Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
221 - 235 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Nope, I actually visited another dealership and tried, but they didn't allow me to put another order, even use my wife's name(as we are in the same household). The truth behind this is they are worrying if I want to put an order and sell the car to China. So they have stated if I want to do so, I have to cancel my first order and start from the end of the line. So meaningless to do that. All the dealers here in NS belong to the same region distributor from what I heard. Or maybe I have been fooled.
Yeah, unfortunate that some people/dealerships sell outside their sales region.

Hope get soon :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
From what I was told, Toyota is building FWD because that's what they have parts to. Also demand is not nearly as high for FWD. You're highly unlikely to walk into a Toyota dealership and ask if they have any AWD models that aren't sold. I think everywhere has high demand for AWD. IMO given the choice, I think every Canadian Sienna buyer would choose AWD. But it depends if you can wait for one to come in.
I have a good way of doing this. I will set a global filter on my phone and pc for 'Sienna' and cancel everything subscribed with Sienna. Then pretend I haven't ordered one. Then once it comes I can consider it as a surprise.
I've done this before while waiting for my GPU.

·
Registered
197 Posts
From what I was told, Toyota is building FWD because that's what they have parts to. Also demand is not nearly as high for FWD. You're highly unlikely to walk into a Toyota dealership and ask if they have any AWD models that aren't sold. I think everywhere has high demand for AWD. IMO given the choice, I think every Canadian Sienna buyer would choose AWD. But it depends if you can wait for one to come in.
We actually had choice between FWD and AWD and chose FWD.

The marketing behind AWD is tremendous... sell higher priced vehicles.

Most urban Canadian drivers [like > 90%] would be fine with FWD and good all weather or winters. If live in country or have unpaved/unplowed roads then perhaps AWD but then is a minivan really the best choice?

Until recent move to SUVs most vehicles sold were sedans [and minivans popular as well] that had FWD. The AWD on many vehicles is not even full time and helps you to go but turning and stopping relies on tires.

·
Registered
24 Posts

Most urban Canadian drivers [like > 90%] would be fine with FWD and good all weather or winters. If live in country or have unpaved/unplowed roads then perhaps AWD but then is a minivan really the best choice?

Until recent move to SUVs most vehicles sold were sedans [and minivans popular as well] that had FWD. The AWD on many vehicles is not even full time and helps you to go but turning and stopping relies on tires.
Male sense for sure. If I have the choice again I may also choose the FWD. But as I'm in the line since last Sep I just don't want to lose my position and start over again. So I have to suffer this.

·
Registered
184 Posts

You don't need AWD until you do need AWD.

I agree with you on stopping, a true set of winter tires is a must. However, if you need to get yourself out of a sticky situation from a dig or turning, it's hard to beat AWD.

I've had RWD, FWD and AWD vehicles. Never buying another vehicle without AWD. Even though this Sienna AWD is just a part-time AWD, it's probably good enough to get out of trouble. My main gripe with AWD was always the fuel economy, but this Sienna basically makes it a non-issue.

Male sense for sure. If I have the choice again I may also choose the FWD. But as I'm in the line since last Sep I just don't want to lose my position and start over again. So I have to suffer this.
September isn't that long of a wait. Others have been waiting even longer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ordered a Ruby Pearl red Limited AWD in early October. Salesperson said that it would probably arrive in February, but she said to stay flexible.

I got an email from the sales rep right before Christmas saying that the Sienna would arrive at the end of January. I then received another email late last week, saying that the arrival has been pushed back to early February. This is apparently due to COVID reducing the workforce, hence delaying the building of cars. So in reality, who knows? I have a feeling it will arrive by March.

Good luck everyone:)

TMVFR

·
Registered
184 Posts
I was also told that the Sienna would arrive by August when I ordered in June. It's mid January and still no news. Lol.

I guess this is more like a sienna waiting room thread now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was also told that the Sienna would arrive by August when I ordered in June. It's mid January and still no news. Lol.

I guess this is more like a sienna waiting room thread now.
Wow if you ordered in June and you are in the waiting room. Then I guess I'm in the line outside and waiting to enter the waiting room lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
You don't need AWD until you do need AWD.

I agree with you on stopping, a true set of winter tires is a must. However, if you need to get yourself out of a sticky situation from a dig or turning, it's hard to beat AWD.

I've had RWD, FWD and AWD vehicles. Never buying another vehicle without AWD. Even though this Sienna AWD is just a part-time AWD, it's probably good enough to get out of trouble. My main gripe with AWD was always the fuel economy, but this Sienna basically makes it a non-issue.

September isn't that long of a wait. Others have been waiting even longer.
Bluetroll is correct. IMO, if you are in Canada, you must have at least one car that is both AWD with winter tires.
SUVs are good too, arguably SUVs have better wheel clearance. But that doesn't get you out of sticky situations like an AWD would - as per bluetroll.
You might have more than enough space to get over the hump of snow, but what good is that if your car won't even move.

I too, have owned RWD, FWD, and AWD. The reason for me going for AWD XSE is the exact same reason as bluetroll. The fuel economy on the hybrid makes it a no-brainer. Why wouldn't you go for AWD. It's something that it's better to have than not have (albeit part-time).

I'm really glad more and more people are chiming in. I thought I was crazy. The reason I've been paying more attention to this lately is because I've been seeing more and more new Siennas on the road. I'm guessing the lucky owners that are driving one now must've placed their orders way back when the vehicle was first released. I also noticed that a lot of those that are still waiting, placed their order in June 2021 and onwards (July, August, etc.).

·
Registered
197 Posts
Bluetroll is correct. IMO, if you are in Canada, you must have at least one car that is both AWD with winter tires.
SUVs are good too, arguably SUVs have better wheel clearance. But that doesn't get you out of sticky situations like an AWD would - as per bluetroll.
You might have more than enough space to get over the hump of snow, but what good is that if your car won't even move.

I too, have owned RWD, FWD, and AWD. The reason for me going for AWD XSE is the exact same reason as bluetroll. The fuel economy on the hybrid makes it a no-brainer. Why wouldn't you go for AWD. It's something that it's better to have than not have (albeit part-time).

I'm really glad more and more people are chiming in. I thought I was crazy. The reason I've been paying more attention to this lately is because I've been seeing more and more new Siennas on the road. I'm guessing the lucky owners that are driving one now must've placed their orders way back when the vehicle was first released. I also noticed that a lot of those that are still waiting, placed their order in June 2021 and onwards (July, August, etc.).
* Off Topic *

We are all entitled to our opinions, imho it is marketing hype has many people jumping on AWD bandwagon.

Discussing this with my dad and his response was that he grew up with RWD and then FWD in snow belt part of Canada.

With proper tires and proper driving he's never needed AWD and neither have I. For us this makes sense as we drive in urban areas. The number of people I have see skid off the road with AWD is staggering.

For country dwellers or poor snow clearing areas AWD is an option.

We will agree to disagree that need at least one AWD vehice in Canada.

Now back to thread and wow... Really glad was able to get our LE FWD in matter of weeks... more luck then anything I did but such is vehicle buying nowadays.

·
Registered
184 Posts
* Off Topic *

We are all entitled to our opinions, imho it is marketing hype has many people jumping on AWD bandwagon.

Discussing this with my dad and his response was that he grew up with RWD and then FWD in snow belt part of Canada.

With proper tires and proper driving he's never needed AWD and neither have I. For us this makes sense as we drive in urban areas. The number of people I have see skid off the road with AWD is staggering.

For country dwellers or poor snow clearing areas AWD is an option.

We will agree to disagree that need at least one AWD vehice in Canada.

Now back to thread and wow... Really glad was able to get our LE FWD in matter of weeks... more luck then anything I did but such is vehicle buying nowadays.
My dad also used to say the same thing. Guess what? His last car was awd and his current Audi is also awd. Sometimes just because you did things before and were ok doesn't mean it's safer. Ppl use to not wear seatbelts or not use car seats, just because they didn't die doesn't mean it's smart though.

I will agree though. FWD is better than RWD. FWD with a LSD is even better. My old civic si used to be great through the snow.

If you've ever get a chance to drive a true awd, like higher end Honda's and Subaru's you'll get it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So I spoke to my salesman earlier, and he told me that there's a customer on their waitlist STILL that ordered in January 2021 for a XSE AWD no tech package - 1 year now. I put my deposit down at the beginning of June, and i'm #10 on the waitlist. That said, he told me that the orders are not sequentially filled, because it really depends on what van shows up at their doorstep and if it meets the customers preference. So, if the 9 ahead of me did not order their van in Grey, I could potentially be next to receive one. I'm really hoping the guy waiting the year ordered something like Red or Blurple that isn't as popular lol.

That said, the chances are low that i'll get one anytime soon because my buddy who works at that same dealership as a tech told me that they only received one van in the last month. I think YMMV because i would assume toyota would allocate more vans to the center of the earth instead of a smaller market like BC or other provinces.

·
Registered
184 Posts
So I spoke to my salesman earlier, and he told me that there's a customer on their waitlist STILL that ordered in January 2021 for a XSE AWD no tech package - 1 year now. I put my deposit down at the beginning of June, and i'm #10 on the waitlist. That said, he told me that the orders are not sequentially filled, because it really depends on what van shows up at their doorstep and if it meets the customers preference. So, if the 9 ahead of me did not order their van in Grey, I could potentially be next to receive one. I'm really hoping the guy waiting the year ordered something like Red or Blurple that isn't as popular lol.

That said, the chances are low that i'll get one anytime soon because my buddy who works at that same dealership as a tech told me that they only received one van in the last month. I think YMMV because i would assume toyota would allocate more vans to the center of the earth instead of a smaller market like BC or other provinces.
hope we're all ready for even more delays with the trucker shortage as soon as this mandatory vaccine for border entry passes this weekend.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I put my order in on my Sienna XSE AWD white NON TECH on Oct 25 2021,
called my sales guy and he checked to see if there were any updates, our name is not on the
allocated march batch...but he said things can change weekly so just to call back
and check for updates.

221 - 235 of 235 Posts