Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Good link, very interesting. I have to say Toyota isn't all that perfect anyway. I have a leaking engine oilpan and power steering.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
I have to say that there seems to be a difference between some Ody owners and Sienna owners. Many Ody owners are extremely militant, in denial, and close-minded about their pride and joy. Better not say anything bad about the Ody...even if it **IS** true or an isolated example. Many Sienna owners tend to be more realistic.....as in hey, I luv my car, but I know it isn't perfect, just fix/improve it the next time around please.

YMMV.
Good Luck!! 8)

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Ody is a good vehicle, Sienna is too. Both have their good and bad points. I really wanted a ody because it had some fairly good responsive brakes and comfortable seats. I made a post in another thread somewhere here the Honda of Oakland, CA dealer was plesant but would not budget for 25k out the door for EX in April 2008 so I got what I wanted to pay with Dianne at Manhattan Beach Toyota, California.

I like the Honda Ridgeline as a vehicle addition but as of April 2009, I couldn't get the knucklehead Matt Saefong, Honda of Oakland, CA to give it to me at a price I want. So they lost a sale for 2 of them to Ford, deal pending for work trucks in my business.

·
Registered
652 Posts
look is subjective.
and I guess since most of us a "Sienna" guys, so by default, odyssey is not goog looking, no fun... and that's why we are all in the Siennachat.com :)

I don't think the new odyssey looks "ugly". In fact, that look is closed to those odyssey being sold in Asia (for a long time)
I think once the production version is out and start seeing them at Costco parking lot, people may feel a little better about the odyssey.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Actually, I like the front and rear of the current 3rdGen Ody. I dislike the side view.

The reason I have a 2ndGen Sienna is because it was a better vehicle for **me** than the "old" 2ndGen Ody & "new" 3rdGen Quest at the time (2004).

I'm not a "die-hard" Toyota or Honda fanboy. I get the best (subjective & objective) vehicle for my needs that satisfies the most of my requirements and that is within my budget. I have had an '85 Honda Prelude (luved it), a '96 Nissan Maxima (luved it), a '91 Acura Legend (old hand-me-down, rarely driven, but was probably a great choice in its prime), an '04 Lexus ES330 ([spymom's] car, good for her, but I would have gotten an Acura TL at the time instead if it was for "me"...and then regretted it because of the V6's tranny problems, or maybe an Infiniti G35 Coupe), and the '04 Toyota Sienna.

I'm waiting to see what Nissan will serve up for their NEW 4thGen Quest (direct from Japan this time) to compete against the NEW 3rdGen Sienna and NEW 4thGen Ody.

YMMV.
Good Luck!! 8)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Odysseys are great vehicles, we looked at the T&C and Sienna last time and we bought the Odyssey. The Odyssey drove great, handled the best but was the nosiest. Wife did not like the Sienna interior at the time. We wanted to trade now and the new Odyssey was not out, so we bought the Sienna. From pictures I like the Sienna better, to me Toyota's and Honda's are both great cars. I do think that Honda does a better job packaging their cars, LX, EX, EX-L, Touring makes a bunch of sense.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yep, I was looking between used 2006 Odyssey and 2006 Sienna. Here's my take, both have issues and good points.

1) Sienna LEs are quite common with cloth seats so you get a better price. Hard to find a good price on one with Leather.
2) Honda EX-L (Leather) quantities seem to be more available, so you get a decent price for one.
3) IMO, Honda looks better inside and out
4) Sienna is smoother and quieter under normal driving. If you accelerate quickly they both sound noisy.
5) Both seem to be pretty reliable according to stats.
6) Both are safe as far as minivans go

I ended up buying the Sienna because it was cheap. Now after driving it for a few years, I think I should have bought a Odyssey with Leather (My brother has a 08 model EX-L). Nothing is wrong with the Sienna, it's just very plain and cheap looking inside and out (this goes for the Sienna with Leather as well). Keep in mind this is my opinion. Someone mentioned that alot of Car rental companies buy Sienna LEs due to the high resale value, this kinda cheapens the brand in my opinion and means there are alot of used car rental Siennas out there. Lastly, what really really bugs me is that damn ugly antenna. I'll never buy a Sienna again.

·
Super Moderator
4,824 Posts
If I could add a few other comments:

The Gen 2 Odyssey (1999-2004) had two different trannies with different issues. The 4 spd (’99-’01) were really undersized for the job, and was the subject of class action suits and an extended warranty. For ’02-’04, the Gen 2 got a 5 spd that pretty much carried over into the Gen 3 vans (’05-’10) until a full redesign was added in ’08 (?).

The earliest production (’02 - ’03, some '04) had an internal oiling issue that resulted in overheated and blue teeth on second gear. There was an external oil patch added to some (bad news – a patch on something already compromised…). I ignored the recall letter and let mine run until it was so cooked they had to replace it with the redesigned internal oil routing. That was at 35k miles, and the new unit is still fine at 137k. I suspect that many of the external patch units gave out after the warranty, and are the subject of much of the continued discussion.

From 2005 on there were issues about torque converter & hard shift shudder/judder, and of course when combined with the cylinder deactivation there are plenty of negative comments. There were various software updates along the way that helped for many.

With the Ridgeline, Honda designed a much more robust 5 speed with 4 shafts instead of the original 3, and that became the basis for the new Ody transmission. It’s not bug free (some complaints still), but shows further improvement. With the high end ’11, they have added a 6 spd. Why not deploy it across the line like Toyota did is unknown.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I personally haven't had much luck with the Honda Odyssey so far.

When I purchased my first minivan in 2002 due to family expanding, I wanted the Odyssey very badly and its good look didn't hurt. Unfortunately, to all the dealers I visited, the Ody was sold like hot cakes. So many dealers asked if I was willing to add $4000 mark-up over MSRP and to be on the waiting list. Nah ... I needed a minivan so I couldn't afford to wait for too long.

I then visited Toyota dealers, and they had that Sienna Symphony, with JBL premium sound, alloy wheels, power sliding door, leather steering wheel, $5000 rebate off MSRP ... Out-the-door price was $28000. Apparently, the new 2003 model was coming out and the dealer wanted to get rid of 2002 models. The equivalent Odyssey was $36-37k so the choice was very simple.

Then this year, I considered the 2011 Odyssey again. I like its interior. But when I imagine that I'd have to look at the side of this 2011 Ody for the next 10 years, while the 2011 Sienna looks so much better, I went back to the Sienna again. I know that this is very subjective, this is just me.

·
Registered
60 Posts
USA said:
But when I imagine that I'd have to look at the side of this 2011 Ody for the next 10 years, while the 2011 Sienna looks so much better, I went back to the Sienna again. I know that this is very subjective, this is just me.
I agree, it's a very subjective thing, and in my case, I'm the opposite of you. I disliked the Ody's appearance when I first saw it, but I see so many around here I've gotten to like it quite a bit, despite the odd side styling. The new Sienna, OTOH, is an abomination in the styling department. I know styling should be somewhat irrelevant on minivan, but still...

·
Registered
13 Posts
They are both good vans. I loved my first Sienna. I loved my Odyssey. When it came down to me getting a third car (long story!), I wanted to love the 2011 Odyssey, but couldn't get past its exterior. Loved the interior. Loved the Sienna's interior, too, but the Odyssey's exterior was a deal breaker for me. They both drive great although the Sienna has better pick up than the Odyssey (2011). I like the steering on both (different, I know). I love that the Sienna is more passenger friendly (the door buttons all being on the center pillar (?) by the sunroof. Just makes sense to me. Very happy with the Sienna.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We chose the Sienna over the Odyssey because the Sienna's steering wheel didnt need constant readjusting while going down the highway, the wife can easily reach the power door switch up by the center rear view mirror, the ride is more quiet, and the middle row seats come out easier and faster

·
Registered
6 Posts
I went and checked out the Ody before the Sienna. Felt the interior of the Ody was a bit roomier than the Sienna. The dash controls looked more well-put together. I used to work in a toyota manufacturing plant, so I know all about Toyota Quality. But I still gave Honda a chance by taking a look. The deal breaker for the Ody was its 5 speed tranny, as well as the exterior looks! I think the last gen Ody look much better than the current generation. The new Ody front looks likes a civic, the rear windows reminds me of the CR-V, and the lines are just totally non-flowing and puzzling. Everytime I see a new style Ody on the road, I give myself confirmation that I made the right choice...

ps, I also like the head rests on the Ody, they slide up, instead of fold up like our siennas...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I looked up transmission problems with oddessy , and read for days ,, Cannot believe it spans from like 2000 to current model , with a strong co , I'm puzzled why this was not handled after one year

·
Registered
13 Posts
I looked up transmission problems with oddessy , and read for days ,, Cannot believe it spans from like 2000 to current model , with a strong co , I'm puzzled why this was not handled after one year
I wonder the same too. And not just about Honda. Chrysler/Dodge, Ford and GM minivans too! Are transmissions that complicated?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, NO! Not in this case. You simply refuse to accept the fact that defective component do exist. There will always be a few defective engines, transmissions, alternators, compressors, etc... There is simply no chance to ensure that each and every component produced is perfect. Not even in the Lexus world. Hence the warranty!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts