Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my 2021 xse for almost 2 years now and have roughly 28k miles
I’ve been chasing some moldy/musty smell i the cabin for last couple of months.
I could not find anything leaking into the cabin until a month ago when after a heavy rain my trunk carpet would get soaked.

We had some moderate rain in the last two days and sure enough the trunk got wet again.

Everything forward from the trunk is dry. I don't suspect sunroof leaks. Dealer checked sunroof drains two months ago as well as ac drains. And they were all clean.

I dropped the car off at the deler today so we will see in a bit what they find.

I suspect either the tailgate weatherstripping (even though int looks intact) one of the tialight seals/gaskets or maybee quarter panel glass is leaking.

Anybody else having similar issues?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not your exact problem but other's experiences dealing with dealers who "couldn't replicate the problem" might be useful: 2021 Sienna… Water leaking into van through light fixture
Yup I have seen this.

Service rep called me today and said that the tailgate gasket/weatherstripping failed. He did not specify where exactly but he said they did a water test and found a leak.
No eta on the parts tho. May be tomorrow may be two month from now :oops:

I am quite amazed how shitty the fit and finish of these Toyotas are. Damn my 1994 camry xle was much better. Even the econobox honda fit that I had was assembled better than sienna.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So i got a call from service today that my sienna is ready.
I went to pick it up just to find that the whole trunk is still soaked with water

Sienna water in the trunk.

I left the car at dealersip and asked for the new carpet and underlayment/ insulation because this one smells like mold.
They said they will dry it and spray some mold killer. Becouse they cant replace the carpet without corporate approval. What a bag of crap.

When i asked if they did a water test they said they they did and it was not leaking yet they could not tell me why there is still water in the trunk.

They had car for 3 weeks. I guess that is enough time to get it dry.
What a BS it is.
They said it will be ready by Friday.
Ill make sure to elevate the issue to the service manager level and get some responses from the corporate. I guess i might need to start a bit of a shitstorm the get the proper response from them.

·
Registered
2020 Sienna LE
375 Posts
Wow, thats a shit load of water. Yup, I would be pissed if I were you too.
It might take some time and more pushing on your part, but I would bet they will eventually get you a new carpet. More importantly thought is they need to find the source of the leak first, or getting a new carpet now would be a waste.
Keep posting back how you make out.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
So i got a call from service today that my sienna is ready.
I went to pick it up just to find that the whole trunk is still soaked with water

Sienna water in the trunk.

I left the car at dealersip and asked for the new carpet and underlayment/ insulation because this one smells like mold.
They said they will dry it and spray some mold killer. Becouse they cant replace the carpet without corporate approval. What a bag of crap.

When i asked if they did a water test they said they they did and it was not leaking yet they could not tell me why there is still water in the trunk.

They had car for 3 weeks. I guess that is enough time to get it dry.
What a BS it is.
They said it will be ready by Friday.
Ill make sure to elevate the issue to the service manager level and get some responses from the corporate. I guess i might need to start a bit of a shitstorm the get the proper response from them.
Beyond logic how they can call to pick up AND
1. not have found source [can't be what they said since still water or was repair done wrong?] or
2. checked if any water there.

Have you considered going to another dealership?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you considered going to another dealership?

I am definitely will be going to a different dealership from now on.

I am waiting for them to get it dry and retest. Once they complete the work I will make sure to inspect it and test it myself. If it still leaking i will take it to a another dealer to see if they can help.

I already contacted corporate and they should contact me today. Stay tuned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts