Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the spirit of avoiding problems. With repairs/value % becoming unfavorable. What finally doomed your Sienna? On my brothers Sienna it was never changing the transmission oil. After it failed @ 230,000 the oil was black as ink. Lesson learned, I changed my transmission oil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For me it was spending $5000 in one year on assorted items. I bought it used from the second owner at 198000 miles. I just got tired of putting money into it. Looking to step up to a Gen 2 sienna. I have to second the transmission service. After just a couple months the transmission went out. My mechanic said the previous owners probably never serviced the tranny much. Dark fluid and lots of metal in the pan. Had to put a junkyard tranny in it.

·
Registered
725 Posts
My trusty 2002 has reached the end of its time.

The "arm" part of the rear axle beam cracked, due to corrosion--thank you road salt. There's not enough solid steel to weld a repair section in, and replacing the beam would cost more than the value of the van.

The engine and transmission are still perfect, if anyone wants to buy it for those!

Attachments

·
Registered
447 Posts
For me it was that the ac failed and I took a chance that it was the ac compressor. It wasn't, and I finally found a cracked tube under the dash mounted on the evaporator. That was after I replaced the evaporator and the front and rear expansion valves at $25 each. The tube, about 6" was $75. Then the ac worked for about a month. So I took the dash apart again (3rd time) and the evaporator was fine. I found a leak on the new compressor, which was under warranty and was just about to take that in for a free replacement when there was a light bulb that came on over my head which said "this car is not worth 1 more second of my time. Too many plastic door handles that break, tailgate handles that snap off. So I sold it for $1150, paid $1950 for it and drove it for 3 1/2 years. I've got to say that in my 62 years and about 35 cars this was, by far, the worst designed pos I've ever owned. It is garbage. The design if just plain f'd. Never have I sp[[ent so much time working on a vehicle and trying to convince myself that it was indeed a good vehicle. It isn't. I bought a Trailblazer for $2700, so minus the $1150 I got for the Sienna it cost me $1550 to switch over. The Sienna had some rust, the Trailblazer has none and 98k mi. The Sienna ac was broken, the Trailblazer's ac is great (has 1/10 the parts of the Sienna) and it has good brakes (that the Sienna needed all the way around) and Michelin's all the way around. To say the Chevy is a better vehicle is a gross understatement. It is in another league. I feel like an idiot putting my wife through the Sienna. Overall my call on the Sienna is still that the people at the top of the company are dishonest. The whole "replace the timing belt" game that all the companies did for awhile was nothing more than a scam. No car needs a rubber timing belt that wears out. Or plastic tabs on the hubcaps that break off. Or the plastic radiator you lean on and crack. Or taking out the wipers to change the PCV valve. Or the rubber hose mounted under the intake, basically in the engine. Or... The useless shop manual with no complete wiring diagram. The engine mounted at a slant so the oil doesn't drain right. The needless complexity. The needless complexity. (that was twice folks) * The almost complete lack of real knowledge anywhere about the vehicle. Garbage. There you have it, sell your Sienna, the Trailblazer/Envoy gets a bit worse gas mileage but the cost will be made up in not buying garbage parts like door handles. The Chevy is a dramatically superior vehicle. Cruises at 1100-1300 rpm. Tons of torque. The reoccurring theme with the Sienna was way too many parts and flimsy plastic crap. The bottom line is that the people at the top of the company were/are, in my oh-so-humble opinion, crooks. They conned the ignorant. Aloha folks. thanks PJ you were by far the nicest person on here. I know the admin's will be glad to see me go because although I tried to be a Happy Toyota Camper I had to tell the truth as I see it and you always tick off people when you don't just follow like a zombie.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Never have I sp[[ent so much time working on a vehicle and trying to convince myself that it was indeed a good vehicle.
Sort of your own fault. If your going to throw parts at a problem you don't start with the most expensive parts. Good luck with your GM. My Supreme International is great car as long as I repair the rust every 5 years or so.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Switch to synthetic oil so the rear valve cover doesn't get gummed out and block the pcv system and foul up the IAC valve.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts