Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
My guy friends who all drive large SUVs, tease me for driving a minivan but I laugh at them when they have to open their own doors with their hands!!
Toyota to potential buyers of 3-row vehicles: "Hey, we can give you 8 extra inches of space. How do you want to use it?"
Sienna buyers: "We want to add more legroom to the 3rd row and get a larger cargo area"
Highlander buyers: "The nose. We want the nose"

Everyone gets what they want. That's the beauty of the free market economy :)

·
Registered
2014 Toyota Sienna LE
31 Posts
The 2014 AWD Sienna I have now is my first Sienna and third van. Before it I had a 2014 Ford Transit Connect. I got the Transit Connect for basically all the reasons I have the Sienna now (sleeping in the back, getting to trailheads, being a glorified pickup). It wasn't great for any of those things so I sold it and got the Sienna. The fun part is that I bought the Transit Connect with cash after VW bought back my 2010 Golf TDI because of the emissions debacle (plus some settlement money). I sold the Transit Connect at a profit and bought the Sienna with that cash. So I haven't had to pay a dime for my last two vehicles thanks to VW's negligence.

The first van I owned was a couple cars before the Golf. It was a 79 Ford Econoline I bought for $800 in college. What a great van that was. It got 12mpg, had 3 on the tree, and the cargo area was big enough you could put an entire snowmobile inside it! I miss it sometimes when I see people with lifted E series vans but I think the Sienna is better for my uses.

Edit: Whoops. My Sienna isn't a 2021. Guess I'm not allowed in this thread. Vive la 2014!

·
Registered
3 Posts
We just put a deposit down on an incoming FWD XSE (White). Can’t believe I’m paying MSRP but I’ve been trying to get one for months, almost impossible. Trading in our gas guzzling 2018 Tahoe for it. Getting a good trade value so I’m not complaining too much. Getting like 14-15 mpg driving kids around town, time to make a change. Excited for our first minivan.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
The 2014 AWD Sienna I have now is my first Sienna and third van. Before it I had a 2014 Ford Transit Connect. I got the Transit Connect for basically all the reasons I have the Sienna now (sleeping in the back, getting to trailheads, being a glorified pickup). It wasn't great for any of those things so I sold it and got the Sienna. The fun part is that I bought the Transit Connect with cash after VW bought back my 2010 Golf TDI because of the emissions debacle (plus some settlement money). I sold the Transit Connect at a profit and bought the Sienna with that cash. So I haven't had to pay a dime for my last two vehicles thanks to VW's negligence.

The first van I owned was a couple cars before the Golf. It was a 79 Ford Econoline I bought for $800 in college. What a great van that was. It got 12mpg, had 3 on the tree, and the cargo area was big enough you could put an entire snowmobile inside it! I miss it sometimes when I see people with lifted E series vans but I think the Sienna is better for my uses.

Edit: Whoops. My Sienna isn't a 2021. Guess I'm not allowed in this thread. Vive la 2014!
I have a relative who actually made out quite nicely on the VW negligence issue with his Jetta TDI. The day after VW initiated the buyback with him, his wife accidentally filled it up with regular unleaded. When she realized her mistake, she called him up and he told her to drive straight to the dealership, which was only a few miles away. The Jetta made it there, and it was the last time they saw it. I guess VW didn’t care at that point, and cut them the check all the same.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2020 Honda CR-V. We had a 2011?ish sienna prior and figured our kids were all old enough we didn’t need a minivan anymore but we just missed all that room for stuff or people. Had to borrow a friend’s Odyssey to take a kid to college and decided we had to get a van again. We’re kinda older than the typical minivan demographic but it turns out there isn’t a more versatile vehicle. We managed to wrangle a ruby red 2021 XSE recently.

·
Registered
600 Posts
2020 Honda CR-V. We had a 2011?ish sienna prior and figured our kids were all old enough we didn’t need a minivan anymore but we just missed all that room for stuff or people. Had to borrow a friend’s Odyssey to take a kid to college and decided we had to get a van again. We’re kinda older than the typical minivan demographic but it turns out there isn’t a more versatile vehicle. We managed to wrangle a ruby red 2021 XSE recently.
Yep versatile. Age 63 and never had a van or considered one until this hybrid came along. Kind of funny how things work out. Sterling our "covered truck"....lol.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited • Predawn Mica Gray
39 Posts
2009 Toyota RAV4

I've been wanting a minivan for at least 25 years. Finally got one this year. All it took was getting married and having 2 kids, then BOOM, the minivan suddenly became a reality.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
I would say, the 2021 AWD Sienna is the most versatile vehicle I can think of. For me, it functionally replaced a CRV Hybrid and a work truck variety of the F-150. Would you believe, it has better fuel efficiency than the CRV, and can seat more people than the extended cab F-150. It's also true, though, that we didn't use the truck to haul large amounts of loose stuff in the bed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My Sienna hasn't arrived yet, but my soon-to-be-former car is a 2012 Prius V. Great car, love the cargo space on par with many midsize SUVs. No problems with it through 100k miles, but still gets a bit cramped when camping (hence the Sienna).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Previous vehicle was a 2008 Subaru Tribeca. I really did love that vehicle. Terrible on gas mileage but it was awesome in the snow. One of the few vehicles that had a 40-20-40 2nd row. Made it great for skies, lumber, etc. New Sienna blows it away though in terms of cargo space. I'm a totally a van convert. 3 row SUVs make no sense to me anymore.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Had a 2019 Chevy Equinox. Then baby #1 came along. Plus dog. Plans for another baby in next year or 2. Decided to sell equinox and get top $$ for it in this car market and embrace minivan life
My mother in law has an Equinox, can totally see why you made the move. We got our Sienna in April, had baby #2 in June. Minivan life is great! :cool:

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
My mother in law has an Equinox, can totally see why you made the move. We got our Sienna in April, had baby #2 in June. Minivan life is great! :cool:
Congrats! Baby #1 was July for us. Got our sienna on Labor Day. I really did enjoy my equinox but not as spacious as we thought once baby was in tote
We empty-nested a while ago, so no babies on board, but we do appreciate the sheer luxury of being able to haul all the work stuff, the weekend gear and the materials for home projects with dignity and without feeling bad about emissions or spending a fortune at a gas pump. A clear win-win-win, if you ask me.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have too many cars. Still have a collection over 30 cars right now.

But I am probably first to go from 2021 to another 2021 sienna.

We had an 2021 XLE Plus. But after getting an LX570 and Highlander platinum. We realized that we really miss the surround view camera (I had it on my other cars too. But wife never had a car with surround view and front camera). We have a lot of junk in our garage. The front camera works wonder.

We sold the XLE for $1k loss. We are picking up a cypress 2021 platinum this weekend for $500 off MSRP.

We almost jumped to Carnival. But SX prestige is too hard to find and no dealer will go less than $8k markup.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts