Registered
7 Posts

Not present on 3.3L, just the 3.5L starting with Sienna model year 2007.

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts

wraujr said:
Not present on 3.3L, just the 3.5L starting with Sienna model year 2007.
In other words, this is a feature of the 2GR-FE engine (and perhaps all GR family engines, but the 3.5L 2GR-FE is the one in the Sienna), and not a feature of the 3MZ-FE engine (and therefore presumably not of any MZ family engine, either the 3.0L 1MZ-FE of the first-generation Sienna or the 3.3L 3MZ-FE of the 2004-2006 Sienna).

The 3MZ-FE has VVT-i, but it is not implemented in exactly the same way as the dual VVT-i of the 2GR-FE; these systems use oil pressure to control valvetrain components, and the problematic line is apparently carrying oil for that purpose.

·
Registered
206 Posts

toolman said:
Found out some disturbing news today about certain model year Toyota / Lexus 3.5l V6.

check out this site http://sites.google.com/site/toyotav6oillinescandal/

Apparently Toyota has used a rubber hose external oil line that fails with time and can cause serious engine damage.
I have not visited SiennaChat for a while as busy with work, but this is worth the time. Has anyone experienced this issue with their Sienna's??

TMThanks for valuable info Toolman. This is my first Toyota, and may well be my last in light of nonsense like this. My van has been driving me crazy with squeaks and rattles since the day that I got it in April 08, especially the right slider rattling over bumps. Had this fixed once at the dealer, but the problem has started again with lower Fall temperatures. Been a GM guy since 1986. You'd never know that Toyota is a superior product by me. Now this to worry about! At least I'm still under warranty.

·
Registered
31 Posts

I priced out the oil tube ( 15772-310300 ) in Vancouver, $40.70 CDN before tax. I ordered their last one, will try to replace this weekend. I have 52K miles on my Sienna.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts

If I was to get this replaced with the all metal line what should I ask my local Toyota dealer? Is Toyota covering this issue?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts

It looks like so far it is another "hit-or-miss" in regards to whether or not *YOUR* dealer even knows/acknowledges this being a potential problem....and whether or not they will submit it to Toyota for warranty/"recall" coverage.

This really does STINK when Toyota doesn't do a good job of it, AND fails to get the dealers in line.

YMMV.
Good Luck!! 8)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

On futher discussions with my dealer, they appear to be pretty new to the situation. The service manager spent some time (a couple days) trying to get a reply back from Toyota (I think it was their recall department). My 2007 is with-in the time and date of the recall, but my VIN is way outside the list. The service manager does not know what is going on. Whether they are just doing an initial window of recall or if it was a manufacturing issue for only a certain date. The recall may get expanded in the near futute. And just to make things even better. The VVT oil line is not covered under the power train warrnty. Isn't that a kick in the berries!!!??

I did ask how the line typically fails. The dealer i spoke with said it starts as a small leak and gets worse. As long as you keep an eye on your parking spot and your oil level damage is hopefully unlikely. And i was also told the percentage of failures is very small. I know, I know, it is getting deep. A typical service manager reponse to calm the masses. The gentleman who originally shared this with me, his dealer apparently has seen 2 full ruptures of the line. The replacement from the dealer is the same as the original. It is not all metal.

TM

·
Registered
206 Posts

Went to Scarborough Toyota (Toronto) to ask about this 'campaign'. They do not show anything on their computer about it. Service advisor even showed me his compuker screen. Maybe we are ahead of the 'campaign' curve here.

·
Registered
939 Posts

Just asked about this at the dealership, and was told that the only vehicles affected are the Avalon and the Rav4 with a specific VIN # range. If a vehicle meets the criteria, they will replace a hose clamp on the oil line.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts

I just called the service department at the local Toyota dealership. Told him we have a 2008 Sienna and that I had been reading about the VVT oil line issue. He said 'uh-huh' in a way that told me he knew what I was referring to. I asked him if they would replace the oil line under warranty with an all metal version. He then asked me if I had received a recall letter. No I replied, we are not the original owners, so I don't know if I would have received one. He then asked me if the car had been into their shop before. Again, I replied no. He then asked for the VIN which I gave him. Brief pause then he said there are no campaigns open for our car so we are in the clear.

Looking at the oil line in question on our 2008 LE, it definitely has the rubber section, with AT OIL written on the section of hose visible. There is absolutely no evidence of oil seeping or leaking, I looked carefully. After reading the links provided regarding this issue (primarily with RAV4 and Avalon) I was very alarmed to say the least. After actually inspecting the line on our van I am not so alarmed. Firstly, it looks to be safe and sound. Secondly, and most importantly, it looks to be a fairly easy job to replace the line with an all metal version. I did a quick search and the 'net reveals a 15772-31030 for less than $30 shipped to me. Washers are not expensive.

So, rather than get in a heat about this, I have decided to relax and not worry. I will order the necessary parts and on an upcoming weekend perform the elective oil line replacement.

I know it is a valid argument that Toyota should own up to this issue and simply fix the darn cars. But I am not interested in a protracted argument with a dealer's service department, etc when I can do the fix myself inexpensively and thereby know it was done right.

To those who feel that Toyota should fix these cars at their cost, I wish you the best of luck and I sincerely hope Toyota steps up and does the right thing.

It's a nice sunny cold day, I'm going to go outside and and rake some leaves,

Peace

Scott

1 - 20 of 112 Posts