Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

What was your MPG in your 2021 Sienna?

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
@DadWagon Congratulations and please keep me updated on your future XSE! You live in a very similar climate and my main buying decision is between the XSE AWD or FWD! Do you plan to mount the Falkens on the stock wheels? If not, it would be awesome to see a Sienna with new rims in adventure mode haha.

@kjburns Thanks for your contribution kj. I've seen a few of your posts on mileage and that's just plain fantastic. I think you've mentioned you do more city driving which might be a factor. My regular split is about 70/30 highway/city.
No I’ll be adding them to my TRD Camry wheels. They are already mounted on my RAV4 Prime. Gonna snag them and put something else on. Was going to wait but my dad’s 2018 Sienna needs new tires so I’ll give him my 18s . (Photoshopped from a screen grab from Redline Reviews)

In my opinion the small difference in price, small mpg hit makes it a no brainer for us. Why limit where and what time of year for a few hundred $$$.

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
67 Posts
Update: I might just get about 400Miles from current tank. Up until yesterday, it was showing me about 150Miles to get me close to about 470 miles range before next fill up. Today, we we went out for some fresh air amidst frozen rain. We drove may be 30 Miles 50/50 city/Interstate. Now it it's telling me about 50Miles left. I am driving conservative and on eco mode all the time.

FWIW, I am filling up at a gas station that is on average 15-20% cheaper than other 4 gas stations surrounding it. I don't know if it has anything to do with it. Our 1st tank was from dealer which showed about the same range like the cheapy 2nd tank. 1st full tank was about 400 too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Low fuel lights and DTE readings are sneaky, and highly variable, especially with a new vehicle you are not familiar with. Jumped in our Avalon hybrid one evening, my spouse last drove it to the just above "E" mark, DTE said 50, no low fuel light. Heading across one of the long Tampa Bay bridges, notice the fuel was low, then the low fuel light came on, in 10 miles of driving the DTE dropped close to 30 miles. At the end of the bridge (about 6 miles) gauge was below "E", DTE was at 0, and still had about 5 miles to nearest gas station. After fueling, was apparent I had only a little over 1 gallon left in tank - too close for comfort. Would have been really bad during heavy stop and go traffic!

Yes - gasoline in FL can be up to 10% ethanal, and it has less mileage potential than 100% gasoline - so it can impact your mileage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
No I’ll be adding them to my TRD Camry wheels. They are already mounted on my RAV4 Prime. Gonna snag them and put something else on. Was going to wait but my dad’s 2018 Sienna needs new tires so I’ll give him my 18s . (Photoshopped from a screen grab from Redline Reviews)

In my opinion the small difference in price, small mpg hit makes it a no brainer for us. Why limit where and what time of year for a few hundred $$$.
Awesome choice on the 19x8.5 TRDs. I would choose the exact same size and width. Are they mounted with 235/55/R19s?

It would be interesting if you ran with the 18s for a few days before swapping the tires to see what kind of mileage you get.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Update: I might just get about 400Miles from current tank. Up until yesterday, it was showing me about 150Miles to get me close to about 470 miles range before next fill up. Today, we we went out for some fresh air amidst frozen rain. We drove may be 30 Miles 50/50 city/Interstate. Now it it's telling me about 50Miles left. I am driving conservative and on eco mode all the time.

FWIW, I am filling up at a gas station that is on average 15-20% cheaper than other 4 gas stations surrounding it. I don't know if it has anything to do with it. Our 1st tank was from dealer which showed about the same range like the cheapy 2nd tank. 1st full tank was about 400 too.
Thanks for the update @Sienna9816, that's really helpful. You reported 27MPG last time and from my calculation, if you are filling up the 18 gallon tank with 3 gallons in reserve, 400 miles/tank seems to be spot on when calculating 15gal by 27 MPG.

Since I've never owned a hybrid nor live in cold climate like DC, I was never concerned nor questioned the mileage impact of weather. Now that I am in the market for one coincidently during a cold time of year for the US, I might be just realizing a well-known fact that hybrid/EV car owners knew for a long time.

This is a good short read on how cold weather impacts EVs which would relate to the Sienna as well:
Tesla and other electric car batteries lose 40% of their range in extremely cold weather: AAA

·
Registered
97 Posts
Awesome choice on the 19x8.5 TRDs. I would choose the exact same size and width. Are they mounted with 235/55/R19s?

It would be interesting if you ran with the 18s for a few days before swapping the tires to see what kind of mileage you get.
Yes they are, I was surprised they make that size.

Also consulted with a few industry professionals and concluded the flow formed TRD wheel will easily handle the GVWR of a Sienna.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey guys, I'm planning on buying a 4th gen Sienna but one major cause for concern is the discrepancy between the EPA estimated and what most people are reporting (which seems to be ~30MPG)

I'm wondering what kind of mileage you guys are getting in your 2021 Siennas. It would be helpful if you can include:
  • FWD or AWD
  • Trim Level
  • What kind of temperatures/road conditions are you driving in
  • Would you describe yourself as a conservative, normal, or aggress..."Spirited" driver? Lol.

Though not an owner I've rented a 2021 FWD LE from a local dealer that had 1,000 miles on it. Over 3 days, I put 275 miles on it doing stuff like commuting to work on the highway, helping to haul and move, and driving my family around in 50-60 deg F weather at sea level-ish. On the highways I cruise 70-75MPH and would describe myself as a "normal" driver (I'm not trying to hypermile the car). In the end, according to the trip computer I averaged 37.8 MPG.

What did you guys get? Thanks!
Sienna (Toyota Sienna) | Fuelly
This Fuelly website is actively tracking the mpg for several 2021 Sienna owners.
The averages vary from 18.9 to 39.8 mpg.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Sienna (Toyota Sienna) | Fuelly
This Fuelly website is actively tracking the mpg for several 2021 Sienna owners.
The averages vary from 18.9 to 39.8 mpg.
Thanks @Jim19939. Fuelly was the first place I went to for MPG data which as you can see, is super variable. Fuelly does not account for the kind of conditions that the drivers are in which could be explained in a forum like this. Currently, the numbers we are seeing in this forum can be concluded as AWD owners will see ~30MPG and FWD owners will likely see 35+ and the discrepancy seems to be explained by the fact that many of the AWD owners are driving in very cold conditions with their heaters on.

AWD owners chime in your MPG if you got'em!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Getting right at 30mpg avg in the winter in a Hilly Area with 2021 AWD platinum at 3,000 miles so far. Recently got 38mpg on a flat, shorter trip. Sometimes we get as low as 25-26mpg in really hilly areas. But we’re about 5mpg lower than we expected. Maybe the summer temps will help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 21 LE only fwd, I get in low 30’s in town until this last week when we got hit with 10 to 20 degree weather, unusual for Houston, but dropped my mpg to mid 20’s, a lot of idling and running heater. But if you all going on your dash mpg computer, it is off anywhere from 2 to 4 mpg, too much, say if it shows 35 mpg if you divide number of miles by gallons of gas in reality it’ll be anywhere from 30 to 33 mpg, still not bad for a 4600 lb vehicle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Low fuel lights and DTE readings are sneaky, and highly variable, especially with a new vehicle you are not familiar with. Jumped in our Avalon hybrid one evening, my spouse last drove it to the just above "E" mark, DTE said 50, no low fuel light. Heading across one of the long Tampa Bay bridges, notice the fuel was low, then the low fuel light came on, in 10 miles of driving the DTE dropped close to 30 miles. At the end of the bridge (about 6 miles) gauge was below "E", DTE was at 0, and still had about 5 miles to nearest gas station. After fueling, was apparent I had only a little over 1 gallon left in tank - too close for comfort. Would have been really bad during heavy stop and go traffic!

Yes - gasoline in FL can be up to 10% ethanal, and it has less mileage potential than 100% gasoline - so it can impact your mileage.
By running your fuel that low, you are shortening your fuel pump life. The fuel pump is inside the fuel tank and the gasoline actually keeps the fuel pump cool, so with less than 5 gallons of fuel in your tank, the fuel pump runs hotter, therefore shortens the life of it, remember heat destroys.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I try to use Costco gas, because it is supposed to be a top tier gasoline, if you buy fuel at convenience stores you don’t know what you are getting, because a lot of convenience store owners spot buy their fuel ,the cheapest that they can get. Also go to a high volume station such as Shell, Exxon, Valero, Chevron, Costco, etc.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Driving a hybrid to get maximum fuel mileage is learning experience. No jack rabbit starts and no slamming brakes on for a stop, coast up to a stop, if you can’t do these 2 things you shouldn’t be driving a hybrid, because it won’t do much better than a regular gasoline only vehicle. Hybrids are for older people like myself, I’m not in a hurry to get some where.

·
Registered
25 Posts
But if you all going on your dash mpg computer, it is off anywhere from 2 to 4 mpg, too much, say if it shows 35 mpg if you divide number of miles by gallons of gas in reality it’ll be anywhere from 30 to 33 mpg, still not bad for a 4600 lb vehicle.
I've found the computer to be pretty accurate. In three tanks, I've gotten a little under the computer reading once and the calculated mileage was higher than the computer reading twice. The discrepancies were all within roughly 0.5 mpg. For example, my last tank came in at 40.65 mpg vs the computer version of 40.1. Even when new, the mileage has been at least 36 mpg, but I'm in Tucson with relatively ideal conditions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've got 3,000 miles on my '21 Limited AWD. Driving in Minnesota since mid December, lots of snow and ice covered roads, cold-ish temps (between -15 and 20 degrees F), but very conservative driving (eco mode as well).
So how has the van worked in the low temps? I saw one review that suggested the heater didn't work that well. I don't think it was that great in the Gen 3 either, but it is a lot of space to warm up. Any other cold weather issues besides the expected lower MPGs?

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
The reading in my 2021 XLE+ FWD after the first tank was 35.6mpg. This was about 100 cumulative miles on the highway at 75-90+, the other FIVE HUNDRED miles in local and around town driving, 0-40mph and 40-60mph mixed driving. Driving style is very conservative when it comes to accelerating and braking, but aggressive top speed on the highway (i.e. 90+ sometimes). Was pretty close to E, but no light.

I'm in FL and the majority of this tank was on ECO mode. I keep the AC on auto for the most part set at 65-70 depending on outside temps.

The fact that I can get 600+ miles out of a tank in a minivan is absolutely amazing.

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
67 Posts
Edit : Typos

I got 369Miles on 15.044 Gallons @ 24.5MPG on most recent tank.

Looks like more than enough folks seem to experience dramatic MPG drop-off in cold weather.

That makes me think, isn't Toyota with help from EPA, trying to hide something in plain sight? I know Hybrids have been around for a while, but what's stopping a good lawyer from making these people more forthcoming about the cold weather MPG limitations?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Edit : Typos

I got 369Miles on 15.044 Gallons @ 24.5MPG on most recent tank.

Looks like more than enough folks seem to experience dramatic MPG drop-off in cold weather.

That makes me think, isn't Toyota with help from EPA, trying to hide something in plain sight? I know Hybrids have been around for a while, but what's stopping a good lawyer from making these people more forthcoming about the cold weather MPG limitations?
Cold weather mileage drop-offs are not unique to hybrids - all cars will show evidence of this for many reasons. Hybrids tend to have higher mileage potentials, the higher the potential, the more impact to raw MPG numbers during cold/inclement weather. The biggest culprits are winter formula gas (you can't control this), road conditions (wet, ice, snow - you can't control this either), excessive warm-up and HVAC settings (you can control most of this). In extreme cold, traction battery performance may be impacted which is unique to hybrids, but usually not a huge impact. All of these factors are well known for years and well discussed, there is no conspiracy on the numbers, the mileage figures are controlled by standardized testing.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited AWD
123 Posts
So how has the van worked in the low temps? I saw one review that suggested the heater didn't work that well. I don't think it was that great in the Gen 3 either, but it is a lot of space to warm up. Any other cold weather issues besides the expected lower MPGs?

Thanks
It's been SUPER cold the last 2 weeks and the van has been awesome! Max temp never got above 0 degrees, and we were -15 to -30 the vast majority of the time. I am still going in to work, and parking outside at all hours so this van is getting the brunt of the weather. It hasn't had one single issue! I start the car using the app about 10 minutes before I want to go anywhere, and the van goes from -20 to 60 degrees while I'm still in the house. When I get in to drive, the seat warmers have already worked their magic, and by the time I'm out of the neighborhood the cabin is warm. The windshield wiper and side mirror heaters work really well also. It's been awesome having a digital readout on the dash for the tire pressure (first vehicle I've had that has this feature), as I've been able to manage tire pressure really well with my garage compressor. That tire pressure has fluctuated about 10psi as the temps got cold, and I imagine as it warms up it will be the same. Fuel economy hasn't been great, on this last tank during the worst of the cold I was getting about 23 mpg, but that includes all the running to warm up time. I have taken it out of ECO mode so the fans can really ramp up, and keep my windows from frosting on the inside, and the engine runs just about constantly to keep the heat, so I'm not too miffed about the MPG. It's still way better than our other cars that dramatically dip when the temps go down. Overall I'm very impressed. One issue I brought to Toyota's attention was one I mentioned in another thread, that there is a sizeable void behind the right rear wheel well. It allows a HUGE amount of snow/slush/ice to build up around the exhaust pipe, and throughout the rear bumper area. I mean this void is massive. They can't do anything about it now apparently, but for my fellow snow drivers, be sure to clear that area out! I almost ripped off the bumper and exhaust the other day trying to get it out of there, and I wound up with an ice chunk about 3 gallons. I'm telling you it was MASSIVE.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’ve got an AWD in Pennsylvania. I’ve already put over 4000 miles on mine and drove it down to FL for the holidays. Didn’t notice much difference in Florida. Usually get 30-33mpg on the highway. City driving is much worse, about 25-27mph. Though that’s usually short trips in cold weather. I once got 41 MPG on a long trip through some hilly roads. It feels like the mileage has gotten a bit worse lately...

21 - 40 of 50 Posts