Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
I got extremely lucky, I live in Ontario, Canada, placed the order in mid February 2022, for a Sienna XSE with Technology Package.
I was told the wait time was 6-8 months, totally fine with it. But in early April, salesperson called me someone ordered an exactly same model but decided to not continue with the order, so asked me if I still want it.
I took the delivery in late April, and really enjoyed it so far.
Can you please let me know who/where the dealer?

· Registered
37 Posts
Lol. They are definitely giving you an imaginary timeline. There's no way they know that far in advance with their supply issues right now.
No that sounds about right. All the folks who ordered have been told whether they'll receive a 22 or a 23. So he probably is receiving a 22 model. I was just told of the migration today from 22 to 23. Doesn't mean I know when I'll get the 23, but yeah.

· Registered
37 Posts
That's wild. I emailed them last week and haven't heard anything yet. I was told I was #2 on the list for a fwd LE in June, but havent heard anything since then. Jerry didn't respond to my email in July. I wonder if he replies in August... Or if just email his boss again after.
This isn't just Heffner. I have an order with Oakville Toyota as well as ancaster toyota.

Oakville is horrendous when it comes to communicating updates. Have to call them multiple times to hear anything.

Ancaster on the other hand is super prompt.

I guess every Toyota dealer knows they have you by the balls. They don't care whether you're happy with them or not.

· Registered
37 Posts
Mark ups are here to top up all the waiting time. I managed to get in touch with a GTA dealer who was getting an unallocated sienna LE (basically the guy who booked it had his finance plan rejected). The dealer was asking for 10k in dealer option garbage. Rust protection, ceramic coating, etc. All of it was utter nonsense.

This was bringing up the cost of an LE to almost the xse + tech package. Ridiculous times.

· Registered
37 Posts
I am seeing that too, especially multiple airport taxis using the new Siennas. At this point, I hope the price bubble pops..it makes no economic sense. I got a call from a Toyota dealer. They are selling a brand new xle (50 kilometers driven) for 76000 dollars. Vs. a 45k msrp. Those dealers are minting money. Right now this feels like the housing market during March 2022. I hope less and less folks fall for this. A year from now wit high interest rates, they're going to feel very very foolish. A 40k car bought for 70k. Just buy an old caravan instead and use it for a year. No practical reason it HAS to be a Sienna that you have to drive. Especially with the drop in fuel prices.

Sorry, long rant.

· Registered
37 Posts
Very well said.

This will eventually turn just like housing market.
If can wait to buy a vehicle then do so or get interim vehicle to tide you over BUT for some people they need right now.
Agreed. IMHO the Pacifica/odyssey/carnival are way better deals and plusher rides, except for the crappy mileage. Especially the Pacifica gas version (hybrid has reliability issues). If you're going to pay market adjustments of anything more than 5k on the Sienna, you're bleeding money that you might have otherwise saved on gas.

· Registered
37 Posts
I do a regular sweep of Sienna's available even in far off dealerships. Today I contacted one such dealer, quite far away, which showed up in cargurus. Guy said he might have one available in a couple of months. Very very minimal add on to the MSRP.

After a day, he got back to me saying that the dealership would rather keep it within the town, apparently folks are exporting Sienna's to China. They wont sell it to out of town folks because of that.

Pity. The guy I spoke with was super nice about it though.

· Registered
37 Posts
Tell him you'll sign an agreement not to sell for one year or finance it. If do latter just pay off when want as long as no penalty.
Tried that. Even offered to lease instead of finance, for a one year term. Unfortunately, no. They need to sell it inside of their city.

Tbh, I appreciate this more than the price gouging I see in GTA.. they're at least being honest about the whole thing. In GTA the dealers are looking to make 10k off a family minivan.. not even a luxury car.

· Registered
37 Posts
Maybe everyone should hold off and not take their orders. The dealers will be stuck with inventory and will need to apply discounts :)
Whenever possible, do call out price gouging dealerships over here. I understand for used cars, as the sellers too want the extra $. But for brand new, if someone marks up, let it be known. There has to be some consequence after this madness ends.

· Registered
37 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you and Ive been waiting about the same amount of time for an XSE.
I get no response to email or even phone calls to the sales manager. The salesman is a ghost too.
I only get anywhere when I stop into the dealership, which I did back in August. I was told in early August I'm next for an XSE. Then I see 2 XSE's on my dealer's website. After emails/calls and a runaround, someone else called me back to tell me that the 2 XSE's were employee orders.... hmm... sure...
But I have really no leverage and must wait patiently
I have heard this a lot. Currently salespeople have zero incentive to be nice to you. Folks are begging them for a car. And they have the power to allocate the car to someone who pays a markup.

I currently have orders with two dealerships. One of them tried to sneak in a markup in the invoice. I know they'll fool around if they get a chance. The other one flat out refused (said it's totally unethical and will never do it) when I suggested I'll pay a markup. It all depends.

If you want great service, go to Chrysler, lol. It was a day and night difference. Those guys want to sell their pacificas.

· Registered
37 Posts
GTA wait times are a bit better than that from what we've seen. Still, unfortunately you ordered after things started getting really bad, so yes, likely you've got a bit of a wait yet.
What are you being told for wait time for Odyssey? I heard Honda inventories were in bad shape too.
They are definitely better. You get it in like 6 months if you place an order now.. but, what's better is you have cancelled orders at dealers and they don't do market adjustments. I actually managed to find a black edition Odyssey (it's like platinum in Toyota).. but not sure if I want to spend that much for a minivan..

Odyssey used prices are actually much more sensible.. you won't find a 45k MSRP selling for 65k.. that's what folks are doing for Sienna which is absolutely insane

Kia folks are still doing market adjustments.

· Registered
37 Posts
Quick update, may or may not help you folks here.

To understand the real situation, I have called multiple Honda dealerships. 5 out of 10 dealerships have a Honda Odyssey available immediately on the lot (if you don't care about the trim and color) or in the near future, by November or latest December (at least they tell you when you're getting your car!!!?). Most of them do not ask for any markups, or very small mark ups if at all.

For 100km driven, you save like 3 to 4$ on a Sienna vs. a Odyssey. So annually, for a guy like me who drives 10k kilometers, it's like 1k$. And for 50k$, the EX-l version of the Odyssey is super well loaded compared to the xse non tech package ( same price).

I see literally no reason to be desperate for a Sienna anymore or pay a cent in markups to those greedy dealers.

I still want a Sienna. I'll probably wait a couple of more months..else just go for an Odyssey. It's just as solid and a way better drive.

· Registered
37 Posts
I think Odyssy is averaging 12L/100km and 7L/100km for the sienna, that’s 5L different per 100km.

if you drive 10,000km per year that’s an extra 500L for the odyssey, that’s $750-$1,000 extra per yr

this is why it’s hard for me to not wanting the sienn, and more so for those who drive 20k km a year
Sure, I maybe off a little on the fuel calculation, but not by that much. And I'm a mainly highway commuter, not stop and go. Might work differently for me. But all said , doesn't justify the insane desperation and paying "market adjustments" which will negate any fuel savings

· Registered
37 Posts
Totally agree. I think some folks are a tad OCD on the fuel saving issue, as if nothing else matters. If you drive 8-10K per year, will switch vehicles every 3-5 years, do mostly highway driving, it may not matter that the Odyssey sucks more gas, especially if you consider the the ridiculous mark-ups (which wipes out any potential fuel savings anyways) and unreal wait-times for the Sienna. I am not crazy about the Odyssey because it is woefully outdated in the tech and driving aids/safety features, no justification to spend $55K plus taxes on an outdated car in 2022.

I am still considering the Sienna but maybe in a couple of years when they put TSS 3.0 and the new modern infortainment display on it, the wait times is more realistic and no pressure to pay mark-ups out of desperation, meanwhile, I ordered a 2023 Palisade Calligraphy with the plan to trade it in a couple of years..
Actually, the EX-l trim on the Odyssey is as good as the xse + tech on the Sienna. And with a significant price reduction. It has every single safety feature the Sienna has. Shame that the parking sensor on Sienna is available only on xse tech or above.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts