Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

201 - 220 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
So today 8th April 2020 , while sheltering in due to the Corona virus, I bled the brakes and lubricated the caliper pins . I primed the rusty rear drums with phosphoric acid then painted them with high temp black spray paint. I also sprayed the rear wheel wells with rubberized undercoating. I painted all hubcaps and all steel wheels. Next thing to do is vacuum and steam clean the carpets and fabric seats. My Sienna sure is getting a lot of tlc these days!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Not today, but over the last two weekends I...

* Replaced the rubber brake lines with stainless steel and replaced/bled the brake fluid

* Rotated the tires and replaced the North American lug nuts with Japanese made ones

* Replaced the power steering fluid

* Replaced several vacuum lines that were dry rotted

* Cleaned the coolant reservoir and replaced the coolant

* Replaced the transmission fluid fliter and did a fluid drain and fill

Next up is to replace a couple of exterior trim pieces that have seen better days.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
883 Posts
Mike,You were certainly busy ! our Siennas ...the remedy for cabin fever? My right Ball joint has a leaky boot..thats next for me . And today I removed the wiper arms ground down the corrosion to metal , primed with etching primer and spray painted . Looks new again!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Do the Japanese lug nuts look different?
Supposedly they are more durable and less prone to swelling. A few weeks ago I replaced all my lug nuts because many were swollen. Some took 21mm, 22mm, etc and wouldn't be able to change a flat with the wrench provided by Toyota. I replaced with the ones my Toyota dealer provided and not sure where they were made.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Do the Japanese lug nuts look different?
No, not to me. The difference in looks was more because the new ones are nice and shiny. A few months ago I spot checked a few of the nuts with the factory lug wrench. Some were swollen enough that it was really difficult to get the wrench on them. I plan to go through the old ones and pick out the best ones to keep as spares.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Swelling lug nuts is new to me, never thought that could happen. What would cause them to swell? Heat and stress?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Swelling lug nuts is new to me, never thought that could happen. What would cause them to swell? Heat and stress?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Very interesting to say the least. My lug nuts on my 06 with steel wheels look like the basic old fashion type. Guess I don't need to worry.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What I've done in relation to above

1. Install left air lift kit. And notice some 22mm lugs on same wheel

2. While trying to install the right air bag, noticed lots of bad lugs and unable to remove one. Airbag install fail

3. Buy all new lugs from dealer and visit the hardware store to deal with the swollen, rounded stuck lugnut from above.

4. Replaced all lug nuts.
5. Installed remaining airbag
6. Oil/filter change. Cabin and engine air filter change
7. Transmission drain and fill

Just needs a wash for now. Soon I'll change more fluids.

Really like these airbag kits, except the squeaking. I've loaded the van with lumber and was so much better than without the airbags.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I wish i could work on my sienna. I have seasonal allergy that's pretty bad. Pollen just really ruins my day so I have been staying indoors. I drove her today for the first time in two weeks. Runs great.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Today Apr 29 2020 I installed an inexpensive back up camera system. The primary purpose is to see if there are objects ( shopping carts?) or people before reversing. The install went well and I was able to see what is behind the various panels that I had to remove. There were quite a few unconnected cable ends as mine is an LE. I saw to the rear what appears to connections for vans equipped with the jbl subwoofer. But here is one that peaked my interest. It is on the left side near the left speaker , by the sliding door. It is pointed out with the yellow plastic tool. this seems to be in line with a circular cap about an inch and a half in diameter and is to the upper left of the speaker as shown. Any one knows what this is?
1B8DD980-49EC-4A2E-B46D-B952FB6A7166.jpeg
2DC587CB-F735-41CD-A42B-A5F878C1EEDF.jpeg

·
Registered
328 Posts
Added a car awning for the sienna camper van. It is not an ARB but a $100 ebay awning, plus all the parts from an ARB awning will fit if I need replacement parts and the add a room will work as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
475 Posts
@Craigrrr That looks great! Is that 8 feet long? Did you have to do anything special for the installation? Do you have a link to the one you bought?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
883 Posts
I wanna know too!
However I want mine to cover as far forward as the front tire , less in the rear but definitely covering the sliding door and the reason for this is to cover the window a/c unit that I plan putting on the front passenger window , just in case it rains. Mine will have to be disassembled and carried in the car, the downside I suppose.

·
Registered
328 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
I wanna know too!
However I want mine to cover as far forward as the front tire , less in the rear but definitely covering the sliding door and the reason for this is to cover the window a/c unit that I plan putting on the front passenger window , just in case it rains. Mine will have to be disassembled and carried in the car, the downside I suppose.
Paul, I was going to go 8' but I am leaving mine on full time , I was thinking there would not be enough support for 8 foot unless you screwed mounting brackets to the roof.

201 - 220 of 234 Posts