Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2022 XSE FWD, and I am not getting anywhere near the gas mileage that was advertised. I have changed my driving habits and actually have a really good driving score through the app, but I have only once gotten 31mpg, the last tank I got was 23 mpg! I figure the miles per gallon manually because I don’t trust what the gauges tell me. I was driving it in eco mode and my husband told me to try driving in normal mode and see if that helps. I feel like a grandma driving right now because I am desperate to see if it will get the mpgs so many other people are getting! My mombus has 2500 miles on her and I want to figure out what I am doing wrong! Please help!

·
Registered
794 Posts
If you're running the heater a lot, that will make the engine run more and use the battery less.

If you're driving at highway speeds, that will lower MPG by quite a bit. Anything over 65mph starts to see drops in efficiency, and once you're at or near 80mph then it plummets.

Use the cruise control everywhere possible, even in small local roads. The computer does a much better job modulating the accelerator than you ever could. It also will recharge more than you would.

Use your brake early and often. The longer you brake, the more charged your battery becomes. The more charged your battery is, the less you need to use the gas engine.

Keep the tach in the dark green everywhere possible. When it goes to light green, mileage suffers. When it goes into the white, it gets even worse.

·
Registered
667 Posts
On the above braking point.....brake as lightly as possible when you do brake. Also it is important to try to keep a heavy vehicle in motion as much as possible, it is physics. Read the traffic flow. However the hybrid does help mitigate that issue somewhat. A vehicle uses much more energy starting from stop than one that is slightly already moving/rolling. I think you will gain much by keeping it moving as much as possible by lightly braking which will also charge the battery. Feather touching the brakes as you are also feather touching the accelerator. You will eventually get the hang of it but for most old habits live long.

·
Registered
2021 LE AWD Silver
81 Posts
Something I found, for some counter-intuitive reason, the trips that I have had the best MPG are when I forget to drive conservatively. It might be the case that you're overcompensating on your driving when the hybrid system is tuned to average driving.

Other factors are whether you're in a very hilly region, if you're driving only very short distances, and whether you need to run the heater, as was mentioned earlier. All three will negatively impact MPG.

·
Registered
667 Posts
My experience if I am in a hurry and drive "average" I am getting 32 to 37 mpg. If I drive my usual conservative way, which I almost always attempt to do, I get 40 to 42 mpg. I live in a lot of rural hills. How you do the hills makes a huge difference. Cold and very short trips takes a big hit on mpg.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It may have more to do with driving conditions than how you're driving. I don't do anything special, just driving it like I normally do and it's consistently over 40 mpg. The worst I've seen was 80 mph freeway driving in the hottest part of the Arizona summer and it got 33 or 34. My current tank is showing over 42 mpg with 660 miles of total range. I've driven 540 miles and 120 left. The conditions are pretty optimal. The roads are relatively flat and temperatures are around 80°F. What are your conditions like?

·
Registered
91 Posts
23 is so far off normal MPG for these, I'm going to lean towards you're doing something wrong with your calculation/fill up. Perhaps you didn't fully fill (these newer toyotas like to trigger the fuel pump shutoff early i've noticed in our Rav4), and then fully filled the next tank, resulting in a lower MPG.

What does the trip computer say? They are accurate usually within 1mpg these days.

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
797 Posts
Check MPGs after each individual trip on the MID. You may have to disable the child reminder. Opening any door also overrides the trip MPGs.

It will help narrow Cheap Trips vs. Expensive ones.

The lowest MPGs trips for me are shorter ~2miles ones in cold weather. Sometimes it is as low as 20MPGs. However, I occasionally see 36-40MPGs on longer trips when I am forced to drive conservative, or If someone conservative is driving it.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE Plus
481 Posts
I just drove a loaded van 1100 miles at 90-100mph for at least 1000 of those miles and got 29-31mpg. These are basically the worst conditions you can get aside from literally driving up a mountain. Something is off on your van and/or calculation, likely the latter is my guess.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Every trip I make, I reset the most resent mpg so I can monitor my driving with always the goal of at least getting the EPA, most of the time it is well over but occasional on shorter it is somewhat under which I usually cannot do much about the temp and the length of the trip. I agree the calcs are probably off.

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
797 Posts
One more suggestion is to test out a 20-30 minutes 30-60MPH relatively steady drive on interstate or local roads with fewest lights or stops. Most people would get close to 36MPGs in this scenario. If you get anything more than 32+ here, than you can sort of assume that it is probably shorter HVAC Intensive trips that are causing you the lower MPGs.

One more suggestion would be to try out a different driver too for various trips. (I know it would really hurt if other driver gets a lot better mileage. I have been there ;) )

Look up how to see the real-time accumulate trip and Tank MPGs on the MID. You can also sort of see it in Infotainment under Entergy -> Trip info. It has has vertical bar showing current MPG.

Toyota App also shows recent trips and grades them based on acceleration, braking and cornering. The app is however a day or so delayed. You can still see this same info after every trip on Mid as mentioned earlier already.

P.s. Check tire pressure too! My last two tanks dropped from average 31MPGs to 27MPGs. I just noticed my tires are now at 31PSI. Recent cold weather is likely to blame. The change in Winter fuel may also have happened simultaneously for those of us in DC area.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I like putting the Energy monitor as my primary screen on the audio/visual system, too. Let's you see in real-time whether you're using engine, battery, or recharging. Instant feedback on driving style

·
Registered
7 Posts
One more suggestion is to test out a 20-30 minutes 30-60MPH relatively steady drive on interstate or local roads with fewest lights or stops. Most people would get close to 36MPGs in this scenario. If you get anything more than 32+ here, than you can sort of assume that it is probably shorter HVAC Intensive trips that are causing you the lower MPGs.

One more suggestion would be to try out a different driver too for various trips. (I know it would really hurt if other driver gets a lot better mileage. I have been there ;) )

Look up how to see the real-time accumulate trip and Tank MPGs on the MID. You can also sort of see it in Infotainment under Entergy -> Trip info. It has has vertical bar showing current MPG.

Toyota App also shows recent trips and grades them based on acceleration, braking and cornering. The app is however a day or so delayed. You can still see this same info after every trip on Mid as mentioned earlier already.

P.s. Check tire pressure too! My last two tanks dropped from average 31MPGs to 27MPGs. I just noticed my tires are now at 31PSI. Recent cold weather is likely to blame. The change in Winter fuel may also have happened simultaneously for those of us in DC area.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Toyota app used to show the Drive Pulse. I didn’t do anything to the app, but now I don’t see that card in the app. Also, on the infotainment, I don’t get the weather updated. I have the DCM and HD Radio option selected. Any thoughts??

·
Registered
2021 XLE
24 Posts
Cold weather lowers hybrid mpg. Do you live in an area with winter? Maybe try parking in a garage? If you buy your Sienna in Canada, it comes with an engine block heater, and you can add a 12v battery maintainer and electric cabin heater. All that energy to heat the cabin, engine, and recharge the cold 12v battery has to come from somewhere. The engine block heater is probably most important. But maybe not worth it unless negative temps are common for you.

The driving style takes a little getting used to. Light touch on the brakes earlier than you are used to to stop. Light touch on the accelerator. Give the motors time to do their work. I get 30-40 mpg, and I don’t drive like grandma. It’s more towards the lower end when the vehicle is fully loaded with people and their stuff. Not too bad really.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Today I have driven in the Appalachian mountains, the temperature being 27F at the highest altitudes (3,000-ish feet) and just above freezing in the valleys. Both legs were about 1 hour each. Around 30 mpg, as expected.

Cloud Sky Ecoregion Plant Natural landscape

What's your average mpg's over the 2,500 mi?

Reactions: pamhar

·
Registered
59 Posts
Today I have driven in the Appalachian mountains, the temperature being 27F at the highest altitudes (3,000-ish feet) and just above freezing in the valleys. Both legs were about 1 hour each. Around 30 mpg, as expected.

View attachment 53528

What's your average mpg's over the 2,500 mi?
How much was van loaded?

People, cargo.

Van took elevation with ease or struggled?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts