Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I'm reading these posts, I see people asking valid questions about turbocharging, supercharging, 2gr swap, and a good majority of replies say "no don't do it, it's a hassle" "you're going to run into problems when you sell it" "your first grandson will be born with rickets". C'mon man, if someone wants to mod the shit out of their van, encourage him or her to do so. That's what this forum is about. Let's see some 2jz-awd converted 1st gens. Anyone who says they wouldn't want to see that, is lying. Lol

Sent from my Redmi Note 4X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm all for modding your vehicle, I've modified near every vehicle I've ever had, the main problem I see in doing anything to these Sienna's is that at the end of the day you end up with a Sienna, there's no escaping that, so for me it's not a good starting place for my time and effort.

The main, seemingly unsolvable problem with these vehicles is, to me that the sliding door windows don't go down. That alone is enough to never let me want to spend any time modding this vehicle.

Also, the engine is stupid. Accessibility is horrendous. Before the Sienna I had Chevy 350's that got better mileage with near twice the hp with half the number of parts. The Chevy's were way, way more economical than the Sienna. No timing belt, no separate coils, no crappy plastic door handles that break... the list goes on. Superior technology.

But for those that want to do stuff to their Siennas I'm all ears. I'd like to see someone figure out how to make the sliding door windows and the tailgate window retract (good luck).

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm also all for modding a vehicle, but my 2001 Sienna XLE isn't going to be one of them outside of audio. From my perspective there just isn't enough potential out there for my daily driver with 297,000 miles. I'm just appreciative that I don't have a car payment, and I can listen to music comfortably in a reliable vehicle with A/C.

But if someone wants to spend their hard-earned money on their 1st gen Sienna then they should go for it. Don't wait for validation from the internet population.

NOTE: If I had won the recent billion dollar Mega Millions then I would have already stripped my XLE and experimented with an engine swap ..... all in my new house with a 2-story, 4 car garage :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
My sliding door windows go down, but even if they didn't I don't really think that would stop me doing modifications. Why is that a deal killer?

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'd like driving around with the sliding door windows open for my dogs. The reason it's a deal killer is that no matter what i did to the vehicle, if i didn't solve that, I'd still find the vehicle lacking. With just the two front door windows opening it's always stuffy in the back, so I need to use ac all the time. It's stupid because here in Hawaii a lot of the time the temperature is fine without ac. Compared to the big Buick wagons i used to have with the power tailgate window my 2000 Sienna is pretty terrible ventilation wise.

I have never seen a 1998-2003 Sienna that had sliding windows that go down... doryman it sounds like your Sienna is a later version?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts