Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So much knowledge here, how about a few pearls? I may buy new laptop or desktop. Spend approx.1500 to 2000 dollars. Not a gamer. Don't do any thing creative on it. Just this forum, e-mail and research stuff. Want fast, current and reliable. Bought an I-Mac last year, and took it back in 4 days. Couldn't make it work with my printers etc. Guess I'm a PC guy. Never owned a laptop, but like the portability of it for weekends. Price not really a factor . Any thoughts ?

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
I use Macs and PCs and I would recommend buying a MacBook. Easy to use, and no virus issues (yet.)
I have a MacBook at home and I'm very happy with it. The current model is even better.

I saw your post about registry cleaners. You won't need those with a Mac either.

I'm surprised that the printer didn't work. Most printers are plug-n-play with the Mac.

If you need any kind of computer help, feel free to post here and I can help. I'm sure most other users can help too.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 2006, I've had an inkling that I should go that route too. May keep the ol' desktop just to run my old HP4000 laser printer. Want to join modern times as it were.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
If a Costco or a Sam's Club are convenient for you, I would suggest getting a system there.

They tend to be competitively priced, full-featured, newest/latest systems and technology, and geared toward the avg mass-market user, etc. Costco also has extremely liberal & generous return policies. And Sam's Club has very good prices on extended service contracts/warranties.

Your main trade-offs might be they have a limited selection, you cannot "custom" configure a system's hardware or software/operating system, most of the systems have "starter" bundles of pre-installed software (antivirus, office productivity, internet providers, etc) which might expire after a trial-period unless you pay some $$$ to permanently activate the programs, may not be the ULTRA-hottest systems (but some are pretty close), may not have the ABSOLUTE LOWEST prices.

Plus, if you are an Executive or premium-level member at the club-stores, then the big-ticket purchase will be appropriately rebated to you as ca$h back at the end of your membership-year.

Wherever you do buy your next computer system, make sure that one of the FIRST things you do after unpacking it, setting it up, and familiarizing yourself with it, and registering it, is to REQUEST/ORDER the actual SYSTEM DISCS or RECOVERY DISCS for the system from the computer manufacturer. Some will send it to you for free within a limited amount of time, others might charge you a nominal fee. You generally have to make the manual effort yourself to do this, it is not automatic. Most systems no longer ship with these discs. The software is pre-loaded on to the internal harddrives and that is it. If your harddrive dies or some system files get corrupted, then all is "toast". Sometimes there will be hidden backup image files to allow you to recover, but it is still safer and easier to have the actual DISCS available. These DISCS will contain your OS (operating system) as well as some of the originally installed "starter" software programs and may be useful if you ever need to recover/rebuild your system. And don't forget to backup your important/irreplaceable files and documents.

Keep in mind that realistically speaking....3yrs is the avg life of a laptop (batteries, components, etc). Desktops may stretch a bit longer and are easier/cheaper to fix/upgrade, but generally speaking, probably by year 5 you will likely be regularly feeling that your once newest-greatest computer is a dinosaur and you can't keep up any more with the latest software and hardware system requirements. And that pace of obsolescence is only accelerating...

YMMV.
Good Luck!! 8)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm a mac guy but if i had to buy a pc I'd buy a Dell, if you are thinking of getting a laptop as well Dell's completecare warranty is the best. I work with both Dell and Macs at my work. Hey xxx where in ontario are you at?

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
whositwhatnow said:
I'm a mac guy but if i had to buy a pc I'd buy a Dell, if you are thinking of getting a laptop as well Dell's completecare warranty is the best. I work with both Dell and Macs at my work. Hey xxx where in ontario are you at?

+1 for DELL. My "main" computer is my desktop(dell) I have had it for 4 years no real problems. When i got it i did not get the DISC's (windows back-up ETC) So i sent them a message about this and they sent the disc's(no charge to me!!!) Why don't they just send the disc's(?)

DELL also has a great customer service, again a A+ for me.

(my lap-top.....getting next week is also a DELL)

Just my $0.02.

Hope others will reply. So all the apples are on the table to choose from.

·
Registered
378 Posts
If you are going to get PC I would go with Dell for some reason they seem to be the only company that offers onsite support. They were knocked a few years ago for their tech support and have made major strides to improve. Right now I have 3 Dell laptops I ma typing this on a Dell 17" which I use all the time. I have a 15" that I spilled a glass of water in, hard drive died laptop survived and I have a 15.4" laptops from work. I have 2 Dell desktops.

Right now Dell is having a sale on laptops they are offering 15% off on refurbished systems dell.com\outlet look on the right for the specials. I have purcased many systems from the outlet and have never had an issue. My 17" laptop and both desktops are refurbs. Quick pricing I found s Studio 15 laptop 2.53 GHz processor 4 Gb RAM Blue Ray reading drive 256 MB video card 2 mp web cam Fingerprint reader, with bluettooth for 949 - 15% so not a bad deal!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Excellent responses folks ! I've printed them off for going shopping reference material. It's interesting. I've been a Costco member for years, and always thought that their electronic products were 'last year's' stuff, or end of lines. Maybe I'm wrong. Read recently that HP was #1 in sales, that's why I was considering HP; also because Costco carries HP. I 've had many people say Dell is good for above mentioned reasons. I've noticed that my bank branches all use Dell. Been told that the CDN govt. uses Dell as well. Ive tried to be a middle to upper middle buyer for the past 20 years. Great believer that if you buy cheap, you get cheap. Spent $2000 lasttime, and still using it eight years later. Realize that every dog has it's day though ! I agree about getting the discs. Didn't know they don't come with now. Like the idea of a laptop that I can take to cottage. My drive was making funny noises today before I logged in, so I guess I'm getting close to a meltdown !

·
Registered
378 Posts
If you are going to get a laptop Dell is really nice with the onsite support my BIL just purchased a HP and had a fan go out and it took 3 weeks to fix. Dell would have been out in 2 days to replace the fan.

if you are going to get a laptop you can buy your own Solid State hard drive for not too much $$ or buy one with a 7200 rpm hard drive. buying the bottom of the top is a good way to go. The cheapest Lexus and top Toyota have a lot in common, however with the Lexus you get the better dealership experience.
Dell has a seperate phone # for XPS systems.

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
I got a dell lap-top off e-bay that did not work out so good(it was the seller NOT dell)

Anyway, I looked around at a NEW dell lap-top!! Ordered it tonight. Great $ on-line here in canada anyway.

Picked up an INSPIRON 15. 3GB memory,160GB hard drive,wireless,duel layer DVD burner. FREE shipping for the low low price of $529.00.

BUT WAIT THERE IS MORE!!!!!!!!! added a web cam for $30.00.

add TAX, TAX and more TAX..... Just over $600.00 to me door.

"it's on the way"!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
WooHoo!! Nothing much better than getting a new computer....except maybe a new car. Heh, heh.
Don't forget to call Dell and get THE DISCS!!

Enjoy!! 8)

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
whositwhatnow said:
I hope you got extended warranty, you should look into complete care as well. Just my 2 cents
I wanted to keep the cost down (money tree is just starting to bud)..... i know complete care is a wise choice. BUT if i have a problem later on i can bug you ;D :D :eek:.

I got the webcam for maybe a new "feature here" "siennachat" CHAT. hehehe. You just never know(?)

·
Registered
378 Posts
complete care is good for kids with laptops going to college. otherwise just use care. My Dell sales rep tells me there will be lots of laptop sales coming uo Dell will be blwoing out all the Inspiron systems that are old and on the 9 10 12" systems they are going to a lower power memory that will extend battery life but drive up cost. I have my eye on a 10" system myself!

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
komondor said:
complete care is good for kids with laptops going to college. otherwise just use care. My Dell sales rep tells me there will be lots of laptop sales coming uo Dell will be blwoing out all the Inspiron systems that are old and on the 9 10 12" systems they are going to a lower power memory that will extend battery life but drive up cost. I have my eye on a 10" system myself!
Thanks. My new DELL is for me!!! hehe. I will look after it. Can't wait to get it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally got a new compuker. So...... I'm baaaaaack !
After much shopping, and time on Dell's website, I decided to have a young fellow that builds his own compukers at Tiger Direct assemble one for me. This is what I got:
Intel i7 CPU 940 @ 2.93 GHZ 12 GB RAM
EVGA X58 SLE Motherboard
NVIDIA GeForce 9800GTX+
2 Corsair Dominator 6GB RAM
NZXT Airflow King Tower
Corsair TX750W Power Supply
2 Lite-on 4X Blue Ray Burners
Seagate 1.5 Tb Drive
Noctua NH-U12P CPU Cooler
Logitech Wave Keyboard
Acer G24 Monitor 24" LCD
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 Bit
Computer Associates Security Suite Don't know if I needed all that. $4000 CDN lighter now too!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh yeah. Now my compuker is soooooooooooooooo fast!!!!!!!

WOW....Looks like you have quite an impressive setup!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts