Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago, I created a new Gmail address for the sole purpose of registering for this forum.
I have not used this address for any other communication.
In the last week, I have received nearly a dozen spam messages from parties that I have never dealt with.
It appears to me that our forum was hacked or the forum administrator has given or sold our addresses to a 3rd. party.

·
Super Moderator
4,906 Posts
Good question. I certainly can't see your profile and registration information as a moderator. Staff can, so there might be someone who leaked some data.

I can see from your IP address that you appear to have two registrations on the forum (Valleyfield1 and valleyfield), but that's about it. Running a trace on your IP address(s) does yield some data, but I can't see your email address. Perhaps someone more skilled could?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good question. I certainly can't see your profile and registration information as a moderator. Staff can, so there might be someone who leaked some data.

I can see from your IP address that you appear to have two registrations on the forum (Valleyfield1 and valleyfield), but that's about it. Running a trace on your IP address(s) does yield some data, but I can't see your email address. Perhaps someone more skilled could?
I was away from home and did not have my password for my Valleyfield profile and I wanted to reply quickly to another forum member’s question, so I created a second new profile (valleyfield1) but since my normal ISP email address was already assigned to the original profile, I had to provide a new address (gmail) so that I could activate the second profile.
Then when I suddenly started getting spam at the gmail address, I could only conclude that my gmail address had been gleaned from this site, as I wasn’t using this gmail address on any other websites or for correspondence with any of my usual contacts.
I sent a message privately to one of the spammers (Georgia-Pacific consumer products promotion) asking if the spam message was a phishing attempt or was really from them. I also asked why would they be stealing email addresses or buying stolen email addresses from dubious sources given the privacy policy stated on the G-P website.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts