Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

What was your MPG in your 2021 Sienna?

441 - 460 of 482 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Is this figure from the trip computer or your hand calculation?
I got only 389miles and went down till the gas light came on. I put in 13.8 gallons.
Yes, thats about 28mpg. Yes, trip computer said 27mpg for the tank. Its the worst ever.
On the brightside my log book said i filled gas twice before only once a month.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited • Predawn Mica Gray
39 Posts
The problem is that nobody has fessed up to running out of fuel so we do not know how low we can really go. On page 84 of the Owners Manual they talk about running out of fuel:
Someone posted this over at the Toyota Sienna 2021+ (4th Gen) Facebook group. It was done using a ‘19 RAV4 so not a direct experiment with the Sienna hybrid running out of gas, but a comparable Toyota hybrid model.

It gave great insights into how and why the system functions like this and why there’s still more gas in the tank even when saying 0 miles until empty.

Remember these from ~2 months ago? Well, I DID RUN OUT OF GAS!

After the low fuel light turned on, I drove another ~60 miles (not on purpose; long story). Then the car started beeping nonstop and I got this warning: "STOP in a Safe Place within 0.5 km (0.3 miles)." The gas station was about 1.5 miles away. I drove to the gas station without issues. Despite the display saying that the engine had stopped, the engine was in fact still on. When I pressed the accelerator, I could hear the engine revving, and the tachometer swung from CHG to ECO to PWR. This 2 second video was taken as I was exiting the freeway ramp:

When I got to the gas station, I powered off the Sienna. I put in exactly 5 gallons of gas. I powered on the Sienna. My display indicated that I had 89 miles to empty. My lifetime MPG is 31.4. You do the math/logic.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
I got only 389miles and went down till the gas light came on. I put in 13.8 gallons.
Yes, thats about 28mpg. Yes, trip computer said 27mpg for the tank. Its the worst ever.
On the brightside my log book said i filled gas twice before only once a month.
I grabbed a couple of screenshots yesterday during the 23-mile roundtrip in town, a sequence of 7 short legs with 5 to 60 minutes of parking between them. I can't tell what the actual consumption was, but looking at the screens it would seem like way above 27 mpg. Now that I am looking at these pix I can see that the first one is driving in the south-to-north direction, with no large elevation changes. The second one is west-to-east, with the elevation fluctuating in the 600 to 820 ft. range.

Gadget Font Vehicle Display device Multimedia

Sky Tree Font Plant Display device

·
Registered
220 Posts
Remember these from ~2 months ago? Well, I DID RUN OUT OF GAS!

When I got to the gas station, I powered off the Sienna. I put in exactly 5 gallons of gas. I powered on the Sienna. My display indicated that I had 89 miles to empty. My lifetime MPG is 31.4. You do the math/logic.
My guess is you didn’t run out.
The gauge is very inaccurate on a fine scale.
Range given just before stopping is different than startup.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I grabbed a couple of screenshots yesterday during the 23-mile roundtrip in town, a sequence of 7 short legs with 5 to 60 minutes of parking between them. I can't tell what the actual consumption was, but looking at the screens it would seem like way above 27 mpg. Now that I am looking at these pix I can see that the first one is driving in the south-to-north direction, with no large elevation changes. The second one is west-to-east, with the elevation fluctuating in the 600 to 820 ft. range.

View attachment 52410
View attachment 52411
Ive not used those graphs to comment. I definitely don’t go easy. I just drive.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Had to run some errands this morning, so here is a city driving log:

39 miles total, 4 miles of that on an interstate spur (65mph), the rest on city surface streets 30-50mph with mostly stop lights but some stop signs as well. 79*, pretty substantial morning work/school traffic (100,000+ person metro area, so not LA traffic but enough to affect MPG). One other passenger in vehicle (child in car seat).

33.8 mpg. All on "normal" mode. Received an 82 score on the driving app -- 1 fast acceleration (getting onto interstate), 3 harsh braking (one exiting the interstate), and 4 harsh cornering. I could have "hypermiled" a little bit, used eco mode, especially on the interstate section, and probably hit the EPA 35mpg.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited • Predawn Mica Gray
39 Posts
My guess is you didn’t run out.
The gauge is very inaccurate on a fine scale.
Range given just before stopping is different than startup.
That was my point. When you're supposedly empty, you probably still have at least 2 gallons. Even so, you still cannot start the engine even with 2 gallons in the tank (per the quote YT video).

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm very confused. Somehow I am getting about 44mpg, hand calculated. Pumped 6.88 gallons for 303 miles traveled on the tank the dealership filled up when I purchased the van.

Mix of city and highway. Highway speeds are mostly 65-70, up to 75. It's basically flat lands around here.

Reset the trip mpg, and currently at 44mpg average. I'll continue to hand calculate at each fill up. I'm not even hypermiling, as I don't know how. I'm just not driving with a lead foot, but I'm also aware of where I can accelerate slow, and where I have to get up to speed quickly like on freeway onramps.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
I'm very confused. Somehow I am getting about 44mpg, hand calculated. Pumped 6.88 gallons for 303 miles traveled on the tank the dealership filled up when I purchased the van.

Mix of city and highway. Highway speeds are mostly 65-70, up to 75. It's basically flat lands around here.

Reset the trip mpg, and currently at 44mpg average. I'll continue to hand calculate at each fill up. I'm not even hypermiling, as I don't know how. I'm just not driving with a lead foot, but I'm also aware of where I can accelerate slow, and where I have to get up to speed quickly like on freeway onramps.
I think you have the perfect combination of (1) Good driving conditions, (2) Favorable terrain, (3) Moderate driving speeds, and (4) Conservative driving habits. But yes, Toyota 2.5L hybrid synergy drive is the pinnacle of ICE-based propulsion systems.

·
Registered
303 Posts

Is this the new highest mpg recorded on here or on Fuelly? 41 is the highest I’ve seen and you are way past that.

·
Registered
303 Posts
290 mile trip down to the beach (Gulf Shores AL) loaded down with 4 passengers and a few hundred pounds of gear. About 10% interstate, the rest US highways and city driving. This includes about 35 minutes of idling at a park about halfway.

35.9mpg

Continues to impress me.

·
Registered
600 Posts
290 mile trip down to the beach (Gulf Shores AL) loaded down with 4 passengers and a few hundred pounds of gear. About 10% interstate, the rest US highways and city driving. This includes about 35 minutes of idling at a park about halfway.

35.9mpg

Continues to impress me.
Dang ws must have passed each other somewhere along the way. Just got back from OB last night. Several trips now back and forth 1600 miles round trips, with pretty consistatant 40.5 mpg range.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Dang ws must have passed each other somewhere along the way. Just got back from OB last night. Several trips now back and forth 1600 miles round trips, with pretty consistatant 40.5 mpg range.
We try to make it down to the AL Gulf Coast at least once a year. This is our favorite time of year down here — cheaper and less crowded. Any food recs while we are here?

40.5 makes me jealous, but that just means I can always do better!

·
Registered
600 Posts
We try to make it down to the AL Gulf Coast at least once a year. This is our favorite time of year down here — cheaper and less crowded. Any food recs while we are here?

40.5 makes me jealous, but that just means I can always do better!
We have townhouse down there so we spend 4 months in winter and a week here and there when we get the urge for some beach time. Yes this is the perfect time of year, less humidty, cooler and as you say less crowds. We have not been eating out due to covid but tonns of places. The van loves the sea level for mpgs and hauling beach toys, however it is a sand magnet. We like De sotos there in gulf shores. If you get in the water this time of year the rays are migrating and may run into some nasty barbs, pay attention to the flags flying.

·
Registered
303 Posts
We have townhouse down there so we spend 4 months in winter and a week here and there when we get the urge for some beach time. Yes this is the perfect time of year, less humidty, cooler and as you say less crowds. We have not been eating out due to covid but tonns of places. The van loves the sea level for mpgs and hauling beach toys, however it is a sand magnet. We like De sotos there in gulf shores. If you get in the water this time of year the rays are migrating and may run into some nasty barbs, pay attention to the flags flying.
One day we also hope to have a winter place down here. Thanks for the advice — saw some rays this morning.

·
Premium Member
2021 XLE Plus Gray
858 Posts
Cosistently getting 40+ in local driving according to the readout at the end of each trip. Have not taken any trips recently.

441 - 460 of 482 Posts