Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 2007 Sienna LE and I'm thinking of purchasing an aftermarket infotainment for it. My needs are:
  1. Apple Carplay
  2. Backup camera
  3. Hands free phone communication
Nice to have if possible and the price is affordable:
  1. Wireless Apple Carplay
  2. Front and rear camera
  4. Able to control via buttons on the steering wheels.
I'm currently looking at these:
  1. BOSS Audio Systems BVCP9850W
  2. BOOS Audio Systems MRCP9685A
  3. BOSS Audio Systems Elite BE10ACP
  4. BOSS Audio Systems Elite Series BE950WCPA
Any recommendations, suggestions, and comments are welcome and appreciated.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I had a Boss Elite system installed in my daughter's 2010 Camry for just over $700. The installation included everything on your list except the front camera and Apple Carplay is wired. She's very happy with it. The key is to make sure you have what you need to make it look like a professional installation. And you may need an adapter so you retain the steering wheel controls.

Check the BOSS website or crutchfield.com to see what you need to maintain the steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
114 Posts
We had good service from Boss single DIN units but had trouble with double DIN touch screens after a year or so. Same with low end Blaupunkt. Boss Elite might be better. No issues with the low end Dual and Kenwood we have now. Kenwood even connects to two phones at the same time if you need that.

I had trouble with steering wheel controls and a Boss double DIN in a ‘08 Prius. Worked properly with a Pioneer unit.

Fitting a rear camera can be tricky because the logical central place to attach it is in the way of the hatch release. Maybe not a problem if you have a motorized hatch and don’t use the main release switch. Some stereos and cameras let you offset guidelines. Or keep in mind the camera view isn’t centered.

Sixto
‘04 LE FWD 195K miles

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for all the responses. Will someone list all the parts that I'll need to get in order to do what I wanted to do above? In the mean time, I'll check out crutchfield.com as well. Thanks again.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You’ll need the stereo, a dash adapter which should include the face panel and brackets for the stereo, wiring adapters to connect the new stereo to the car harness and a steering wheel control module. You might need an extension cable so the rear camera connects to the stereo and fuse taps to provide power to the cameras. You might need wire taps for park brake and reverse signals for the stereo if they’re not part on the existing stereo harness. You might need tools to make solder joints, wire strippers, shrink wrap, electrical tape…. Basic tools including non marring interior panel pry bars and something to release panel clips. Crutchfield will have everything you need if you shop there.

Product Gesture Sports gear Font Material property

Tool Cable Event Carmine Office supplies

Sixto
‘04 LE FWD 195K miles

·
Registered
963 Posts
I have the 2007 Sienna LE and I'm thinking of purchasing an aftermarket infotainment for it. My needs are:
  1. Apple Carplay
  2. Backup camera
Nice to have if possible and the price is affordable:
  1. Wireless Apple Carplay
  2. Front and rear camera
  4. Able to control via buttons on the steering wheels.
Crutchfield has a search which lets you put in your year/make/model (and pick JBL or not) and then select a category. Some considerations... If you want to retain the ability to play CDs, there are very few "modern" options for that feature and none of them are cheap.

These 3 options are listed for my '06 (non-JBL) and meet all your needs plus all your nice-to-haves (with steering wheel control adapter):

Kenwood Excelon DDX9907XR $1,149.99
Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX $900.00
JVC KW-V960BW $879.95

They have an installation kit which includes the steering wheel control adapter plus everything else you need to install it for another $52.98.

If you don't care about retaining the CD playing capability, there are a lot of other options. If you go into the search, you can select the CarPlay stereos, then, on the next screen, scroll down to Inputs and select backup and "second" camera and select Availability of In Stock and under iPod/iPhone Control, select CarPlay (Wireless). From your list, Boss BE950WCPA seems to meet all your wants and needs. All the other options on your list seem to be Wired CarPlay.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Many thanks for all the super helpful suggestions and recommendations! I decided to order the Pioneer DMH-1770NEX with the Metra 95-8208 Double DIN Installation Kit. My next question is, do I need the following items to install the Pioneer DMH-1770NEX to my 2007 Sienna LE that does not have JBL?
  1. PAC RP4.2-TY11 Radiopro4 Ty11
  2. Crux SWRTY-61S Radio Replacement with SWC Retention
  3. Hosa YRA-154 3.5 mm TRS to Dual RCAF Stereo Breakout Cable
  4. BATIGE USB 3.0 & 3.5mm Car Mount Flush Cable 3.5mm
  5. MicroBypass Micro Pulse Bypass fits All AVH PIONEER Parking Brake Video Override
Since this unit is not wireless, I assumed I need item 4 in the list above so I can connect my iPhone to the Pioneer, correct? Does anyone know if when connecting to the Pioneer via USB, does the Pioneer also charge my phone at the same time? Since my Sienna is a LE and does not have those additional buttons to control certain features on the Pioneer, what part# or items do I need to purchase so I can control it via the steering wheels? Again, thank you so much for all your help!

·
Registered
963 Posts
I think #1 is for a fully loaded van with JBL, nav, etc. It looks like you will need #2 to retain your steering wheel controls. I'm not sure what you would use #3 for. I'm unclear on exactly what inputs the head unit has. The description says, "inputs: rear USB port, rear-view camera input, rear 3.5mm A/V input." On the back, though, the only 3.5mm input I see says, "MIC" (which comes with it), so I don't think it supports the option of a second camera, if that was your intent. You will need something like #4, if you don't want to have a dangling cable coming from under the dash. It looks like it comes with a female-ended USB, so you could just use that. The one you selected appears to be a 3.5mm AND USB port. That would be nice if you happened to be able to fit it in place of the existing AUX IN (assuming your '07 has the same as my '06) port. Although, it might be too big for a totally seamless fit. #5 is an interesting one... Technically speaking, installing that is a violation of many State laws and could (definitely won't, but "could") cause you to fail a State vehicle inspection and is probably a violation of some Federal law too. You're not allowed to "use" a screen in front of the driver while moving, but, obviously, that's a grey area for radio touch screens and whatnot. Yes, when plugging in your phone to a USB outlet, it will charge your phone. The USB standard was actually originally designed fundamentally to provide power external devices.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@BillG, thanks so much for the help, much appreciated! My next question is, does anyone have a recommendation for a backup camera for this Pioneer unit and that it'll work for my Sienna 2007?

·
Registered
2006 Sienna XLE with NAV 225k miles
465 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Be sure to check the reviews on BOSS, I seem to recall them being on the not so great side, especially their reliability/longevity.

I installed a low end Kenwood with AA/CP and though the interface is a little clunky, it has worked well and been trouble-free for the three years since I installed it.

-Mike

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
This is the back up camera I have installed now (only had it a few months)…

AUDIOVOX ACA800 Voxx License... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL43UZS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I mounted it to the BOTTOM of the license plate so it wouldn’t interfere with the door release switch. It sticks out and looks a little weird but has worked well so far and doesn’t cover any of the license plate, but I am withholding judgement until I’ve had it longer…

I previously had an Accele brand slim bar style that mounted to the license plate, but it proved to be garbage after maybe 6 months (camera clouded up) and I wish I would have trashed it sooner than the neary 3 years it was on the van.

-Mike

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
For connecting the phone, I installed this in place of one of the cig lighter plugs in the center lower dash…

BATIGE 2 Ports Dual USB 3.0 Male... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N66N1JK?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

One of the USB ports I connected to the back of the stereo for AA/CP. For the other one, I left the removed cig lighter outlet plugged in and put a USB charger in it. Then I taped everything up really well with electrical tape (cable to usb charger, usb charger to outlet and outlet to van wiring harness connector) and then tucked that back behind the dash panels.

I now have the left side power outlet is a dual USB, with the left USB connected to the stereo for AA/CP and the right USB is just your standard USB charger. The right outlet is the factory cig lighter outlet.

-Mike

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For connecting the phone, I installed this in place of one of the cig lighter plugs in the center lower dash…

BATIGE 2 Ports Dual USB 3.0 Male... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N66N1JK?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

One of the USB ports I connected to the back of the stereo for AA/CP. For the other one, I left the removed cig lighter outlet plugged in and put a USB charger in it. Then I taped everything up really well with electrical tape (cable to usb charger, usb charger to outlet and outlet to van wiring harness connector) and then tucked that back behind the dash panels.

I now have the left side power outlet is a dual USB, with the left USB connected to the stereo for AA/CP and the right USB is just your standard USB charger. The right outlet is the factory cig lighter outlet.

-Mike
Thanks! I decided to purchase that same dual port USB.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you so much for all the pouring suggestions/recommendations. I may need all your help again once I got all the parts and start putting together.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Running cable to the back of the van for the backup camera, which is easier, through the floor or top of the van?
I ran from rear hatch through existing wire channel and then down to the back inside quarter trim panel (behind the driver’s side cubby/where the subwoofer would be installed) and then forward under the sliding door sill and under driver’s door sill up under the dash to behind the stereo. The cable that came with the back up camera wasn’t quite long enough so had to use a double female RCA cable adapter and a 6’ (could have been 3’, I don’t remember) length of RCA cable to reach the radio. Junction is taped up well and is behind the driver’s kick plate between the dead pedal and the door sill, IIRC.

Hardest part was getting the RCA cable end through the existing rubber wire channel between hatch and van body. The rest is just tedious, but not difficult. And you’ll want some extra trim clips, because you will break some.

I use these (looks like they are not available anymore but I imagine anything similar on Amazon will be the same, just search for the Toyota part number):

KINGLAKE 40 Pcs Toyota... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CJGJAKI?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

They’re not very good (they hold just fine but they often break when removing the trim panel), but they’re so cheap it doesn’t really matter.

-Mike

·
Registered
114 Posts
As Mike said, a bit of a puzzle getting the camera signal wire through the rubber tube. I used a strip of flat dipstick metal as a snake to pull wires through.

I tucked the wire into the plastic panel where it meets the headliner all the way from back to front. No removing panels, no broken clips. Then down the A-pillar liner to the dash. Mind you don’t lay wire over airbags!

Our front camera is independent of the stereo.

Sixto
‘04 LE FWD 196K miles

1 - 20 of 20 Posts