Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Replaced the left axle in my 09 LE 2wd. Backed out of the driveway & took off. made it about 50' & heard a loud POP. Then no more power to the wheels. Trans fluid on the ground so I'm guessing the axle came out. Didn't think it could with the spindle in place. To tired to look until morning.

Discussion Starter · #1 · 2 h ago (Edited)

Replaced the left axle in my 09 LE 2wd. Backed out of the driveway & took off. made it about 50' & heard a loud POP. Then no more power to the wheels. Trans fluid on the ground so I'm guessing the axle came out. Didn't think it could with the spindle in place. To tired to look until morning.

Looks like a lot of threads sticking out

Looks like a lot of threads sticking out.
Rim Gas Auto part Nickel Household hardware

Fluid Sink Tin Automotive tire Plumbing

·
Registered
416 Posts
Did you torque your axel but to that 200+ lb? Also did the axel splines seat in correctly?

I did mine last fall, no issues. Almost 6000k on it already off course mines a 3rd gen but it's the same motor/transmission (I believe). And same process.

Note mine sticks out too, that's normal. I'm sure it wasn't seated it correctly.

I tapped it in with a plastic hammer.

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Rim Auto part

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Wow, what a horrible ending to the repair and your day. I hope you got some sleep!

There are a couple of things that can cause this problem. Obviously, the axle ring clip on the inboard end of the axle may not have been engaged inside the transmission.

Since you replaced the axle, are you certain the new axle was the same length? The inboard half-shaft joint is designed to "plunge" into out of the cup inside the transmission. This joint can get vacuum "locked" so when the half-shaft tries to move out of the cup, it pulls the cup out of the transmission. Check to confirm that the half-shaft moves freely into and out of the cup.

Good luck! probably very little damage caused, but do check the seal on the transmission for damage in case it needs to be repaired.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Automotive tire Gas Auto part Composite material Metal

100 Degree F out & I'm out side working on this miserable axle again. I sqeezed them together & they appear to be same length. I'm baffled. Geuess I'll stick it back in & pound the sht out of it
Gas Automotive tire Auto part Metal Soil

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It messed up the splines on the outer end past the clip. I prob could have repaired it with a file but for $120 I just bought a new one. Put a few miles on it tonight & found a puddle under it the store but not when I got home. So pretty good chance will be coming apart a 3rd time. && my check engine light came on.

·
Registered
903 Posts
It messed up the splines on the outer end past the clip. I prob could have repaired it with a file but for $120 I just bought a new one. Put a few miles on it tonight & found a puddle under it the store but not when I got home. So pretty good chance will be coming apart a 3rd time. && my check engine light came on.
That's going just about the same as some of my "comedy of errors" repairs have gone. It doesn't matter if it's a car or a furnace or a bathroom sink. My first experience with that type of repair as a kid was helping my dad change out bathroom faucet. He gave me the job of disconnecting the drain. He told me to turn the pipe wrench and the whole pipe ripped in half down in the trap section.

There's a good chance that your seals were already leaking. I think they tend to leak a little always, but, when you disturb them, there's a decent chance they will start leaking a lot.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
New seal. Driveway was dry this morn so we'll see. Will get it warmed up & recheck fluid. Good thing is I'm getting very good @ removing & replacing it. About 15 minutes out & about 20 in. My check engine light is out this morn also. Maybe it all was a dream.

·
Registered
416 Posts
New seal. Driveway was dry this morn so we'll see. Will get it warmed up & recheck fluid. Good thing is I'm getting very good @ removing & replacing it. About 15 minutes out & about 20 in. My check engine light is out this morn also. Maybe it all was a dream.
That's great news! Yes, after I do a job, I tell myself I can do it better/faster next time. Experience pays off.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welp 3 times out 3 times in 2 axles 2 seals finally have my car back on the road. Changed the axle & seal . It popped out damaging the splines Seal looked good. bought another axle & got it back together a second time seal leaked. apart a 3rd time another seal. after getting it together a 3rd time I let it run in the driveway a while. Pudde under it. After having an aneurysm I realized it was just residual fluid running off the case. Ran around town several hrs tonight & all is good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts