Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2021 LE AWD Silver
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

My wife and I are new to owning a new car, and this question definitely falls under that rubric.

Does anyone know, if I were to complete my own oil change on our '21 Sienna, would that void any warranties?

Our dealer will service our car for the first two years, but I am thinking of just doing it myself, as it would be just as fast if not faster, plus there's the convenience of being on our schedule rather than the dealer's.

·
Premium Member
2021 XLE Plus Gray
864 Posts
Hey all,

My wife and I are new to owning a new car, and this question definitely falls under that rubric.

Does anyone know, if I were to complete my own oil change on our '21 Sienna, would that void any warranties?

Our dealer will service our car for the first two years, but I am thinking of just doing it myself, as it would be just as fast if not faster, plus there's the convenience of being on our schedule rather than the dealer's.
No problem with your warranty if you change the oil.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have been taking a phone pic of the receipts, the oil containers and the toyota filter box and uploading them to a safe place.

·
Registered
191 Posts
You can service your own car and keep the warranty. According to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act, which is enforced by the Federal Trade Commission, it’s illegal for manufacturers or dealers to void your warranty or deny you coverage because you performed the work yourself.
from https://blog.protectmycar.com/can-you-service-your-own-car-and-keep-the-warranty

You can read more at other sources, including
As others noted, you'd want to keep good records of who did what when (date and mileage) and with what parts.

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD PP Celestial Silver Metallic
135 Posts
If you have a local reliable Toyota dealer that you trust, the 2 years of free service looks at more than just oil changes, and I like the idea of a professional checking the whole car over when possible. Heck, you can barely even get under one of these without a lift even if you do know what you are looking at. That oil isn't cheap these days, and by the time you dispose of the old oil properly...Just my 2 cents worth...
(Add to that I'm getting lazy in my old age...)

·
Registered
2021 LE AWD Silver
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I've completed the oil change, made sure to take pictures of the oil and oil filter I used. Thanks to all for the advice.

Now, I'm debating whether I want to put the Fumoto oil bolt valve on it, to make future oil changes faster:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Well, I've completed the oil change, made sure to take pictures of the oil and oil filter I used. Thanks to all for the advice.

Now, I'm debating whether I want to put the Fumoto oil bolt valve on it, to make future oil changes faster:

I might consider one of these after my free toyota oil changes. This really thin oil should have no problem draining out.

·
Registered
2021 LE AWD Silver
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I might consider one of these after my free toyota oil changes. This really thin oil should have no problem draining out.
Yeah, from what I can see, this doesn't have a much bigger profile than the factory bolt, plus, the valve is on the side. I saw another bolt valve where you pushed the end up, which released the valve and let the oil flow. In my mind, that's just asking for trouble if you go over a bump and the end gets knocked, causing the valve to open.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Where would the fun be of getting oil on your hands, fishing the plug out out the drain pan, etc? I may look into one of these;-)

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have had the Fumoto valve on all my vehicles, swapped with the bolt, on my first DIY oil change, never had an issue. Toyota uses it in the JDM on some of its vehicles.
Have been running it on my 3rd Gen Sienna for 6+ years now, no issues. Makes any diy oil change a mess free experience.

If you decide to do it, install the valve on a cold engine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts