Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

What was your MPG in your 2021 Sienna?

1 - 20 of 482 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm planning on buying a 4th gen Sienna but one major cause for concern is the discrepancy between the EPA estimated and what most people are reporting (which seems to be ~30MPG)

I'm wondering what kind of mileage you guys are getting in your 2021 Siennas. It would be helpful if you can include:
  • FWD or AWD
  • Trim Level
  • What kind of temperatures/road conditions are you driving in
  • Would you describe yourself as a conservative, normal, or aggress..."Spirited" driver? Lol.

Though not an owner I've rented a 2021 FWD LE from a local dealer that had 1,000 miles on it. Over 3 days, I put 275 miles on it doing stuff like commuting to work on the highway, helping to haul and move, and driving my family around in 50-60 deg F weather at sea level-ish. On the highways I cruise 70-75MPH and would describe myself as a "normal" driver (I'm not trying to hypermile the car). In the end, according to the trip computer I averaged 37.8 MPG.

What did you guys get? Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have over 500 miles on an XLE FWD and am averaging 37.4 mpg. Some of this is conservative driving because of the 600 mile break in period recommended in the manual.

I did 100 miles of normal driving on country roads (45-55 mph) on Saturday and averaged 42.1mpg. I also did about 100 miles in total pouring rain (not ideal for gas mileage) and averaged around 36mpg. All this while hauling a family of 5.

I am in NC. Temps have mostly been in the 20's, 30's, and 40's while driving this winter.

·
Registered
243 Posts
A few more Hybrid-Centric points to consider:

Hybrids are sensitive to tires - LRR or Green (Low Rolling Resistance) tires can make a 2-7 mpg difference - some might be running winter tires now that are not LRR.

Hybrids are sensitive to ambient Temps - Florida guy here, and with fuels available in FL the best mileage potential seems to be at 80 degrees plus. Trips to cold climates running winter fuel can decrease mileage up to 5 mpg.

HVAC settings impact mileage - leave it in “auto” at reasonable temps (68-76), fans maxed take a lot of juice along with higher temps setting in winter require more engine run time, colder temps in summer require a lot more compressor run time (electricity not being able to buffer ICE use).

Driving styles and terrain can also make a huge difference.

YMMV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XSE Awd Tech Package
96 Posts
I'm averaging around 25mpg right now with a mix of town and country driving. Winter tires, winter gas, -12 degrees Celsius or less (that's single digits in Fahrenheit) and I was plowing through 5-6"of ice covered snow last weekend with the occasional snow drifts. I happy with those numbers considering all of the above and expect to see much better come spring. On a side note at the deepest I drove through 12-16" of snow and it handled it just as good as my SUV.

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
728 Posts
We have an AWD Platinum, all stock. I am consistently seeing about 27 in 90% city driving in DC suburb area. We had mild to cold temperatures in the last 3 weeks. We barely have 700Miles on it so far. I am driving it in quite mild manner. I will see if next fill up is any better.

FWIW, our kids keep mid-row temperature on HI all the time for the fun of it. Both have Mid row seat warmers on too, along with both ours in front. Sometimes, steering wheel warmer is on too.

I don't know if this is related or not, but the battery fan behind the 3rd row right seems to be running a lot. The general area in 3rd row right also feels warm to touch. I am dragging my feet to get it checked out or see if google as anything on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Shows the difference between years. Staggering.

Hey guys, I'm planning on buying a 4th gen Sienna but one major cause for concern is the discrepancy between the EPA estimated and what most people are reporting (which seems to be ~30MPG)

I'm wondering what kind of mileage you guys are getting in your 2021 Siennas. It would be helpful if you can include:
  • FWD or AWD
  • Trim Level
  • What kind of temperatures/road conditions are you driving in
  • Would you describe yourself as a conservative, normal, or aggress..."Spirited" driver? Lol.

Though not an owner I've rented a 2021 FWD LE from a local dealer that had 1,000 miles on it. Over 3 days, I put 275 miles on it doing stuff like commuting to work on the highway, helping to haul and move, and driving my family around in 50-60 deg F weather at sea level-ish. On the highways I cruise 70-75MPH and would describe myself as a "normal" driver (I'm not trying to hypermile the car). In the end, according to the trip computer I averaged 37.8 MPG.

What did you guys get? Thanks!

·
Registered
69 Posts
FWD Limited:
The first tank came in at 36.7 with all city driving. The second tank was 37.4 with a mix of city & highway (38 on the computer). The third tank is showing 40.1 on the computer with city & highway miles. I haven't filled it yet, but will soon. The range is roughly 650 miles, which is amazing.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited AWD
156 Posts
It would be interesting to see how many people manually track their MPG. When I calculate it manually (gallons actually filled from the pump divided by the number of miles since last fill up), the actually MPG is about 5 less than what the computer shows. Toyota is apparently tracking that issue, but they couldn't tell me what was wrong.

I've got 3,000 miles on my '21 Limited AWD. Driving in Minnesota since mid December, lots of snow and ice covered roads, cold-ish temps (between -15 and 20 degrees F), but very conservative driving (eco mode as well). Mix of highway and city, but most of the time spent above 45mph. The best tank I got was 30 MPG actual. The worst was during the coldest stretch of temps and I got 25 MPG actual. I've got the climate control set to 73 degrees and AUTO, and the front seat warmers are almost always on. Tires might be an issue since they're only inflated to 33PSI right now, but that fluctuates a LOT with the temps, and I do leave them lower pressure in the winter for better grip.

I'm with @Taylo the Sienna in the snow is just as good as our SUV (Mazda CX5 AWD).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks to everyone who has posted, keep them coming!

Though the results from the small sample of 9 we have so far on this thread prove to be inconclusive, I think we can spot some obvious trends; most notably the difference in observed MPG between AWD and FWD owners. Simply, the average MPG observed by the 5 FWD owners so far equal to 35.3 MPG vs 27.3 MPG of the 4 AWD owners.

I know my calculation is not perfect as it does not account for the many factors that affect AWD vs FWD owners, but a correlational conclusion we can make is: AWD generally sees <30 MPG vs FWD's ~35+ MPG.

A large factor that is difficult to calculate is the impact of weather and road conditions. No one doubts high use of cabin heating and amenities, increased drag from snow tires and harsh temp conditions for the batteries will lower fuel economy, but would it affect it by 20%+? Hmm!! (I think not!)

We need more data points especially from AWD owners who live in non-freezing climates to report their MPG!

·
Registered
47 Posts

Though the results from the small sample of 9 we have so far on this thread prove to be inconclusive, I think we can spot some obvious trends; most notably the difference in observed MPG between AWD and FWD owners. Simply, the average MPG observed by the 5 FWD owners so far equal to 35.3 MPG vs 27.3 MPG of the 4 AWD owners.

I know my calculation is not perfect as it does not account for the many factors that affect AWD vs FWD owners, but a correlational conclusion we can make is: AWD generally sees <30 MPG vs FWD's ~35+ MPG.

A large factor that is difficult to calculate is the impact of weather and road conditions. No one doubts high use of cabin heating and amenities, increased drag from snow tires and harsh temp conditions for the batteries will lower fuel economy, but would it affect it by 20%+? Hmm!! (I think not!)

What we need now are all the AWD owners who live in non-freezing climates to report their MPG!
I have a hybrid RX, and the difference between cold and warm weather is very large in my case (Living in Canada and making mainly short trips in the city). I'd say it changes my consumption from 29 mpg in the summer to 21 mpg in the winter. Moreover, one could think that people living in cold weather are more likely to taking the AWD than those living in warm weather, which could explain the difference you're noticing. 8 mpg difference just for AWD seems a lot. My take is that weather has a larger impact.

That being said, I totally agree with you, more data should give us a better idea! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a hybrid RX, and the difference between cold and warm weather is very large in my case (Living in Canada and making mainly short trips in the city). I'd say it changes my consumption from 29 mpg in the summer to 21 mpg in the winter. Moreover, one could think that people living in cold weather are more likely to taking the AWD than those living in warm weather, which could explain the difference you're noticing. 8 mpg difference just for AWD seems a lot. My take is that weather has a larger impact.

That being said, I totally agree with you, more data should give us a better idea! :)
Thanks for your contribution @YoungDad! I think you put it very nicely when saying that AWD owners are likely those who live in weather that necessitates it. The mileage of your hybrix RX is both relieving and anxiety inducing. It's relieving to know that the impacts to MPG in cold weather seem to be typical but at the same time, sets my expectations for better fuel economy when the weather warms up.

I think it's important to explain that I live in Northern California where we can go from surfing at the beach to snowboarding in the mountains in a single day and that many Californians follow the weather for their weekend recreation. Ideally, I would like the AWD Sienna as there are patrols up in the mountains that require either AWD or snow chains to pass or be turned around. I also want good fuel economy as gas prices in California are higher than many other states and am not sure if I am willing to sacrifice 5-6 MPG year round (if that's the case) for AWD. The difference between 30 vs 35 MPG may seem redundant to some, but would equate to $300+ each year for me which isn't considerable, but also isn't insignificant.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Some may enjoy perusing the Prius Chat Gen 4 Fuel Economy link below to see discussions on the things that impact Prius mileage for the drive-train most similar to the 2021 Sienna (Gen 4). Keep in mind with base fuel mileage on the Prius being in 50s MPG range, the impact on the Sienna with a base MPG in the 30s will be smaller in terms of MPG, but similar percentage wise.

I have 200K+ miles experience with my two prior Prii (Gen 3&4) and current 19 Avalon Hybrid, looking forward to a 2021 Sienna AWD (scarce!), but it won't be until warmer weather here FL, with lots of AC load. Generally I have found my hybrids like warm (light/med AC), dry, and wind free conditions to maximize mileage.

PS - there are definitely differences in the operating characteristics of each of my hybrids that make certain things impact mileage differently. So looking forward to what everyone is finding on the 2021 Sienna.

Enjoy!

Prius Chat Gen 4 Fuel Economy

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD
200 Posts

We need more data points especially from AWD owners who live in non-freezing climates to report their MPG!
I’ll be putting that info in when I get mine. I’m in Southern California and will have an XSE AWD on Falken Wildpeak Trail light AT tires. Previous experience on other vehicles show a 0.5-1mpg penalty (Subaru Ascent and RAV4 Prime)

I’ll take the MPG penalty for ability to do snow and dirt roads with confidence

·
Registered
69 Posts
FWD Limited in Tucson (70 degrees lately): The last tank went 585 miles on 14.39 gallons = 40.65 mpg. About 200 miles was freeway driving at 75+ mph. The computer showed 40.1 mpg. This is the second time the calculated mileage came in a little higher that the computer reading.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I’ll be putting that info in when I get mine. I’m in Southern California and will have an XSE AWD on Falken Wildpeak Trail light AT tires. Previous experience on other vehicles show a 0.5-1mpg penalty (Subaru Ascent and RAV4 Prime)

I’ll take the MPG penalty for ability to do snow and dirt roads with confidence
@DadWagon Congratulations and please keep me updated on your future XSE! You live in a very similar climate and my main buying decision is between the XSE AWD or FWD! Do you plan to mount the Falkens on the stock wheels? If not, it would be awesome to see a Sienna with new rims in adventure mode haha.

@kjburns Thanks for your contribution kj. I've seen a few of your posts on mileage and that's just plain fantastic. I think you've mentioned you do more city driving which might be a factor. My regular split is about 70/30 highway/city.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have put about 580 miles on my XSE AWD, averaging about 35 to 36 mpg (using predominantly Eco mode) in the North East and on mainly a mixture of highway, country and some city roads. As I'm breaking-in the engine, I try not to exceed 60/65 mph on highway drives.

1 - 20 of 482 Posts