Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week my husband was driving my 08 Sienna and it started making a knocking sound in the engine. We took it into the shop and found that the vvti hose had failed and drained the oil tank. The mechanic found out about the recall and we had the van towed to the local dealer. The dealer replaced the valve and sent us on our way. When I asked about possible engine damage they assured me they was none. My question is, how can we be sure? The dealer assured me that they checked the engine, but could not tell me what they did to ensure there was no damage. From what I have read, the engine only clicks when it has no oil - and it had been clicking for about 10 miles before we got it to the mechanic. With no oil for 10 miles, would there be engine damage that we should watch out for?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Last week my husband was driving my 08 Sienna and it started making a knocking sound in the engine. We took it into the shop and found that the vvti hose had failed and drained the oil tank. The mechanic found out about the recall and we had the van towed to the local dealer. The dealer replaced the valve and sent us on our way. When I asked about possible engine damage they assured me they was none. My question is, how can we be sure? The dealer assured me that they checked the engine, but could not tell me what they did to ensure there was no damage. From what I have read, the engine only clicks when it has no oil - and it had been clicking for about 10 miles before we got it to the mechanic. With no oil for 10 miles, would there be engine damage that we should watch out for?
10 miles?!? Was there an oil light or any other on dash warning?

They couldn't tell you because they probably didn't check it following any specific procedure. Probably just fixed the hose, filled it up with oil, then started it up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was no oil light or dash warning of any type. When I asked the dealer why there was no warning light for having lost all oil, they told me that with the vvti failure, the warning light doesn't always come on and that all the warning we needed was the engine clicking noise.

·
Registered
347 Posts
There was no oil light or dash warning of any type
This is a major complaint from people who have had this hose rupture. For some reason, the low oil pressure light doesn't come on in the dash (as it should!) when this hose blows and drains most of the oil from the engine. As for possible engine damage, yes, your engine experienced highly accelerated wear while being driven 10 miles (or more) with no engine oil. How much accelerated wear? Hard to say for sure.

When I asked the dealer why there was no warning light for having lost all oil, they told me that... all the warning we needed was the engine clicking noise.
Did the dealer manage to keep a straight face while saying this? If an engine loses all of its oil, more warning is needed (IMO) than just the grinding and groaning noises of the engine running with no oil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts