Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my 2012 new and never did any of the scheduled maintenance recommended by dealer. At 153,000 miles now and finally getting a trans fluid flush (dealer recommended it, charging $150). Anything else I should get looked at around this mileage point? Car still runs great, no hard idle....but recently noticed a bit of a drag with acceleration. Clogged fuel filter? Vacuum hose? How much would something like that cost?

In last 9 years, besides 10k oil changes, did only the following:

Replaced the spark plugs at 120k: plugs only

Replaced rear shocks and rear axle bushings.

Trying to determine whether to repair and run til 300k, or just look at replacing with a 2021 model.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Do you still have the maintenance manual? (these are available online at no cost).

Your coolant is overdue, if it's original. It loses its anti-corrosion ability, over time.

The perceived hesitancy? Ever had work on the brakes? Those could be dragging. The fuel filter isn't a maintenance item; but at high mileage, the quality of fuel used over the van's life could make a difference in system cleanliness and performance.

Folks here trend against a full transmission flush, especially at higher mileage. That's maybe more prevailing wisdom than actual experience. There are many threads you could read here. Drain/fill is the easy maintenance, which freshens a portion of the fluid. $150 is a good price for a full fluid replacement, with the fluid costing nearly $10/qt.

You might try a shorter oil change interval, as a sort of "clean up." If you can DIY, do it. Use something like Mobil 1 Extended Performance or Toyota oil. The 10,000-mile oci Toyota recommends might not be optimal for engine cleanliness, especially around the piston rings.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Do you still have the maintenance manual? (these are available online at no cost).

Your coolant is overdue, if it's original. It loses its anti-corrosion ability, over time.

The perceived hesitancy? Ever had work on the brakes? Those could be dragging. The fuel filter isn't a maintenance item; but at high mileage, the quality of fuel used over the van's life could make a difference in system cleanliness and performance.

Folks here trend against a full transmission flush, especially at higher mileage. That's maybe more prevailing wisdom than actual experience. There are many threads you could read here. Drain/fill is the easy maintenance, which freshens a portion of the fluid. $150 is a good price for a full fluid replacement, with the fluid costing nearly $10/qt.

You might try a shorter oil change interval, as a sort of "clean up." If you can DIY, do it. Use something like Mobil 1 Extended Performance or Toyota oil. The 10,000-mile oci Toyota recommends might not be optimal for engine cleanliness, especially around the piston rings.
I checked the online manual, but couldn't find the maintenance schedule. Thanks for the info on coolant. What's the typical cost for dealer to change that out?

EDIT:. Found the manual, called Maintenance Guide...will look that over. Also, dealer quotes $136 for coolant flush.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
That's a pretty good price for a coolant change (assuming it includes the coolant?). The coolant costs about $25-$30 a gallon, and you'd need to have 3 on hand.

You should be fine with a coolant "flush." Just be aware that these exchange procedures involve machines, and require someone to operate the machine. A coolant change can simply be done by emptying the coolant in the radiator, then refilling, which is a low-risk procedure.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Get the coolant changed. Get the serpentine belt inspected. The OEM belt is high quality but you are at 150k+ miles and 9 years. It should be about $100 installed.

Other than that keep getting it maintained and listen for odd noises. I have a 2013 with 118k miles. All we've done is the basic maintenance. I changed the coolant last spring. We'll drive it for another couple years. No need for a minivan anymore.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Get the coolant changed. Get the serpentine belt inspected. The OEM belt is high quality but you are at 150k+ miles and 9 years. It should be about $100 installed.

Other than that keep getting it maintained and listen for odd noises. I have a 2013 with 118k miles. All we've done is the basic maintenance. I changed the coolant last spring. We'll drive it for another couple years. No need for a minivan anymore.
Thanks! Toyota quoted me $187 to change the belt ($159 after coupon). I'll add this to the list. Just did the transmission flush and coolant flush. And a can of BG 44k platinum helped tremendously.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts