Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure if anyone already shared this info, but Consumer Reports have some nice info for new buyers to check based on VIN if your new Sienna has had the TSB brake correction applied at factory.

"Toyota issued a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) to rectify the problem for existing customers. We had the fix applied to our Sienna and it made a marked difference in brake pedal feel. New FWD Siennas with VIN numbers ending in digits higher than 7900, and AWD Siennas with VIN numbers ending with higher than 4800 should have the improved pedal."

My guess its mostly for the first batch of Siennas, but probably worth checking and if applicable get the TSB done on your new Sienna.

Best

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
243 Posts
Thanks for Sharing! Someone here had gotten this TSB and had been to the Toyota dealer. I didn't have it on ours. This explains why. Ours ends in 6447. I think our brakes are still a little bit fuzzy. Just to be clear, there is nothing to worry or complain, just that there is definitely room for improvements.

·
Registered
150 Posts
What was the issue with brake pedals?
TSB Number:
T-SB-0006-21
NHTSA Number:
TSB Date:
February 1, 2021
Date Added to File:
March 15, 2021
Failing Component:
Brakes (Pws)
Summary:
TSB: some customers may notice an abnormal brake feel in their 2021 model year sienna hybrid vehicle that could be described as a longer than usual brake pedal stroke. This may occur when the engine is off for more than five minutes

·
Registered
274 Posts
Are the brakes breaking?

I saw the title and was trying to figure out how new Siennas were breaking TSBs.

Evidently, the TSBs are not broken, but there is something wrong with the BRAKES, you know, those things that stop the vehicle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Are the brakes breaking?

I saw the title and was trying to figure out how new Siennas were breaking TSBs.

Evidently, the TSBs are not broken, but there is something wrong with the BRAKES, you know, those things that stop the vehicle.

oops typos. sorry, major brain fart

·
Registered
199 Posts
TSB Number:
T-SB-0006-21
NHTSA Number:
TSB Date:
February 1, 2021
Date Added to File:
March 15, 2021
Failing Component:
Brakes (Pws)
Summary:
TSB: some customers may notice an abnormal brake feel in their 2021 model year sienna hybrid vehicle that could be described as a longer than usual brake pedal stroke. This may occur when the engine is off for more than five minutes
The build date for my XLE+ with FWD was February 4th and the final digits of the VIN are less than 7900 so it apparently preceded the TSB. However, I have not experienced any problem with the brakes and have not noticed a longer pedal stroke after the engine has been idle for 5 hours.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE
24 Posts
The build date for my XLE+ with FWD was February 4th and the final digits of the VIN are less than 7900 so it apparently preceded the TSB. However, I have not experienced any problem with the brakes and have not noticed a longer pedal stroke after the engine has been idle for 5 hours.
I think they mean that the last 6 digits of the VIN are lower than 007900 or 004800 respectively. With a February 4th build date, I would guess your VIN is higher than these numbers.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I think they mean that the last 6 digits of the VIN are lower than 007900 or 004800 respectively. With a February 4th build date, I would guess your VIN is higher than these numbers.
That makes sense. At the end of March they had sold a total of almost 36,000 2021 Sienna hybrids including those sold in 2020.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mine has to be an early build. I haven't really noticed a problem with brake feel except several times where the brakes reacted like I let off the pedal when I hadn't. It was a feeling like the brakes went out for a fraction of a second then they were back. It was enough to get my attention and raise the blood pressure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts