Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone please tell what is leaking? The picture is taken from underneath the car. The left side of the picture is transmission pan. Not sure where the oil is dripping from? and how to fix it. Will change the washer to the bolt fix it? This is Sienna 2008 2GRFE. Thanks in advance.

Gas Tints and shades Auto part Automotive exterior Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Flash photography Motor vehicle Gas Auto part

· Registered
1,381 Posts
Hard to tell exactly, as everything is pretty wet.. It's brown, so it's most probably engine oil. I might guess a pan gasket, but that's a total guess. I would probably get a can of BrakeKleen and spray everything down (start high up in the engine bay and work your way down to the bottom) and let it dry for a few mins. Check it again for dry leaks, but expect to find none. Take it for a nice 20-30 minute drive, come back and check for leaks again. You should be able to pinpoint exactly where it is coming from.

· Registered
545 Posts
Can you remove the cover plate for the torque converter bolts? If the flex plate and back of the block are wet, it’s likely the rear main seal. Possibly an oil gallery plug back there. If the transmission side of the torque converter is wet, it could be the transmission input seal or front pump seal.

Sixto
‘04 LE FWD 207K miles

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the advice. I might need first to figure out where all these parts are located: main oil seal, oil gallery plug, torque converter etc, I am not that handy, guess starting from googling. If I can figure this out, will update here.

· Registered
1,381 Posts
Thank you all for the advice. I might need first to figure out where all these parts are located: main oil seal, oil gallery plug, torque converter etc, I am not that handy, guess starting from googling. If I can figure this out, will update here.
That's why I said to spray it clean first. You can spray everything off starting from the top (valve cover leaks are common in older cars) and find out if it's coming from one area or another or if it's coming from multiple areas. Speaking from "leaky BMW" experience, a grimy engine with a leak is the worst. The problem is, the drip on your driveway comes off the bottom. In the case of the BMW, I had multiple leaks coming from the top. The valve cover leaked, the oil filter gasket housing leaked, the PCV system leaked, the dipstick neck leaked AND there was some wetness around the oil pan gasket. I kept guessing at where the leak was, only to find that it still leaked afterwards because it ALL leaked. Had I known that, I would have done the labor once instead of 4 times.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts