Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! One of the things on our new to us 2012 Sienna XLE is the weatherstripping piece on the lower part of the windshield on the passenger side is ripped or rotted or something like that and is falling apart. What is this piece and is it easy to order and fix?

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
A photo would be nice. If you are talking about the large black plastic cowl panel that stretches across the vehicle below the windshield it is part number 55708-08040 which retails for $432.13. Google the part number for prices including the used one on eBay for around $80.

Replacing this panel should be easy after removing the wiper arms. The guy who replaced my windshield in my driveway recently had it off in maybe a minute.

If the part you are referring to is the separate weatherstripping just above the cowl panel, I don't see it listed separately. The parts diagrams show it and the lower weatherstripping being included with a new cowl panel.

If in doubt about which part it is, visit your local Toyota parts department for clarification or give us more information such as a photo.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about the photo thing after I posted. I’ll get one this evening when I get home. The sales guy told me superglue it back to the frame but I would rather replace it.

Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just took a look at a picture with that part number from a link on amazon an I believe it’s the rubber piece on the side of that part that I need. I’ll get a pic tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
The photo helps a lot!

I think it is the "SEAL, FRONT FENDER TO COWL SIDE, RH" part number 53866-08020 but by all means verify that it is what you need.

I got this information from toyodiy.com which has part numbers and official Toyota diagrams for all vehicles manufactured and sold by Toyota worldwide since 1967. Registration is required in order to view the diagrams. I registered many years ago and don't know if they are currently accepting new users. TMC attempted to shut them down several years ago and new users were not accepted then.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the part ordered for $28 which includes shipping. I just hope it will be easy to replace. Thank you for the help!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,340 Posts
I may be ordering one too soon for my 2015. The drivers side fits fine, the passengers side is starting to look like yours! Right now it's held in place by RTV.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had to massage it in place but I got it on there. I had to really press it against the hood cable to get those tabs in the holes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A photo would be nice. If you are talking about the large black plastic cowl panel that stretches across the vehicle below the windshield it is part number 55708-08040 which retails for $432.13. Google the part number for prices including the used one on eBay for around $80.

Replacing this panel should be easy after removing the wiper arms. The guy who replaced my windshield in my driveway recently had it off in maybe a minute.
Just got a very clean, low-mileage 2012 LE. That cowl on mine is no longer sealing tight/flush in the middle -- probably the owner's time in the AZ sun slightly deformed that piece. Kinda stinks because the windshield was just replaced and i'd hate for that void to get filled with water, dirt, fir/pine needles over time.

Being able to DIY is somewhat reassuring, but even the local dealer's price of $340 is kind of staggering. I suppose it's worth it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
To start with, this seems like a stupid design. My 18 xle started doing the same thing, the top part came loose. I just glued it back down with some clear rtv silicone. Will see how well it holds up this winter. I think the ice and snow popped it loose last winter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I needed both sides for my 2011 Toyota Sienna SE and found both sides for 31.80 at this site: 2011-2019 Toyota Sienna PLASTIC COWL ENDS | Online Store | Car & Truck Interior Carpet I couldn't find it using the part number given above in the thread, but I was able to find it using their dropdown menu. They claim that they are "OEM but made of a better material" They don't look exactly the same, but yet when I enter my information for my vehicle, that is what comes up.

Is anybody able to comment as to whether they think they will fit?

PS: Someone in the thread mentioned that they didn't know if toyodiy.com allowed new registrations. I was able to sign up on the site, but there was no parts diagram, just a list.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I needed both sides for my 2011 Toyota Sienna SE and found both sides for 31.80 at this site: 2011-2019 Toyota Sienna PLASTIC COWL ENDS | Online Store | Car & Truck Interior Carpet I couldn't find it using the part number given above in the thread, but I was able to find it using their dropdown menu. They claim that they are "OEM but made of a better material" They don't look exactly the same, but yet when I enter my information for my vehicle, that is what comes up.

Is anybody able to comment as to whether they think they will fit?
I don't know if the image on that web site is the correct one but the part description seems to match.

PS: Someone in the thread mentioned that they didn't know if toyodiy.com allowed new registrations. I was able to sign up on the site, but there was no parts diagram, just a list.
That was me. Toyodiy is maintained by car enthusiasts and isn't much of a commercial enterprise. It can take a variable length of time - days to weeks - for access to be granted to diagrams. I think the legal dispute between Toyodiy and TMC is in the past but I'm not certain..

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't know if the image on that web site is the correct one but the part description seems to match.

That was me. Toyodiy is maintained by car enthusiasts and isn't much of a commercial enterprise. It can take a variable length of time - days to weeks - for access to be granted to diagrams. I think the legal dispute between Toyodiy and TMC is in the past but I'm not certain..
They replied right away with a confirmation email and I had instant access!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'll need to attach the old one back until I can get the new ones in. What do you suggest to do it with? Another thread suggested gorilla glue, but I don't want a permanent mess.

·
Registered
15 Posts

I received the parts, the rubber was pliant, and all the tabs to hold it in place were there, along with a double faced foam strip at the top thin area. It didn't hold, though, so I used rubber cement and clamped it in place. We’ll see how it does.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts