Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

A few months ago, my car (2012 Sienna) shows 297 miles on a full tank.
One month ago, it shows 350 miles.
Yesterday, it shows 403 miles.

Question> What is your reading on Distance to empty?

Thank you

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
My 2014 distance to empty is similar to yours - it's all over the place. The broad range may have something to do with the mpg from the previous tank full, how much fuel I most recently pumped into the tank, or space aliens.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So basically, this number is not accurate.
Originally, I thought the mileage increased b/c I used fuel injector cleaner and replaced the engine air filter after 10K miles.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
So basically, this number is not accurate.
Correct. It's doo-doo.

I once drove our Sienna a little over 100 miles after the distance to empty showed zero miles and there were still a couple of gallons left in the tank when I filled up. That occasion resulted in some screaming from my wife who was certain that we would run out of fuel. I've driven 50 to 75 miles a number of times after the distance to empty showed zero. It irritates my wife but I tell that I'm helping her build up her resistance to stress! I've stopped draining the tank down like that as much during the past couple of years due to the increased number of lane closures, traffic jams and detours on our frequently traveled routes.

I've noticed similar complaints about distance to empty inaccuracy on forums for other current and recent Toyota models. Maybe inaccuracy is a recently new Toyota policy. The distance to empty and fuel gauge on my wife's 2012 Prius is much more accurate and even a little optimistic. Apparently it "thinks" that EV mode provides more driving distance than it actually does.

·
Registered
2020 Sienna LE
225 Posts
Do you live in a cold climate? Everyone gets crappier mileage in the winter if you live in a cold area, so it would stand to reason it starts to go up as the weather gets warmer.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
19 combined city/highway MPG
City MPG:17
Highway MPG:23

When my gas tank is completely "empty" which is shown as 0 on Distance to empty, I can only fill up 15 gallons of gas.

403/15 = 26.8 mpg

I don't believe my sienna can have such a high mpg so the number shown on Distance to empty is just for reference not accurate at all.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Product Rectangle Font Material property Screenshot

Said my last tank, 360 miles , filled almost 16. It wasn't quite empty. I don't let it run dry. Usually near the last line. This time it was below it. Iirc it showed 40 miles till empty at the time of fill-up.

I'm about half tank now. I'll get and post the number next time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I always felt that the DTE reading was a conservative measure based loosely off estimated mileage on a tank and a few other factors.

Humorously I've always felt the every Toyota had a 'Wartime Reserve' tank after the clock hit Zero. I figure every toyota I've owned can go another 50-100 miles on the Wartime reserve. In case of emergency.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Mine ranges from ~375 (typical) to as high as ~435+

I've found that it depends highly on how you pump your gas as well as the angle the vehicle when pumping.

Fill as slowly as the pump will allow (use first click on handle).

The faster you pump, the more aerated the fuel will be and the pump will stop early, giving you less actual fuel when it all settles and less miles DTE (try filling a water bottle with your faucet at full blast versus a slow fill and you'll understand).

Most stations have a drainage slope, so its best to park with the passenger side lower than the driver's side.

This can account for more than a gallon difference by filling all voids of the tank before the pump stops.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts